16 year old 600cc - bike insc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 year old 600cc - bike insc?

16 year old 600cc - bike insc?

My son turns 16 in March and of course he wants to get his bike license and use my cbr600. Any idea what kind of price we're looking at for insurance? (liability only) my company wont insure anyone under 25.

Mark
    06VFR800
    06KTM950A
    07KTM525EXC
    03CR250
    77RD400

Re: 16 year old 600cc - bike insc?

Probably around $4000-4500

Call Ben Dover for a rate.

JK.. 16+600cc will prob be one expensive insurance rate.

I realize my post doens't help...But I thought the Ben Dover part was funny

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

check the insurance forum
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

its going to be worth more than the bike..
    make him pay

expect over $4000 though

Try calling around. In your case it may not be so horrible considering he wouldn't be the primary on the bike. The only problem is you may have to switch companies too.

Apart from the cost for a moment don't you think its a little dangerous to let a 16 year old new rider loose on a CBR? I don't think you would be doing your son any favours as its too much bike too soon. I can say this from knowledge as this is exactly the same scenario my best friend went through with his son. The kid had ridden dirt since 8 or 9. Turned 16 and he got him a Yammie 600 (brand new). He trashed it in the third week. Total write off and a broken arm to boot.

If it were my son, I'd be looking at nothing bigger than a 400cc or better yet 250cc or under.

There are lots of older (70s/80s) bikes that would fit the bill for $1k or even less. The benefits apart from cheaper insurance would be:
    a) with his own bike you can ride with him and be able to monitor his progress and guide where necessary.
    b) he can learn to look after his own machine and learn about keeping himself safe through regular maintenance.It will instill some responsibility.
    c) if he drops it (which he will) it won't hurt as much especially if it were your CBR.
    d)he can ride whenever he wants without having to bug you and you won't need to give up your ride time. When you want to you can ride together and get in some father son bonding....always a bonus.

Whatever you choose to do make sure you get him into a riders course (M2 at least) and get him geared up. The course will help a bit with the insurance situation.

My 2 cents.

Hope you can get him riding.

Cheers,
    Spyug.
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Spyug View Post
    Apart from the cost for a moment don't you think its a little dangerous to let a 16 year old new rider loose on a CBR? I don't think you would be doing your son any favours as its too much bike too soon. I can say this from knowledge as this is exactly the same scenario my best friend went through with his son. The kid had ridden dirt since 8 or 9. Turned 16 and he got him a Yammie 600 (brand new). He trashed it in the third week. Total write off and a broken arm to boot.

If it were my son, I'd be looking at nothing bigger than a 400cc or better yet 250cc or under.

There are lots of older (70s/80s) bikes that would fit the bill for $1k or even less. The benefits apart from cheaper insurance would be:
    a) with his own bike you can ride with him and be able to monitor his progress and guide where necessary.
    b) he can learn to look after his own machine and learn about keeping himself safe through regular maintenance.It will instill some responsibility.
    c) if he drops it (which he will) it won't hurt as much especially if it were your CBR.
    d)he can ride whenever he wants without having to bug you and you won't need to give up your ride time. When you want to you can ride together and get in some father son bonding....always a bonus.

Whatever you choose to do make sure you get him into a riders course (M2 at least) and get him geared up. The course will help a bit with the insurance situation.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Spyug.
    Spyug:
    He's been riding and racing motocross since he was 4, working on and maintaining his and my bikes too. He's a very well versed motorcycle rider for his age. I do understand the dangers of street riding over dirt riding/racing, and that's why the deal is, he only gets to ride "with me". (the 600 is the smallest bike in the garage). Hopefully he can pick up some defensive riding habits that way.
    I do appreciate your comments regarding safety as that is my primary concern.
    cheers!
    Mark
    Last edited by 4badboyz; 02-04-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    06VFR800
    06KTM950A
    07KTM525EXC
    03CR250
    77RD400

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy22 View Post
    Call Ben Dover for a rate.

JK.. 16+600cc will prob be one expensive insurance rate.

I realize my post doens't help...But I thought the Ben Dover part was funny

Ben Dover and Phil McCracken
    06VFR800
    06KTM950A
    07KTM525EXC
    03CR250
    77RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Spyug View Post

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Spyug.
    I started on a ZX6R when I was 16 it depends on the rider not the bike really, I've learned that from experience.

call Steve at State Farm 905-286-9145. His office is in mississauga. He's helped out a few of my friends and some co-workers... hope this helps. Good Luck
    1st gen ZX10R
    "It's not a race!"

Quote Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
    Spyug:
    He's been riding and racing motocross since he was 4, working on and maintaining his and my bikes too. He's a very well versed motorcycle rider for his age. I do understand the dangers of street riding over dirt riding/racing, and that's why the deal is, he only gets to ride "with me". (the 600 is the smallest bike in the garage). Hopefully he can pick up some defensive riding habits that way.
    cheers!
    Mark
    Glad to hear that you have some rules, your son will be fine riding any sized bike as long as he understands the dangers that come with street riding.

Word of advice though, make sure you hide the keys when you are not around

Wow! That's a lucky kid. My parents (I'm 37) are STILL trying to do their damnedest to get me to sell my baby and become "responsible"

Quote Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
    Spyug:
    cheers!
    Mark
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Banned

unfortunately, he could be champion rider of the workd, and he would still get raped insurance wise. a 600cc ss will run at least 3k insurance for the two of you. there is no way to just have him as secondary rider. most places insure by the highest risk.

My first road bike was a 74 Yamaha RD350, ( which in its day was the same as your bike ) and although I had ridden since I was 10 in the dirt, the big transition for me was getting use to four wheels never paying attention and watching out for them. By the way, my first insurance bill was $230.00 for a full year, those were the daze!( I still have the bill )

Make sure he signs up for the Motorcycle driver training course and that while in the course he remembers that the course is taught with the assumption everyone in the course has little or no motorcycle experience.
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

get him a track bike and let him loose there.
    where's the wind?!

Expect 4000$? Are you crazy?
    More like over 14,000$
    Probably 4k if you're over 25 with an M.
    HONDA SHADOW AERO BAGGER
    Look for a glowing white bike

Quote Originally Posted by LannyNguyen View Post
    Expect 4000$? Are you crazy?
    More like over 14,000$
    Probably 4k if you're over 25 with an M.
    ............what are you smoking? 25yrs with an M, you think insurance would be $4k!?!?!?!?

Someone uses Ben Dover insurance boker
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

When I was 16 I paid $855 a month (7 payments during the summer) for a cbr 600 f4i through primum insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by rukus View Post
    unfortunately, he could be champion rider of the workd, and he would still get raped insurance wise. a 600cc ss will run at least 3k insurance for the two of you. there is no way to just have him as secondary rider. most places insure by the highest risk.
    which brings up another interesting point, wouldn't they insure him on the most expensive bike?

you said the 600 was the smallest bike in your garage?