Insurance on a Ninja 250r - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insurance on a Ninja 250r

Re: Insurance on a Ninja 250r

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I started looking into 250 ZZR. They still have 17's and more aggressive fairings. In my opinion they look better than last generation Ninjas. Supposably they have 5 more HP. How and why, I don't know. Maybe someone can tell me. It's hard looking them up because people confuse different models and years.

zzr
    http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...369308-800.jpg
    ninja
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...Ninja250Rb.jpg

Hopefully insurance on something a bit older and cheaper will be a wee bit lower as well. I'll find out tomorrow when I call State Farm.

I've seen used models from 2000 to 2005 on kiijiji, craigslist and such. 2,000km to 30,000km $2600 to $4,000 asking price.
    I'd rather get a later model with less than 20,000km on it.

Anyone have a clue of what would be a good price for one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    Yeah, you guys are probably right. I started looking into 250 ZZR. They still have 17's and more aggressive fairings. In my opinion they look better than last generation Ninjas. Supposably they have 5 more HP. How and why, I don't know. Maybe someone can tell me. It's hard looking them up because people confuse different models and years.

zzr
    http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C0...369308-800.jpg
    ninja
    http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...Ninja250Rb.jpg

Hopefully insurance on something a bit older and cheaper will be a wee bit lower as well. I'll find out tomorrow when I call State Farm.

I've seen used models from 2000 to 2005 on kiijiji, craigslist and such. 2,000km to 30,000km $2600 to $4,000 asking price.
    I'd rather get a later model with less than 20,000km on it.

Anyone have a clue of what would be a good price for one of those?
    I totally agree that the new 250's are a big improvement in looks over the old ones, but I don't think I would personally shell out the money to get one when I would only be keeping it a year or two. Dropping you first bike is so common, that it's better to do it on a machine that already has a scratch or two on it

I wouldn't worry about the extra power of the new 250 . . . the old 250's have plenty of power for a beginner anyways. I would start worrying about the power a bit more when you buy your second bike, and you will be able to afford something nicer if you save your money on a cheaper 250 now.

You might want to consider the later model Suzuki GS500F as well . . . it also has a modern look, and you might be able to get one cheaper because they've been out for three or four years now.

With State Farm, the age of your bike isn't going to have a huge impact on your premium.

as far as i knew, they just renamed the bike to zzr a few years ago. I could be wrong but I do believe that there were never 2 250 models during the same year. Those 2 pics are of different model years of the same bike. Not different models of the same year. Im saying that the ex250 and the zzr250 never existed as two separate models at the same time. the zzr250 replaced the ex250. I believe it was in 2004. I noticed that you used bike pics for one of those pics. Dont rely on the year they say their bikes are. They have people on there with 2006 zx12s but 2005 was the last year they made that bike. No wonder youre confused.
    Last edited by Zed-X-Rex; 03-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R

according to wikipedia there was something called Kawasaki ZZR in Canada only. If I'm not mistaken the 2007 and older generation of 250 Ninjas had 16" wheels and 35HP. Fairings were less aggressive. ZZRs did not have a Ninja name on the side, just ZZR. i've seen pics of 250cc kawasakis, definitely from the same year and they looked different. ZZR was called EX250-H.

that's an official pic
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gal...ZR250%2003.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...i-ZZ-R250a.jpg

These are both fromj 2003

notice the gap between the front wheel and the body looks way smaller on zzr vs ninja. and that's not just on these pics
    Last edited by DemonPig; 03-14-2009 at 05:40 PM.

You are right the ZZR and 250R are different models. They are essentially the same to my understanding aside from cosmetic differences. I can highly recommend the ZZR 250. It's a pretty badass little bike. Most people don't even know it's a 250, even people that know bikes. It can also giv'er pretty good too, it's got good acceleration (faster than almost any car you're likely to drive) and it moves pretty good on the highway. I've had it up to 170 before, but mine won't go any faster than that. I've had it since 2005, it was used but pristine when I bought it. I took a slow speed spill a month after I got it which made me cry when I saw all the rash on the fairings. But it's a good bike and people tell you that the 250 will get old, or you'll outgrow it, I haven't yet. And paying sub $500 /year insurance will never get old. It's a fun bike to ride because you can wring it out and not get yourself into trouble. I've heard it's better to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

Quote Originally Posted by DemonPig View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R

according to wikipedia there was something called Kawasaki ZZR in Canada only. If I'm not mistaken the 2007 and older generation of 250 Ninjas had 16" wheels and 35HP. Fairings were less aggressive. ZZRs did not have a Ninja name on the side, just ZZR. i've seen pics of 250cc kawasakis, definitely from the same year and they looked different. ZZR was called EX250-H.

that's an official pic
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gal...ZR250%2003.jpg

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...i-ZZ-R250a.jpg

These are both fromj 2003

notice the gap between the front wheel and the body looks way smaller on zzr vs ninja. and that's not just on these pics

YES! I knew it!

Seriously though, that's what I thought: ZZR and Ninja are like base and upgraded versions in a car. Larger rims and a body kit.

So there's no 5 extra HP?

ok i looked at wikipedias site and its inaccurate.the pic under the third generation header says its a 98 and thats bs. way too confusing
    Last edited by Zed-X-Rex; 03-14-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zed-X-Rex View Post
    ok i looked at wikipedias site and its inaccurate.the pic under the third generation header says its a 98 and thats bs. way too confusing
    don't expect wiki's to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    But it's a good bike and people tell you that the 250 will get old, or you'll outgrow it, I haven't yet.
    I agree. I rode my Ninja 250 for three years, and the only reason I upgraded to the VFR was because the bike was wrecked in a not-at-fault collision.

Now I just upgraded from the VFR750 to a GSXR1000 . . . and I don't really have any rational reason for doing so

wow. i dont understand how you guys got all these cheap quotes. I called state farm, kingsway and a few other companys today and they all quoted me 2400 roughly and had to pay within 4-6 months.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    I agree. I rode my Ninja 250 for three years, and the only reason I upgraded to the VFR was because the bike was wrecked in a not-at-fault collision.

Now I just upgraded from the VFR750 to a GSXR1000 . . . and I don't really have any rational reason for doing so
    i think that badassness is rational reasoning when it comes 2 bikes.

I am going with State Farm.

I have just to send them a copy of the ownership, which i should get this week but.

my quote was $650 full coverage with a 1000 deductiable
    and $676 with a 500 deductiable

26/m2 new rider
    no otehr vechiles with them

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie85 View Post
    wow. i dont understand how you guys got all these cheap quotes. I called state farm, kingsway and a few other companys today and they all quoted me 2400 roughly and had to pay within 4-6 months.!!!
    If you are under 21, its going to be alot especially with Kingsway. If you are 21-24, I'd say go with Jevco. If you are over 25, it will probably be low for most insurance companies if you havent had any accidents/tickets. That is all just from research from these forums, best to call yourself and ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by Frackz View Post
    I am going with State Farm.

I have just to send them a copy of the ownership, which i should get this week but.

my quote was $650 full coverage with a 1000 deductiable
    and $676 with a 500 deductiable

26/m2 new rider
    no otehr vechiles with them
    Just curious, but who was your State Farm agent? I'm just a year younger and am going to get my M2 in two weeks (RTI). I was quoted by one SF agent at 815 /w $500 deductible & full coverage for a 250R (still cheaper than most of the other companies I've asked).

I fully intend on asking around, so I'm collecting the contact info of as many agents as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    Just curious, but who was your State Farm agent? I'm just a year younger and am going to get my M2 in two weeks (RTI). I was quoted by one SF agent at 815 /w $500 deductible & full coverage for a 250R (still cheaper than most of the other companies I've asked).

I fully intend on asking around, so I'm collecting the contact info of as many agents as I can.
    The difference is probably the length of G license between you and him .... assuming tickets do not come into play ..

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    The difference is probably the length of G license between you and him .... assuming tickets do not come into play ..
    This is probably true. I've had my license (starting from G1) since Dec. 2000 and thankfully no tickets yet.

It's gonna be a hard April for sure...

Guys, do post agents you contacted, so we can save our time and go directly to them.
    Thanks!

Zed-X-Rex gave me his State Farm agent's number 905 750 7530 (Bob Bushchak) in Brampton and they quoted me $65 a month with no riding experience and 2 minor tickets which is way better than $100/month TD gave me.
    That's on a brand new Ninja and I'm probably gonna get a used ZZR250 so it should be a bit lower even.

On a side note: my G experience (13 years) matters little to insurance companies.
    Age is huge (over 25), tickets and claims are huge. Size of the engine. Anything else doesn't matter much for a new rider.

I was just quoted $631/yr with State Farm for my 06 Ninja 250. I'm 25 with M2, and G from like 2005.

They only asked my age, my postal code... which was kind of weird. but i guess that sounds good to me!

SF all the way. Get your cars and property in there too and ull nab some multi discounts.