1987 Honda CBR 600F (hurricane) Insurance

Thread: 1987 Honda CBR 600F (hurricane) Insurance

87HURRICANE

1987 Honda CBR 600F (hurricane) Insurance

I'm 23 have my G-M1 and will have my M2 exit course and G-M2 before I get insurance, no accidents or tickets or anything on my record.

how much is too much, my buddy with a m2 for 3 months had this bike for
    500 a year,

is that what I should be looking to pay
    what companies will take on my type of situation and just the BIKE insurance and don't care if I bring my car with too.

thanks

-Lee

87HURRICANE

Re: 1987 Honda CBR 600F (hurricane) Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by 87HURRICANE View Post
    I'm 23 have my G-M1 and will have my M2 exit course and G-M2 before I get insurance, no accidents or tickets or anything on my record.

how much is too much, my buddy with a m2 for 3 months had this bike for
    500 a year,

is that what I should be looking to pay
    what companies will take on my type of situation and just the BIKE insurance and don't care if I bring my car with too.

thanks

-Lee

Can anyone direct me to a broker or anything of that nature I will mention your name so you can get a referral discount or whatever I can do for the much appreciated help......

thanks

Can anyone direct me to a broker or anything of that nature I will mention your name so you can get a referral discount or whatever I can do for the much appreciated help......

thanks
    Is your buddy over 25, had his car license for 5 years, and insured through State Farm?

I doubt you are going to find a rate even close to $500 as a new rider under 25, especially on a 600cc sport bike (NOT a beginners machine). Even if you were on a Ninja 250, I doubt you would get a premium close to that.

87HURRICANE

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Is your buddy over 25, had his car license for 5 years, and insured through State Farm?

I doubt you are going to find a rate even close to $500 as a new rider under 25, especially on a 600cc sport bike (NOT a beginners machine). Even if you were on a Ninja 250, I doubt you would get a premium close to that.

he was 23 with a m2 for 6 months or so, and this bike is consider classic or antique and is not considered a sport bike.. it's considered a standard. whatever that means

he was 23 with a m2 for 6 months or so, and this bike is consider classic or antique and is not considered a sport bike.. it's considered a standard. whatever that means
    Some companies don't consider the class of the motorcycle when it is beyond a certain age. For Jevco, I think any bike made on or before 1994 is not considered a "Sport", but this can vary from company to company.

The big deal is that most companies will surcharge a Sport Bike in the neighbourhood of 200% to 300%.

Get some quotes and see how it goes. Even if the bike is deemed non-sport, I would be really surprised if you find someone to insure you for the $500 range.

Just start calling some brokers and find out.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 02-26-2009 at 12:17 AM.

87HURRICANE

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Straight up ... I called a broker.. the cheapest they found me was $2000.00 for the season .... why the **** is it soooo expensive........
    thats more then my bike is worth and thats the only reason I got an old bike was to save on insurance..... basically if I can't find it for under 1100 Im selling it before I even get to take it out!

Straight up ... I called a broker.. the cheapest they found me was $2000.00 for the season .... why the **** is it soooo expensive........
    thats more then my bike is worth and thats the only reason I got an old bike was to save on insurance..... basically if I can't find it for under 1100 Im selling it before I even get to take it out!
    As an insurer, I could care less what your bike is worth. A $10,000 claim means nothing to me. What I'm really insuring is your potential to cause harm to yourself or others. This is why the insurance can cost more than your bike's value.

Best of luck, and keep shopping around

87HURRICANE

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    As an insurer, I could care less what your bike is worth. A $10,000 claim means nothing to me. What I'm really insuring is your potential to cause harm to yourself or others. This is why the insurance can cost more than your bike's value.

Best of luck, and keep shopping around
    no I didn't mean it like that.... Regardless of what my bike is worth, I would have thought 100000% that there would be a LARGE price difference between an 87 600cc and a 98 600cc bike......

how do they honestly expect you to afford insurance on a bike that is so old and so slow.... thats more then i pay for my brand new car... full coverage...

it's just rediculous....

no I didn't mean it like that.... Regardless of what my bike is worth, I would have thought 100000% that there would be a LARGE price difference between an 87 600cc and a 98 600cc bike......

how do they honestly expect you to afford insurance on a bike that is so old and so slow.... thats more then i pay for my brand new car... full coverage...

it's just rediculous....
    The value/age of the bike doesn't really matter. Most of your premium is for Liability and Accident Benefits (i.e. hurting/killing yourself or others). Do you think it's easier to hurt yourself on a bike, or in a car? So doesn't it make sense that the Liability and Accident Benefits insurance will be pricey on a bike?

You don't have to get Collision or Comprehensive coverage if you don't want to, as they are completely optional. Collision and Comprehensive are the coverages that are affected the most by the actual value of the bike, since they cover physical damages and theft.

Wow! My first bike was a 88 hurricane when I was 20 (12 years ago), and I was paying less than half of that... times really have changed!