Frame slider installation made easy!

Thread: Frame slider installation made easy!

Frame slider installation made easy!

I came up with a way to installing frame sliders without removing the fairings. You will have to remove the lower cowl inorder to pull the middle fairing out a bit. What I did was made a tool with a sharp point on the end of it that will fit into the 17mm socket. Pull the middle fairing out and slide the socket under the fairing and onto the frame bolt. Once this is done apply pressure with your hand on the outer fairing, this will put pressure on the socket with the sharp tool inside of it which will pierce into the fairing. This will give you a center point where you can drill through the fairing with you hole saw. I did both sides on my CBR1000 in about an hour and I never removed the fairings! Just a couple of pointers, if you keep your bike in the garage and the fairings are cold then you might want to heat them up with a heater so that you don't crack them when applying pressure on the piercing tool, you will also find with the fairings warm that the tool will pierce the plastic easier, when you drill your hole make sure to pull the fairing out a bit so that you don't drill into any hoses etc. When you go to put on your "Vortex" frame sliders your will find that your 19mm socket will not fit inside the slider so that you can't tighten it. I had to shave down my 19mm deep socket inorder to complete the installation. Why would Vortex do that!!!!!!!!
    Anyways, I hope this little trick helps. I know it will speed up the installation process and will relieve many frustrations associated when installing frame sliders. It has just become a no brainer as it has taken out all the guess work of drilling holes in the wrong place and ruining your fairing!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by 08CBR1000; 10-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Re: Frame slider installation made easy!

Sorry here's one more pic of what the tool looks like when you put it behind your fairing. Notice that I have put tape around 5 washers in order to have the piercing tool protrude more. I also used a 2" hole saw so that there will be a small space around the slider. The reason for this is if the bike goes over you won't crack the fairing due to the fairing having the ability to flex a bit, if the fairing was tight against the frame slider then you could possibly crack the fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by 08CBR1000 View Post
    Sorry here's one more pic of what the tool looks like when you put it behind your fairing. Notice that I have put tape around 5 washers in order to have the piercing tool protrude more. I also used a 2" hole saw so that there will be a small space around the slider. The reason for this is if the bike goes over you won't crack the fairing due to the fairing having the ability to flex a bit, if the fairing was tight against the frame slider then you could possibly crack the fairing.
    Why won't this picture upload!!
    Last edited by 08CBR1000; 10-30-2009 at 07:23 PM.

where did you get those yosh case savers?

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    where did you get those yosh case savers?
    Bayside performance
    http://www.baysideperformance.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by 08CBR1000 View Post
    When you go to put on your "Vortex" frame sliders your will find that your 19mm socket will not fit inside the slider so that you can't tighten it. I had to shave down my 19mm deep socket inorder to complete the installation. Why would Vortex do that!!!!!!!!

When you installed your frame slider bases, did you use the OEM engine mount bolt, did you not use the included longer socket head cap screw?

I'm pretty sure vortex always includes the longer bolts, with socket heads rather then hex heads (there should be no shaving of a 19mm hex socket required)

If you used the OEM bolt, didn't it hardly catch any threads?

LOL....good thinking....easy way to line them up on my track bike

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    When you installed your frame slider bases, did you use the OEM engine mount bolt, did you not use the included longer socket head cap screw?

I'm pretty sure vortex always includes the longer bolts, with socket heads rather then hex heads (there should be no shaving of a 19mm hex socket required)

I never said that I shaved any 19mm "HEX" socket. I had to shave the sides of my 19mm deep socket because it would not fit into the frame slider in order for me to tighten the longer bolts! If you can fit your 19mm deep socket into the center of the frame slider to tighten the bolt then good luck getting it out!!!! You can't use the OEM engine mount bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post

As far as the head cap screw goes, in the instructions tell you not to use them.