Why do you guys do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you guys do it?

Why do you guys do it?

Since there are only a small amount of people that can actually make a living out of racing in Canada, what is the motivation for the rest of you guys to race? It's extremely expensive.
    - I ride cuz i love it.

Infamous Boston Pizza Story
    "Gsxr 600 Boston pizza guy"
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=32439

Re: Why do you guys do it?

Not to sound like an a** but thats like asking someone why they play hockey knowing only a small percent of athletes make it to the NHL or other organizations that pay well enough to make a living at it. IMO being a racer(am or pro) is a passion or hobby that just happens to be QUITE a bit more expensive than your stick and ball sports!
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I Guess you don't have any kids in Hockey.... You're looking at $3000+ for a kid playing Rep hockey, more if he's a goalie

If you like to ride fast and have the excitement of competition it's cheaper (ok, Maybe not) than Impound fees, License suspension, Lawyers, Increased Insurance and it's a lot safer on the track

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    I Guess you don't have any kids in Hockey.... You're looking at $3000+ for a kid playing Rep hockey, more if he's a goalie

If you like to ride fast and have the excitement of competition it's cheaper (ok, Maybe not) than Impound fees, License suspension, Lawyers, Increased Insurance and it's a lot safer on the track

But they don't have ice cream or burrito boyz at the track for me to ride to?

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    But they don't have ice cream or burrito boyz at the track for me to ride to?
    True

But..

There is beer and bbq's and burgers and steaks and camp fires the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    True

But..

There is beer and bbq's and burgers and steaks and camp fires the night before.
    And Hot Girls in Tight Shorts

And More Beer the Night Before

And Hot Girls in Full Leathers.

And No Cops

And More Beer

I've been trackriding for a few years now, and racing for 2 and now entering my 3rd with any luck.

Is it expensive? Yep. Dangerous? Yep.

But even as much fun as track days are, there is something about the atmosphere of a race weekend that is completely different. Many new racers in the Soar series (you can see many of them on these boards are posting their Soar race numbers in their sig's) are going to experience that buzz first hand. Some are returning to racing and that a good thing for us all, with a brand new series!

Why do I do it? Initially it was to try it out. Then after a few rounds of finding myself battling with certain people. The rest came with it.

Just do it if you are thinking of it.

Ps: Hey John - you're an older dude - how many years you been racing? What brought you back?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Ps: Hey John - you're an older dude - how many years you been racing? What brought you back?
    Who ya callin' Old you little wippersnapper

I've never Road Raced officially in a Series, Hence why I'm a Rookie. But my first Track bike was a '78 RD400 Daytona Special so that gives you a idea ..

I used to Race MX, Enduro, Karts and Supermods (You want to talk about EXPENSIVE).. Then Came Marriage, Kids, Buying Houses, Work, Etc, Etc..

Track Day's are fun, but you miss the competition aspect of Racing. There's no rush like heading into that first corner in a huge pack. Once it's in your blood it's hard to shake...

Even with all the Trash Talk, Some of the most straight up people I know are racers who will go out of there way to help a fellow racer.. Something that's a rarity in todays society.

So When the SOAR Series came about, I decided it would be a good series to get back into Racing with. That, And I really do need my drivers licence and have pushed my luck on the street as far as I care to over the last 20 years.
    Last edited by CBRJOHN; 02-15-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post

Actually I'm quite familiar with the costs(of hockey, especially rep.). It was an example...... Why does anybody spend money doing anything they like...It was a silly question IMO, the end.
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

Quote Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
    Since there are only a small amount of people that can actually make a living out of racing in Canada, what is the motivation for the rest of you guys to race? It's extremely expensive.
    if you have to ask that question..well you dont get it and most likely never will.
    you then own a motorcycle that you ride. but are not a rider.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighter View Post
    if you have to ask that question..well you dont get it and most likely never will.
    you then own a motorcycle that you ride. but are not a rider.
    Good answer!
    *~Maggie~*

since we're on the topic of costs, how much on average does it cost to race per season?
    - I ride cuz i love it.

Infamous Boston Pizza Story
    "Gsxr 600 Boston pizza guy"
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=32439

I've been able to do it on the cheap in the past about $600 a weekend (about $4000 a year) Than you add any maint. costs, new bike, new equipment, new gear, crash damage and spares. Cost is pretty much related to your speed. I'm probably up to about $900-$1000 an weekend now + the extra's of course...and I'm still one of the cheapest guys in the paddock with only one new set of tires on the weekend !!! There are many who are spending $2,000 + the extra's a weekend.

The faster you go the more $$$ it Costs !!
    You May Wheelie Me Down The Road....But I'll Stuff Ya In That Corner Every Time.......

R.A.C.E. AM #16
    S.O.A.R. Nov #16

www.puretrackdays.com

A big thanks to my sponsors: Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd., Brooklin Cycle Racing, Pure Trackdays Inc., Z1 Cycletech, Bickle Racing, Hindle Exhaust Systems, Armour Bodies, Accelerated Technologies., Don Butt Autobody, North American Decal.

Quote Originally Posted by woodzee View Post

The faster you go the more $$$ it Costs !!
    So true! I just started track days this year, and already I need new tires...maybe I'll just slow down this year
    *~Maggie~*

havin_fun

Believe it or not, there are performance motorcyclists who ride simply for the enjoyment of the ride, not to be faster than anyone else. A shocking concept to racers it seems. How could you have a fast bike and not want to prove you and it are faster than others?

It's the difference between Tai Chi and conventional martial arts. Both share the same roots and basic moves, but the end result is completely different.

To answer the probable subtext in the OP's question, it's OK to just enjoy non-competitive track riding. If you are by nature competitive, then racing may be for you.

The camaraderie which is well-developed at racing-related events is growing at trackdays/schools as the community of riders get familiar with each other. It will take a little longer as there's going to be a lot more people involved in track riding than racing. It's easy to get to know "who's who" in a consistent group totaling around 400 people. The many thousands who hopefully will take up non-competitive track riding will make it difficult to know everyone well, as not everyone can show up at every trackday. If Golo's display at the Int'l show is any indication, they may be first to get hot umbrella girls to trackdays, but we'll see on that one... but bring your own beer, just like racing.

Nice to now have a choice where these once was none.

And this appears to be a symbiotic relationship. Without racers, there would be no tracks, but given the current economic conditions, tracks may do little more than survive without non-competitive track riding to help pay the bills. When the big players like MotoGP, Honda, Kawasaki (to name but a few) are struggling to keep it all together, it seems apparent there will be lean times in racing for the foreseeable future.

So come on out and ride track, no matter what your reason for doing so. You just don't have to race anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by havin_fun View Post

To answer the probable subtext in the OP's question, it's OK to just enjoy non-competitive track riding. If you are by nature competitive, then racing may be for you.

at some trackdays it seems like a race sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
    the love of the sport perhaps? Do you make money riding your streetbike?

Come out and try it. You will then truly know why.

Reading about it, watching it and trackdays may give you an idea but nothing is like lining up for the RACE

I did 4 regional rounds and the final national last season and it cost me about $6000.00 including 7 track/practice days. This is not including the bike, trailer, generator, warmers and etc. This was crash free $$$

Last year was my first racing year and it was fantastic. I hope to do it for many years
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

I do it because the members of my country club looked at me oddly when I started wearing leather.

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    I do it because the members of my country club looked at me oddly when I started wearing leather.
    Was that before or after the Christmas Party "misunderstanding"?
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com