Parking ticket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking ticket

Parking ticket

Parking ticket question,

Does anyone know what happens if you drive away from a Parking Ticket officer while they are actually writing the ticket and before the put it on your windshield???

Anyone ?

Re: Parking ticket

In that situation, do you know that the ticket is meant for you?
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

wow - ummmm....Rob where are you?

I can't see a ticket being valid if it was not served to you.
    Then again parking person is not going to risk life or limb to get it on your car, nor should he have to. He has the license plate #, maybe it just shows up on your record at the MTO and then you would have to dispute it?

I really have no idea

Many places in the GTA are now using electronic ticket systems, that immediately register the ticket when given. If you drive off, then presumably they could mail the ticket to you, or have an officer turn up at your door and present you with it. I know of nothing in Municipal or Provincial codes that would preclude this.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I know of nothing in Municipal or Provincial codes that would preclude this.
    Well there was 119,032 tickets canceled in 2007 because cars just drove away... and 129,034 in 2006

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation...activitybn.pdf

AFAIK, if it's not on your car or in your hands, it's not legal
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Interesting. Good to know. They're obviously using the electronic issuing system, as it is stated in that brief to have begun in 2006, so there really is no barrier to nailing someone later.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

If the ticket is not placed on the vehicle or served to the operator of the vehicle at the time of the infraction, then there is no service and the ticket is voided.

Parking tickets issued by ANY municipality are governed under Part II of the Provincial Offences Act-

From section 15 of Part II of the POA,

Service on owner
    (4) The issuing provincial offences officer may serve the parking infraction notice on the owner of the vehicle identified in the notice,
    (a) by affixing it to the vehicle in a conspicuous place at the time of the alleged infraction; or
    (b) by delivering it personally to the person having care and control of the vehicle at the time of the alleged infraction.
    Service on operator
    (5) The issuing provincial offences officer may serve the parking infraction notice on the operator of a vehicle by delivering it to the operator personally at the time of the alleged infraction.
    Certificate of service
    (6) The issuing provincial offences officer shall certify on the certificate of parking infraction that he or she served the parking infraction notice on the person charged and the date and method of service.
    Certificate as evidence
    (7) If it appears that the provincial offences officer who issued a certificate of parking infraction has certified service of the parking infraction notice and signed the certificate, the certificate shall be received in evidence and is proof of service unless there is evidence to the contrary. 1992, c. 20, s. 1 (1).
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

Thank you. I looked, but couldn't find it. I'll note it for future use.

Everyone ... that is the best news I've ever heard. Thank you ... thank you ... thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    Everyone ... that is the best news I've ever heard. Thank you ... thank you ... thank you ...
    If the parking ticket guy/girl is not that nice, he/she could just write it up and throw it on the ground.

You would end up paying in the end anyway - either through the fine or time fighting it. Hopefully this is not the case.
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

I don't think the Meter Maid would risk being charged and fired for doing that. Who doesn't carry a camera or a camera phone these days? They are sworn officers. They wouldn't risk it when 2 min later the meter maid will catch someone else.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I don't think the Meter Maid would risk being charged and fired for doing that. Who doesn't carry a camera or a camera phone these days? They are sworn officers. They wouldn't risk it when 2 min later the meter maid will catch someone else.

Where do they have meter maids? These guys are parking enforcement officers, maybe if you respect them they will respect you. But you are right, no parking enforcement officer would throw the ticket to the ground, they just have to mark on the ticket vehicle moved before service and go on with their day.
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

haha wtf? respect them and they will respect you? give me a break.

Yea and garbage men are waste management engineers. Toe-may-toe toe-mah-toe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoruin View Post
    haha wtf? respect them and they will respect you? give me a break.

Yea and garbage men are waste management engineers. Toe-may-toe toe-mah-toe.

+1 bro..... there are really some who ride among us (if you know what I mean)

I have a hell of a lot more respect for garbage men than for meter maids. Garbage men are performing what undoubtably is a useful function. 95% of a meter maid's work is just a cash grab for the city.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I have a hell of a lot more respect for garbage men than for meter maids. Garbage men are performing what undoubtably is a useful function. 95% of a meter maid's work is just a cash grab for the city.
    Oh I agree 100% no disrespect to garbage men, just referring to fancy titles people like to give themselves.

95% of a meter maid's work is just a cash grab for the city.
    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...-a-coming.aspx

“Last year the city ended up with about $6-million in net fine revenue,” he said. “Do they capture all the costs? Probably not. You’ve got officers writing the tickets.” In short, someone also has to pay the wages of the 304 Parking Enforcement Officers."

To break even, those officers would need to earn (pre-tax) just under $20 000/year. Is that likely? Training and equipment extra, I assume. What a lousy cash grab.
    Last edited by Flywheel; 03-06-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Toronto gets tens of millions of pure profit out of ticket revenue.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Toronto gets tens of millions of pure profit out of ticket revenue.
    Welcome to Millertown. Building a better Toronto with your taxes and fines.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

"Longer term, said Mr. Randell of Court Services, the city is looking at creative new approaches, to allow some motorists to vanquish parking tickets without a trial."

From the City's point of view (and not necesary good for everybody), a steep "court cost" in case you lose, would deter many offenders to file for a court date just for the sake of it. That would take care of future backlogs.

For the current backlog, just as it was said: "What they need to do is just take the hit and declare an amnesty".
    If it's too loud you're too old.