BE WARNED!! www.ridersdiscount.com BE WARNED!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BE WARNED!! www.ridersdiscount.com BE WARNED!!

Thumbs down BE WARNED!! www.ridersdiscount.com BE WARNED!!

I have never had such a hard time dealing with an online order as i have with ridersdiscount. My girlfriend places an order on Nov. 5th for a new full face helmet for me for christmas. This helmet to be exact:

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...face/63784.php

Then she waits a couple weeks and realizes ok, there has been no charge to my credit card. So she looks into it, when she finally gets a hold of someone, they say it's on back order, but you'll get it before christmas. Anyways, long story short, they couldn't get it for christmas, so they gave her $50 off the helmet and said they would cover it 100% to the door. Oh, and no Customs fees, etc. "cause we ship USPS".

So here i am, January 27th, 2009 excited about my new helmet that's a month late for christmas. The mail man tells me i owe him $49.10 for customs. So at this point, i'm a little upset, so i pay it to get my helmet. I then open the box, and the grill on the front face is broken. I contact ridersdiscount today REALLY upset to tell them about my ******* service, and they tell me a few things.

A) and i quote "once the item hits Canada, we're no longer responsible for what they do with it, if you have to pay customs, that's not our fault"

B) they don't check things before they send them. There was no damage whatsoever on the shipping box, so obviously they didn't check the helmet. Took it out of their shipping box from Korea, threw it in another, and away it goes to Canada.

C) they refused to give me a refund and are only willing to replace the helmet.

D) the order was placed on Nov. 5th and it's now Jan. 27th and i still don't have a helmet

I'm sorry to all for this long rant about these clowns, but i hope my headaches will help others when deciding to order from the states with "free shipping". My local bike shop could have got me the same helmet for $35 more, but my girlfriend decided it was gonna be cheaper online (before the $50 customs fee).

www.ridersdiscount.com = -10/10

Re: BE WARNED!! www.ridersdiscount.com BE WARNED!!

My local bike shop could have got me the same helmet for $35 more, but my girlfriend decided it was gonna be cheaper online
    Whoa for a mere $35 savings, Lesson#1 sometimes it's not worth the savings when having to deal with the folks across the border.

Sorry about your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post
    I have never had such a hard time dealing with an online order as i have with ridersdiscount. My girlfriend places an order on Nov. 5th for a new full face helmet for me for christmas. This helmet to be exact:

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...face/63784.php

Then she waits a couple weeks and realizes ok, there has been no charge to my credit card. So she looks into it, when she finally gets a hold of someone, they say it's on back order, but you'll get it before christmas. Anyways, long story short, they couldn't get it for christmas, so they gave her $50 off the helmet and said they would cover it 100% to the door. Oh, and no Customs fees, etc. "cause we ship USPS".

So here i am, January 27th, 2009 excited about my new helmet that's a month late for christmas. The mail man tells me i owe him $49.10 for customs. So at this point, i'm a little upset, so i pay it to get my helmet. I then open the box, and the grill on the front face is broken. I contact ridersdiscount today REALLY upset to tell them about my ******* service, and they tell me a few things.

A) and i quote "once the item hits Canada, we're no longer responsible for what they do with it, if you have to pay customs, that's not our fault"

B) they don't check things before they send them. There was no damage whatsoever on the shipping box, so obviously they didn't check the helmet. Took it out of their shipping box from Korea, threw it in another, and away it goes to Canada.

C) they refused to give me a refund and are only willing to replace the helmet.

D) the order was placed on Nov. 5th and it's now Jan. 27th and i still don't have a helmet

I'm sorry to all for this long rant about these clowns, but i hope my headaches will help others when deciding to order from the states with "free shipping". My local bike shop could have got me the same helmet for $35 more, but my girlfriend decided it was gonna be cheaper online (before the $50 customs fee).

www.ridersdiscount.com = -10/10

Sucks to hear that bud, but about the customs/duty fees they are right. They have no control over what or if customs charges on duties. But the helmet being damaged isnt acceptable.
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by snocone View Post

Going riding tomorrow are you?

I have dealt with them on 3 different occasions and every single time I was more than satisfied with the service and price I recieved. I was dinged for customs on one of those occasions but I new that was the risk that I took ordering from the US.

For future reference, if the savings are less that $75 for an item, get it locally ... it simply isn't worth it to have something shipped and have to deal with possible customs/taxes.

They have no control over backorders, offered to cover the replacement and gave you a $50 discount ... I think they fulfilled their obligation ...

When you order online to save money, you know that you are sacrificing certain things to get a cheaper price ... you gambled and lost ... **** happens

I will continue to use this company in the future as they have always been great for me

I think this $50 are GST/PST + $5 Canada Post brokerage fee. Believe me, if they would've shipped it UPS, you'd pay ALOT more than that!

Becareful that when they send you the replacement .... that you don't get nailed for the duties/taxes again!!! Make sure you keep the previous receipt, so you can call the shipping company and tell them they changed you twice. Also, it would be good for the online company to put down that it is a warrenty replacement or something along those lines.

I understand everyone's feedback, but to the comment about "are we riding tomorrow?" i don't mean to be a ****** bag, but i'm pretty sure you would find it unacceptable if you ordered something 2 months ago, and you're just getting it this week, and it's broken. As for the customs bit, i know, it's my own fault, i've ordered from america before and dealt with the same stuff.

On the other hand, i've made sure about the customs issue when the next helmet comes, they've told me they're going to mark the package with "returned goods" and have a value of $0, so it won't get caught at customs.

This thread is not out there to bash ridersdiscount. They've somehow found a way to calm me down on the phone, so i give them that. This thread was intended to warn people who think everything will be smooth sailing, to make sure they read the fine print. hints me saying be sure to read all the fine print behind the "free shipping".

Thanks.

I'm sure you DO know that you MUST pay GST/PST on any goods you bring from or buy in US!? Unless it's less than $20 Canadain in value. So, if you're not hit with tax's (that happens from time to time) - consider yourself lucky.
    Last edited by EX500R2001; 01-27-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Nailzz20

Hey sorry to hear about your luck. I would put most blame with UPS. Any time you can avoid using UPS do so. I received a "FREE" T shirt from Bassani Exhaust that cost me 35 bucks in fees from UPS. I now avoid them like the plague. Try to get them to send it USPS...never a problem. As for the ride tomorrow comment don't sweat the small stuff.

I working on a 66 Honda so I've been getting lots of stuff shipped up, all USPS. Package contents labeled around $20, $50, $100 and one @ over $200.
    The only duty I've been dinged with is one of the packages around the $50 mark. All the others came to me clean and clear.
    I'm sure there is some reasoning to why some packages make it across free and others get dinged but seems like a total crap shoot to me with USPS.

If you do get something shipped by a shipping company - UPS, FED-EX etc. You do pay the shipping plus their ridiculous brokerage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    I working on a 66 Honda so I've been getting lots of stuff shipped up, all USPS. Package contents labeled around $20, $50, $100 and one @ over $200.
    The only duty I've been dinged with is one of the packages around the $50 mark. All the others came to me clean and clear.
    I'm sure there is some reasoning to why some packages make it across free and others get dinged but seems like a total crap shoot to me with USPS.

If you do get something shipped by a shipping company - UPS, FED-EX etc. You do pay the shipping plus their ridiculous brokerage fees.
    It is actually quite simple with Canada Post, if it appears to be from an individual, no taxes, if it appears to be commercial, you pay taxes. Some places will attach a commercial invoice to the package, sure give away at the border.

Re: BE WARNED!! www.ridersdiscount.com- great deal!!

smooth transaction, great price. i will deal with them again. i still saved $$ even with the shipping and tax

I buy on ebay nearly every week and have sold lots as well. I have bought everything from Model Trains,Motorcycle parts, XBOX360, games for 360, Toronto Maple leafs things and its is a complete crap shoot on GST/PST charges thru USPS.

I have bought mor ethen $1500 in the last month of things from $50us to $150us and have bought from both stores and everyday people and knock on wood have not had to pay a dime.

Last year i got charged on 1 in every 20 so they have no set pattern its just your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EX500R2001 View Post
    I think this $50 are GST/PST + $5 Canada Post brokerage fee. Believe me, if they would've shipped it UPS, you'd pay ALOT more than that!
    You are right on the money there. the odd time something gets shipped via USPS you get away without any charges but generally you pay the tax and the $5 customs fees. You would have to bend over for the delivery guy if it was shipped UPS!!!
    Ride Safe
    Hammersfan

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Becareful that when they send you the replacement .... that you don't get nailed for the duties/taxes again!!! Make sure you keep the previous receipt, so you can call the shipping company and tell them they changed you twice. Also, it would be good for the online company to put down that it is a warrenty replacement or something along those lines.
    It won't matter what the company puts down as customs won't believe them because I had this similar experience happen to me. I still had to pay for the duty "AGAIN" but the company I dealt with (Superbike Toy Store) reimbursed me for it. So if you are going to send it back then be prepared to pay for the duty a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by 08CBR1000 View Post
    It won't matter what the company puts down as customs won't believe them because I had this similar experience happen to me. I still had to pay for the duty "AGAIN" but the company I dealt with (Superbike Toy Store) reimbursed me for it. So if you are going to send it back then be prepared to pay for the duty a second time.
    Keep all receipts, invoices, etc. You can apply for a refund. I did it once and got money back. But it took several months .

Quote Originally Posted by 08CBR1000 View Post
    A few years back I baught a turbo kit for my car from the U.S. The kit cost me $2800 American. When they shipped it they just labled it as a warrenty/exchange...$0 value. I went to UPS to pick it up and all I had to pay was the UPS fee like 40 bucks or somethin. I was a huge box to and I know customs went through cause you could tell the box was opened then retaped. So IDK the OP shouldn't have any problems if Riders Discount lables it as an exchage. and if anything keep your original receipts for proof if the ask any questions.

lol especially with the pronoun use "can't wait to order more gear from YOU" when they aren't on this board/thread.

I have ordered from RD and saved over $100 on a helmet. Had no issues, though I was peeved that the helmet was actually grey and not black as the picture suggested. That's not really their problem though, its just the mfg picture. Oh well, I threw on a blacked out visor which almost made up for it. I think I paid minimal taxes on it, maybe $18 or something.

OP - Sorry to hear about your experience. I have purchased 3 or 4 items from them and they have always been very good.
    2000 Ninja 500R