The state of TMP - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The state of TMP

Re: The state of TMP

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    A decent video summing up the current state of TMP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8E_FtDg3bY
    (Oh and that looks like a decent way to apex turn 12-13)
    Lap time 1:29
    yikes. since everyone else seems to have more interest in commenting on the riders skill rather than the track i will say it....that corner heading towards the wall at the corner exit is not a good thing for riders, and i am surprised at the lack of at least haybales (even for a track day). bad angle towards the wall.

***** happens and all of us are aware of the danger.

airfences: are they good? i have a lot of respect for mr bickle and was impressed to hear is the safety guy for soar. but he can only work with what he has.

what would it cost for airfence? mucho dollars probally. rental maybe?

i'm thinking starting a fund for an air fence would be a constructive goal. will it work there? i don't have the expertise to say. but that wall struck me (pun intended).

i'd like to get feedback on this idea of an airfence. any experienced fund raisers with time on their hands? just an idea....
    Last edited by boyoboy; 02-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

Re: The state of TMP

Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    yikes. since everyone else seems to have more interest in commenting on the riders skill rather than the track i will say it....that corner heading towards the wall at the corner exit is not a good thing for riders, and i am surprised at the lack of at least haybales (even for a track day). bad angle towards the wall.

***** happens and all of us are aware of the danger.

airfences: are they good? i have a lot of respect for mr bickle and was impressed to hear is the safety guy for soar. but he can only work with what he has.

what would it cost for airfence? mucho dollars probally. rental maybe?

i'm thinking starting a fund for an air fence would be a constructive goal. will it work there? i don't have the expertise to say. but that wall struck me (pun intended).

i'd like to get feedback on this idea of an airfence. any experienced fund raisers with time on their hands? just an idea....
    The main part of the wall thats the biggest problem is when you are at the apex of the second corner (yes I know its one at speed). If you tuck the front there you will go in at approx 45 degree angle. That part was actually covered by bales. Not nearly adaquate but covered. It will be much better protected in the season to come.
    As for airfence Bic and Alpina (the manufacturer) both say its not the right application alone. It needs a (semi)permanant soft barrier tight against the wall with possibly airfence in front. Next problem here is we have to be very careful how much you come out from the wall as it effects the available drive. You dont want to come out to impede to the point of possibly having a rider hook a peg,bar,leg on the bales,fence and have that draw you in.
    If you watch the video below your post you can see the ending position of the corner. This is an almost carbon copy of Shannonville's final corner. They used to protect the wall much further down the straight until it was realized by quite a few crashes caused by riders clipping a bale and having it pull you into the wall.
    As for the cost of the airfence thats not really the issue. There was already a fund set up that bought multiple lenths of fence years ago. Its the same fence thats already being used by all the tracks. The fund turned into a mess and there was much finger pointing. Bottom line is Colin stepped in and made it right and in the process took control of the fence. Soooooooo long story short the fence may be available for a fee if needed. But again its not the best scenario. Trust me when I tell you we are taking this seriously and will do whatever we need to do.
    Ironically if we were to slap a couple lengths there everyone would have a false sense of security and be happy.