Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

Thread: Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

Does anyone have this helmet? It's pretty cheap and I'm not expecting it to be the same quality as a Shoei or Arai. But if you have this helmet...how do you like the weight and fit?

Re: Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

I really like the helmet, it fits the shape of my head better than the higher end brands.. the best part of the helmet is by far the liner, which alot of people don't think about when buying helmets. Once you ride on one of those >30' days you'll understand. Overall awesome value.

Only problem i have with it, would be changing shields, the system is very similar to the old HJC system, if your not careful, you can snap of a tab.
    ICEMAN11

1978 KZ650 SR Cafe
    2000 CBR600F4 - Sold
    2000 Ninja 500R - Sold
    1990 EX500 - Sold

Smile Re: Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

+1 My son and I got two last year for $129 at Zdeno Cycle. Comfortable, has vents, good basic helmet, I have put a motorcycle communications system in mine (headphones/microphone) with no difficulties.

I also have had trouble finding a higher-end helmet that fits well. This one is quite comfortable.

+2. Same as Barney. Expensive lids don't fit me as well. Now while this is a good fit and good value I actually had to get a larger size than my norm. This one is an XL while I usually wear L.

There is an interesting vid on Jay Leno's garage site done by an expert from Arai (I believe) and he states that we generally buy our lids too large. I can't see wearing anything any smaller and when I did try the Alliance in a large it was way too tight and would have hurt like hell.

I'd recommend them.

Cheers all,
    Spyug.
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

Thanks for the review guys. I'm glad to hear that just because it's $500 less than other helmets, it's not a POS. Definitely sounds promising!

Barney, can you tell me what communication set you used? I'm looking to get one for trips this summer.

Now it's just time to decide between these!

Smile Re: Icon Alliance SSR Helmet - anyone have one?

We got this:

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=3470

and two Cobra FRS radios.

Little fiddly at first but once you figure out where to place the velcro-mounted push-to-talk switch (Mine goes on my Trophy's clutch lever) so it doesn't interfere and is easy to push, you're all set. My wife either keeps hers in her lap or attaches it to the lugage.

Cheers

It fits wonderful...love the shape, good buy...BUT

I can't get ear plugs in, I guess I have to take some of the foam around the ears off. And its LOUD as hell!! So much wind noise..

But I wonder how cool it will keep me on those humid days, it has massive vents...so it does look promising....

I bought one for my son at the Black SUnday sale at ENVY. GOod price and nice fitting helmet and you and him are close to the same size

I like the helmet because although it is snug there is also room to breath! It does not feel as though the front is right against your mouth. I would recommend

Just an update...

I bought the green Speedfreak in S as according to the sizing chart, it is the same as HJC sizing (which I have). Unfortunately it is a tad too big...the HJC AC-12 I currently have fits snug after 1 season, the Alliance SSR already a little loose at brand new.

Selling it off (hint hint! ) and awaiting the XS to come in....didn't want to bother saving the $$ buying from US but apparently the green isn't available in Canada so just playing the waiting game now.

The Hydra Dry padding is amazing! That fabric is so soft. I like the chin cover and the nose guard features.

Quote Originally Posted by azia View Post
    Just an update...

I bought the green Speedfreak in S as according to the sizing chart, it is the same as HJC sizing (which I have). Unfortunately it is a tad too big...the HJC AC-12 I currently have fits snug after 1 season, the Alliance SSR already a little loose at brand new.

Selling it off (hint hint! ) and awaiting the XS to come in....didn't want to bother saving the $$ buying from US but apparently the green isn't available in Canada so just playing the waiting game now.

The Hydra Dry padding is amazing! That fabric is so soft. I like the chin cover and the nose guard features.

Pros: Sweet graphics, good fit, EXCELLENT liner. My noggin still works after bonking a tree.

Cons: Loud, heavy, liner fully removable for washing but can only buy the cheekpads, loud, heavy, ****ING LOUD.

But, for $150 I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Better than most else at that point.