zx7r...wont start clicking noise - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zx7r...wont start clicking noise

Re: zx7r...wont start clicking noise

PM suspeck, he rebuilt his carbs, and he has issues like yours, he is also in thornhill. good guy.

I would just take the tube going into your carbs, see if there is fuel comming out if you prime it.

Getting into second, maybe shes just really cold...move it around a bit.

Can you elaborate on what the bike is doing though? Does it crank over, and keeps doing that, but nothing - doesnt start/catch? or its trying to start, but it wont fire up?

its almost starts just about to catch..I just had the carbs jetted and everything tuned up right before i put her away..not its trying to start but just wont catch
    bikes 98 zx6r/01 zx6r, zx7r 99,zx6rr 04, cbr929, 07 gsxr 600

best thing to do IMHO.....get that old gas out and put new gas in.

I would make sure it is on reserve. Reserve is done by turning it to the right so that the 'handle' is straight up and down.

The zx7r does not like the cold at least mine. It gave me problems last year but after a few minutes of trying it started but stalled and then off again to the races with trying to start it. Bum starting these sucker is not easy as they are heavy.
    Andre
    tt600-General Lee

yea my zx7 hates the cold....i mean HATE IT! lol

when i ran mine out of fuel to take the tank off, it took cranking FOREVER for it get started...

since its so cold, try this: turn your idle screw all the way out, i find it'll actually want to idle then...
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    +1 its the relay, if the battery is charged and you still here clicking just short out the relay with a screwdriver or wrench and see if it starts.
    Sorry to be a noob but how do you short out the relay (specifically)?
    I'm trying to start my 04 GS500F but getting clicking from the starter relay. Fuse is good and battery is good also (just charged it and the "lights" are not dim in the "on" postion.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Before you do anything, make sure your kill switch is not on

I'll do my best to explain it,

your relay has two contacts that its plugged into, take a screw driver, wrench, and create a bridge on those contacts.

Basically, just touch the two terminals with a metal object, perferbly something that has a rubber handle (if using a screwdriver) and try starting the bike at the same time.

All you are doing is bypassing the relay. Sometimes its just a bad or dirty contact or a bad ground somewhere. It will spark, don;t worry about it. If the bike starts when your shorting the relay, you know its the relay. If its the relay, replace as soon as possible.

If it still does'nt start, look at the clutch lever connection and the kickstand switch and if your bike is carb, the fuel tap is on. Those are the most common problems when a bike won;t start that has a good battery/fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by taxnatural View Post
    to be honest the fuel button is abit weird i'm not sure when its off,on or res but yesterday it almost started..today i filled the tank and nothing..
    The 7R does not have a vacuum actuated pet cock, it is a mechanical input only. IIRC all the way CCW is ON and all the way CW is RES. The only difference is that RES feeds from a lower point in the tank, if the tank is full then it should not matter which one you use.

Quote Originally Posted by taxnatural View Post
    ya its carb and i do think any gas is getting in...i cant push start it either for some reason i cant get it into 2nd...i always have a prob with kawi's i can do it with any other bike
    Kawi's have a spring loaded 2nd gear lockout they call a "neutral finder". The bike has to be moving to get it into 2nd gear. To my knowledge, all their current sport bikes do this. It's not a problem you're having, thats just how Kawi's work.

A not uncommon problem with the P-model ZX-7R's is the fuel pump. The cap for the electrical connections on it is not really weather tight so moisture can get in there and make for bad connections. You can pop the fuel pump out, remove the cap and make sure all the connections in there are clean. I had that problem with my first 7R.

Quote Originally Posted by twinn View Post
    before you do anything, make sure your kill switch is not on

i'll do my best to explain it,

your relay has two contacts that its plugged into, take a screw driver, wrench, and create a bridge on those contacts.

Basically, just touch the two terminals with a metal object, perferbly something that has a rubber handle (if using a screwdriver) and try starting the bike at the same time.

All you are doing is bypassing the relay. Sometimes its just a bad or dirty contact or a bad ground somewhere. It will spark, don;t worry about it. If the bike starts when your shorting the relay, you know its the relay. If its the relay, replace as soon as possible.

If it still does'nt start, look at the clutch lever connection and the kickstand switch and if your bike is carb, the fuel tap is on. Those are the most common problems when a bike won;t start that has a good battery/fuses.

thanks!!!!!!!

[Caboose] I was figured you would pop up here eventually.

Caboose is right. Fuel pump is definitely a possiblility. If you want to check if the fuel pump is an issue, remove your gas tank and disconnect the fuel lines to the pump and connect them together using a brass union. The tank has enough pressure to fill the carbs and start the bike. It just wont feed the bike at high revs. if the bike starts without the pump. That is your problem. i diagnosed mine like this using an aux fuel tank (old bleach bottle and hose). You can also check the pump by running 12v directly to the terminals. If the pump runs, and the bike runs without the pump inline. Then the problem is your fuel pump relay. You can source these on ebay for a couple of dollars. I replaced mine a few years back on my 98.

Good luck.

You also wouldn't go wrong by disassembling your right hand control and cleaning the starter switch. It is known to cause starting issues. i.e. the clicking noise, especially when the battery is a little low. (Like when its cold out) Did wonders for my bike.

I had the identical problem with my ZX7R several years back. I can't recall for sure, but I'm thinking it was the fuel pump relay. Almost possitive. The ZX7R's are also known for faulty safety switches working loose, wearing out, and corrosion. Check that your side stand safety plunger is operating freely, and free of corrosion, give it a good cleaning. As well as the neatral/clutch safety switch, clean the contacts. The kill switches are also known to be an issue, take it apart and clean it up.

Just a few idea's that I was told to check when I was having the same issues. Appearantly some/one of these issues can also cut power to your fuel pump relay. Have you tried to open your float bowl drains to verify you have fuel going to the carbs? Be carefull though, as they generally seize in there, and have the potential to snap off.

Anyway best of luck, but I'm sure it was my fuel pump relay that was causing my issues though. If I recall anything else, I'll get back to you.

Also.... Never caught it in the thread, but do you have a manual? If not, I'm sure I have it on PDF as well as a Clymers manual somewhere.

Cheesy!

I have a 98 ZX6R and today was the first day I decided to pull her out and try to fire her up,.

I got it started first shot but noticed a LOUD tick coming from my fuel pump, Never heard it before, after letting the choke off, the bike was on but idling funny, then when I tried to give it a little throttle, She died, and after couldn't start anymore after that.

Petcock was in the ON position, but the bike wouldn't start. Then the battery died lol

Ken at Soar picked it up again tonight, as he did the tune up work again this year, he's diagnosing my issue this week, he said it's a possibility it's the fuel pump thats dead on my bike.

But the condensation in the electical connections is a very good idea to check too, never thought about that.