2000 Yammie xt350 for first DS

Thread: 2000 Yammie xt350 for first DS

2000 Yammie xt350 for first DS

Been riding on the street forever but my buddy thinks I would really like the dual sport scene and I agree.

There's a 2000 XT350 that's been for sale for a very long time and I'm going to try to lowball it. Would this bike make a good first dual sport?

I have read the front end is a little soft for heavy off road.

Any thoughts?
    ride - if you want to

Re: 2000 Yammie xt350 for first DS

Anybody????
    ride - if you want to

I wouldn't. Since you have been riding for a while I'd go with something with a bit more power and better suspension.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Any suggestions?

I'm 5'6" / 160lbs. You don't think a 350 is big enough? As to the soft (so I've read) front end could that be cured with aftermarket springs?

I'm keen on this bike because I think I can get a good deal on it.
    ride - if you want to

It will feel heavy and undersuspended. The suspension would take more than springs to fix unfortunately. As for the power department. Depending on what you currently ride on the street most dual sports will feel gutless by comparison. The XT will be even worse.

But... If you can get a good enough deal on it buy it and ride it for a season. You probably won't take much of a loss when you upgrade as there is a good chance you will outgrow it really quick.

As for suggestions, I guess you have to go with what you can find in your price range and choose the from there.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

So the concensus is the XT is a under suspended gutless wonder....
    ride - if you want to

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

It depends what you want.. If you want a Street Legal MX bike , It's not the one. If you want a mild bike for exploring off road and a Urban Bike, It would be good for that. The XTs are pretty bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    So the concensus is the XT is a under suspended gutless wonder....
    You got it. !980's technology. Great for carrying a family of five including pets and half a chord of firewood, but only for the billions of underfed southeast Asian tsunami participants. Up here in the northern hemisphere you'll want to man up with something less wheezy/embarrasing.
    The XT350 is better than any street only bike for dirt riding. It's no worse than a KLR650, only smaller. That's a good thing, off road. It'll be good for learning dirt riding and/or exploreing the great outdoors.
    The difference in ride quality between a clapped out early '90s MX bike and a good condition XT350 is not to be believed. Damper rod forks are like that.

Inreb - I don't understand you're last comment. Are you saying a clapped out 90s MX bike still has better suspension than an XT? You also make the comparison to a KLR - I thought they were a capable (if not kind of big ) off road machine.

I want the bike because I want to go dual sport riding with buddies. Has to be street legal for the gravel road portions and would allow me sometimes to ride it there rather than trailer it.

Some of them are on KLR650s, some on high end KTM and my buddy has a tweaked DRZ400. I don't expect to keep up to them. Even if I had a better ride my off road skills need work - but in the end they'd wait for me.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Inreb - I don't understand you're last comment. Are you saying a clapped out 90s MX bike still has better suspension than an XT? You also make the comparison to a KLR - I thought they were a capable (if not kind of big ) off road machine.

I want the bike because I want to go dual sport riding with buddies. Has to be street legal for the gravel road portions and would allow me sometimes to ride it there rather than trailer it.

Some of them are on KLR650s, some on high end KTM and my buddy has a tweaked DRZ400. I don't expect to keep up to them. Even if I had a better ride my off road skills need work - but in the end they'd wait for me.
    Worn out early '90's MX would be better than new XT350 suspension. An odd comparison perhaps, and maybe not legitemate because of the differences in weight etc. but the XT350 "playbike" type suspensions are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Skinny, non-adjustable damper rod forks (like the KLR) are OK for dirt if ridden accordingly. Yes, we all know somebody who performs magic on a XL185 but that's the exception by far.

The KLR650's are good work horses but you will never see one scimming across the desert or knifing thru the trails like a KTM. Never.

If you get a good deal on the XT, grab it for a learning and crashing tool. But if you plan to stick with dual sporting you WILL upgrade at some point. So you're in for a minimum of two bikes right there.
    Last edited by inreb; 02-14-2009 at 06:09 PM.

thoughts on this in my head.
    I have a dual sport in my collection of crap, its a vintage '79 XR185 with XL bits to make it plated. Its underpowered on the road, but it doesn't go road much. The suspension is crap, its '79.
    There are no deserts near my house, I can run in the bush with 350's and 400's and when the mud is 1ft deep and the guys with 650's are looking for tow ropes I can pull mine out alone.
    It cost $300 bucks, I have $500 in it total. When i'm done i'm confident I'll get 80% of that back.
    When you hit a tree on your BMW/ varadero?/KTM and crack a plastic bit that costs 300-400 you will feel bad. Bury your 8k cruiser in a swamp and try to not feel bad.
    If you buy a beater and like the sport , upgrade. I use to attempt things I could not afford to "learn" on a better bike.

FWIW i think being a dirt rider will make most people better road riders.

So what you're saying is I should by your beater for 400$.

I'm up for that......
    ride - if you want to

What it says is "when I'm done I'm confident I'll get 80%"

I'm not done yet.

Comprehension skills people.

I guess my point is I like more than one activity in my life and if i bought the shiney new everything, then i couldn't afford to have lots of toys. Depreciation takes the glow off shiney new stuff fast.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post

Comprehension skills people.
    Double U TEE EFF????

Good points by everyone, I'll just share this for perspective.

I went through the exact same thing as you when I was deciding on a bike and when looking for information on the xt, I would always come up with comparisons to the Suzuki dr350...with the suzuki coming out on top.

I checked this one out in Guelph in person, which I think is still for sale. I'm not sure what the cost on the xt is, but this dr is a beauty. It's on the ODSC site. I ended up going with a newer bike because I'm not all that mechanically inclined. Scroll down in link for pics.
    http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13224

cheers
    Last edited by trevi; 02-15-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

Nothing wrong with the XT350, buy it, ride it, crash it and have fun, if further down the road you want something better, do it then.
    If bike riding is a drug go get hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    Nothing wrong with the XT350, buy it, ride it, crash it and have fun, if further down the road you want something better, do it then.
    +1 on pompey. a lot of people get hung up on whats the best. buying something cheap makes it a lot easier for you to flog the bike without worrying about damaging the thing. plus it gives you an excuse for taking up the rear of the pack...or, makes you a "hero" if you run anywhere near the front! lol. in reality i don't think too many go trail riding dualsports like there motocrossing.

bought myself an 84 DT200 for $500 last year and its a rockin great time - baffed out suspension and all. i can even keep up with my kid on his XR50!!!

cheap bike or not, riding the dirt is the best bang for your dollar by far. just do it, no regrets. P.S. dirt boots, gloves, and elbow pads....are a must
    Last edited by boyoboy; 02-17-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca