Insurance on a Ninja 250r - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insurance on a Ninja 250r

Re: Insurance on a Ninja 250r

I wonder, if we switch 2 cars over to SF but the titles are in my dad's name and I bring a bike which will be in my name, wouldn't I get my own policy of just a bike? Or can SF put me on the same policy as other 2 cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistero2009 View Post
    I wonder, if we switch 2 cars over to SF but the titles are in my dad's name and I bring a bike which will be in my name, wouldn't I get my own policy of just a bike? Or can SF put me on the same policy as other 2 cars?
    If you have your own coverage on the car policy then you should be able to get the bike discount when u insure it. If youre insured under your dads policy then that may be different, but ive found that theyll find ways to help you out. Call up.

I am pretty sure that you would have to be on your Dad's policy in order to get the discount (which you can still do, even though you have legal ownership of your own bike). The disadvantage is that you can affect your Dad's insurance history if you mess up. I would contact an agent to be sure of their rules though . . . they will tell you straight up what your options are.
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Current: 2001 Suzuki GSXR1000 (4th Season)
    Previous: 1996 Honda VFR750F (4 Seasons)
    Previous: 1998 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (3 Seasons)

Quote Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
    There are ways to arrange that...
    How does one "arrange" that? The application asks "Is the applicant both the Registered Owner and the Actual Owner of the described Automobile(s)?" If No, give details in Remarks section.

Am I missing something?

My broker is Tribune Insurance (out of Burlington), I believe the policy is with Kingsway.
    I pay 1455 no collision for 19 yo male G and M2, living in Hamilton (Hamilton is cheaper than Barrie, I had my broker check that).

Side note, will my insurance go down for the next year?

I've never heard of double ownership on a vehicle. How would I go about it when purchasing a bike from a dealer? Tell the dealer to put both names on the ownership???

Percisely.

Husband-wife, brother-sister, parent-child are all common dual-ownerships I've seen.
    I didn't know that this was possible either . . .
    I'm an Actuarial Analyst for a Major Canadian Insurance Company. I analyse claims patterns to determine overall rate changes, as well as relative premium differences by various risk characteristics (eg. age, experience, claims, convictions, usage, etc.)

Unless it's private, please post insurance-related questions in the forum rather than sending me a PM.

Percisely.

Husband-wife, brother-sister, parent-child are all common dual-ownerships I've seen.
    The application has been designed to cater for this type of thing. Again I'll reiterate that the application asks:

"Is the applicant both the Registered Owner and the Actual Owner of the described Automobile(s)?" If No, give details in Remarks section.

Viffer/Controlone - put on your claims adjuster hat and tell me what you think. Furthermore, if Father's name is on the ownership, and he's a named insured, what happens to his rates when Son has an accident with "son's" bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    The application has been designed to cater for this type of thing. Again I'll reiterate that the application asks:

"Is the applicant both the Registered Owner and the Actual Owner of the described Automobile(s)?" If No, give details in Remarks section.

Viffer/Controlone - put on your claims adjuster hat and tell me what you think. Furthermore, if Father's name is on the ownership, and he's a named insured, what happens to his rates when Son has an accident with "son's" bike?
    I'm not a Claims Adjuster, and I'm not advocating that people try to circumvent the system with dual-ownerships.

I have no idea what happens in this situation.

I wouldn't put my dad on the insurance policy for the bike...isn't that adding another rider (more money)??? Besides, he doesn't have M-class license.
    I'll have to just call insurance agent and ask.

I wouldn't put my dad on the insurance policy for the bike...isn't that adding another rider (more money)??? Besides, he doesn't have M-class license.
    I'll have to just call insurance agent and ask.
    If the operator you are adding to your policy is less of a risk than you are, your premium won't go up with most companies. The policy is rated based on the most risky operator.

$1400 basic liability
    $1595 comprehensive theft
    $1807 full coverage 200 deductible

This is with Cornerstone Insurance and I talked to Andrew Dasilva.

I am 21/East York/EX250 2008/ M1 going into M2 in a few weeks/no tickets/nothing else insured with them/

What do you all think? I really am looking for cheaper insurance but don't know where to look. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttocks View Post
    $1400 basic liability

I am 21/East York/EX250 2008/ M1 going into M2 in a few weeks/no tickets/nothing else insured with them/

What do you all think? I really am looking for cheaper insurance but don't know where to look. Recommendations?
    That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you increase your deductibles a bit your premium should come down some; $200 seems like a really low deductible. I would set it at $300 or $500, depending on what you can afford should you need to make a claim, and the risk of theft/vandalism in your area.

$1400 basic liability

that does seem good to me...my company told me my rates (~$1300 basic) were after a 20% premium was added for being a first year rider and that after i had my licence for a year (june) that my rates would drop by 20% when the premium no longer applied.

btw...i'm with primmum. but might look at moving my car and bike over to SF if the price is right

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you increase your deductibles a bit your premium should come down some; $200 seems like a really low deductible. I would set it at $300 or $500, depending on what you can afford should you need to make a claim, and the risk of theft/vandalism in your area.
    FYI - Jevco does not negotiate deductibles. Deductibles are assigned. If the bike value is greater than $10,000 a $500 deductible applies. If the bike is worth less than $10,000 then the deductible is $250.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

You can always look to my signature for a comparison quote.

Don't know how to look at your signature for a comparison quote.

Don't know how to look at your signature for a comparison quote.
    Is this a joke?

He is saying he's an agent . . . you can email him. To make his life easier, fill out the following and send it to him:

DRIVER INFORMATION:

Name:
    Birthdate:
    Address:
    Number of convictions in last three years:
    Number of claims in last six years:
    Continuously insured for car since:
    Continuously insured for bike since:
    Drivers License Number:
    G1 License Obtained:
    G2 License Obtained:
    G License Obtained:
    M1 License Obtained:
    M2 License Obtained:
    M License Obtained:

MOTORCYCLE INFORMATION:

Motorcycle Make:
    Motorcycle Model:
    Motorcycle Year:
    CCs:
    Value of Motorcycle:
    Liability Limit: $1M / $2M
    Collision: No Coverage / $500 / $300 etc.
    Comprehensive: No Coverage / $500 / $300 etc.
    Annual KMs:
    Use: Pleasure / Work / Business etc.

AUTOMOBILE INFORMATION:

Car Make:
    Car Model:
    Car Year:
    Liability Limit: $1M / $2M
    Collision: No Coverage / $500 / $300 etc.
    Comprehensive: No Coverage / $500 / $300 etc.
    Annual KMs:
    Use: Pleasure / Work / Business etc.
    Last edited by VifferFun; 03-26-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Viffer.

Sorry to say, me asking that was not a joke. I didn't know what he meant by looking at his signature because when I clicked it, it opened up Outlook Express.

Now I know what he meant. Thanks again.

Thanks Viffer.

Sorry to say, me asking that was not a joke. I didn't know what he meant by looking at his signature because when I clicked it, it opened up Outlook Express.

Now I know what he meant. Thanks again.
    No problem. I wasn't sure if you were just trying to be funny

i today finally signed with state farm, they were the cheapest rate i found. 677.87 a yr full coverage 1m liability and 1000 deductable