why do they need my bike to change chain? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why do they need my bike to change chain?

Re: why do they need my bike to change chain?

Quote Originally Posted by mike.from.canmore View Post
    You have the motovation/drive/desire/time/aptitude to remove your swingarm to check wheel bearing/swingarm bearing/clean gunk etc....

But you don't poses the skills/tools/know how to rivet your own chain on the bike?

For most people, removing the swingarm is difficult cause they can't hold the bike in the air properly(bike dependant) - why not just do it the simple way?
    Not to mention the big sockets/hex keys, stand, and other tools required to remove most swingarms...Cost more then chain rivit tools....

I guess I should not mention that on the CB350 beater that I studded up to play on the ice, I actually used two master links in order to add a bit of length to a used chain.

FWIW their both safety wired and have the requisite blob of sillycone.
    ride - if you want to

Anyone mention the newish bolt/screw master links from EK?

Last edited by Riceburner; 02-04-2009 at 02:55 PM.

That's ingenious! That makes chain installation so much easier! Now I can't wait till my bike needs another chain. . . .
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

For those interested in the screw type master link...

Found a decent write up here - http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...showarticle=31

And a decent picture

Quote Originally Posted by mike.from.canmore View Post
    You have the motovation/drive/desire/time/aptitude to remove your swingarm to check wheel bearing/swingarm bearing/clean gunk etc....

But you don't poses the skills/tools/know how to rivet your own chain on the bike?

For most people, removing the swingarm is difficult cause they can't hold the bike in the air properly(bike dependant) - why not just do it the simple way?
    Simple way? Simple is a subjective term.

Setting a torque wrench and "clicking a bolt" requires different skills than properly securing chain links. In the first instance, with my CBR, I was not in a position to take the time to learn this. Later on, with the VTR, it was more convenient for me to have the shop I purchased the chain from to do it for me as opposed to doing it myself. (the simple way )

Perhaps the third time's a charm?
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    Anyone mention the newish bolt/screw master links from EK?

Posted that new system a while ago in a thread I started about warning people to check their clips, after a memeber from here came to my shop for a tire change unknowingly missing his clip...

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...9&postcount=10
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ght=check+clip
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-05-2009 at 12:45 AM.

yep it's been mentioned lots of times on this forum, some even by me ...I meant was it mentioned in this thread.

That write up is great...good idea on adding the nuts....was wondering if any would fit.
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...showarticle=31
    Last edited by Riceburner; 02-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    what's wrong with a clip style master link?

30+ years of riding and never had a problem with them.
    Add another 30 here and no failures.

Quote Originally Posted by nornet View Post
    Add another 30 here and no failures.
    Nothing wrong with it if you are riding the same bike you started with 30 years ago. I've been riding,wrenching and racing (in the past, not very successfully but you need someone to overtake,right) for 45 years and never had a problem either until bikes started to make close to 100 HP. One day during a routine check I discovered the clip missing. That's when I went to riveted links. Why mess with safety wire and silicone when there is a better way?

may not have enough mana points to cast the spell. need a level up. start a quest to gain experience points to do so..

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    Nothing wrong with it if you are riding the same bike you started with 30 years ago. I've been riding,wrenching and racing (in the past, not very successfully but you need someone to overtake,right) for 45 years and never had a problem either until bikes started to make close to 100 HP. One day during a routine check I discovered the clip missing. That's when I went to riveted links. Why mess with safety wire and silicone when there is a better way?

It really comes down to personal prefrance, my 86 FJ1200 put out over 100 hp, I clocked 260,000 kms in 8 years and always had a masterlink and never had a problem. Never had a clip or chain failure. Maybe on the track and then you do not have worry about wire and silcone, but then again what ever floats your boat.
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

I've only been riding for about 12 years and have seen a chain with a master link fail once. Luckily nobody got hurt. But seeing it even just once in 12 years is enough to keep me away from them for my street bikes.

At least the shop didn't sell him a chain that was already rivieted together.
    Len - Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    Point taken. Clips are a non starter over 80hp. I assume the Honda in question is well under that.