The Unlikely Downtown Toronto

Thread: The Unlikely Downtown Toronto

Thumbs up The Unlikely Downtown Toronto

We all know downtown toronto as a boring grid of streets with gnarled surfaces, ignorant drivers, and vicious cabbies - riddled with streetcar tracks waiting to wipe you out - right?

Well, for the most part, yes. I suppose that is why the few good roads to ride on stand out as beauties in my mind. If you ever find yourself stuck in Toronto and want some nice roads to ride, you would be doing yourself a disservice in not checking out:

Rosedale Valley Road
    Runs between Yonge St. and Bayview Ave.
    The gentle slope of this road which runs along the bottom of the Rosedale Valley is perfect for a gentle ride on a summer afternoon. The valley's walls rise up to street level and are densely covered in deciduous trees which provied ample shade for riders and seem to provide a green tinge on everything. Down in the valley, the sounds of the noisy city above seem to fade away. The sparse traffic on the road makes it easy to enjoy the scenery around you. The nature is nice, but check out the stately overpasses of Bloor, Sherbourne, and Mt. Pleasant - which perfectly frame the valley.

Pottery Road

Runs between Broadview Ave. and Bayview Ave.
    Short and sweet is the name of the game with Pottery road. It has gentle curves and a sharp incline as it climbs out of the Don Valley. The historic Todmorden Mills is on the south side of the road, and makes a nice place to visit on a weekend afternoon. The road catches the late afternoon sun and provides a nice view of the skyline while descending westbound. Another added feature is that it connects with Bayview Road, which is next on the list.

Bayview Avenue

Runs from Davis Rd. in Newmarket to Gerrard St. in Toronto
    Bayview is a long, straight, boring road from Newmarket to Toronto. However, when it descends into the Don Valley, south of Eglington, it becomes a beautiful multi-lane road to ride on. It follows the valleys features, and sits below the parkway itself.

Guildwood Parkway

Runs from Kingston Road to Morningside Ave.
    A nice easy curve leads to a straight shot along the scarborough bluffs. The road is in good shape, and only sees local residental traffic - mixed with those going to guildwood park. If you're making the trip out here anyway it is definitely worth your time to visit the park. It's littered with arches and pillars, as well as other architectural features from buildings which have been demolished in Toronto.

...more to come as I find them.

Re: The Unlikely Downtown Toronto

Great research man, Ive been on all of them but not on 2 wheels. All great so far.

Banned

For the love of God. I know you wont go to the track but take it OUTSIDE of the city. Google Hockley Rd or the 507.

For some reason at least 1 person dies on Rosedale Valley Rd. I am not sure how and why because all these roads are boring and filled with serious potential hazards.

Most people WILL get carried away and travel those roads well ABOVE the limits and whamo...big trouble. You will end up in a tree or another car.

Please ride the roads outside the city or go along the 427/409.

When on city roads I tend to stay at the posted limit for max 10 km over if that. Reason is simple. YOU NEED TO be able to STOP on a dime because YOU WILL BE CUT off etc...

Banned

oh-btw
    The Cops like to hang out at one the ends of those roads. Easy pickings, 1 way in and 1 way out.

My GF quite likes the Bayview Extension as well.

Where did the OP say he rides these aggressively? I ride most of them all the time, at 10 over, and my GF and I quite enjoy it, thanks very much.

Another nice ride from Pickering to the intersection of Scarborough Golf club road and Kingston road. From here to the Beach or Downtown.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=2

Twyn Rivers has been mentioned on this forum before. It would be wise to drive it first and check for police. There are parking lots in the middle and the west end of Twyn rivers police park here sometimes. As well cars, sometimes drift to the wrong side of the road in the corners.
    Last edited by Icbones; 01-26-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Bad link
    Bad Example

nice list.
    they are good roads and I regularly take some of them as detours from the traffic lights...

another decent but short jaunt is Edenbridge (think that's what it's called) up off Scarlett and by James Gardens area...

Mount Pleasant is like a slower Bayview, and at least it's not totally straight like Yonge south of St.Clair...
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

If you can get out of the city to hit up some nicer roads north of the city with increased speed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    For the love of God. I know you wont go to the track but take it OUTSIDE of the city. Google Hockley Rd or the 507.
    I'm sorry, perhaps you misunderstand the intention of my post. I'm just highlight some roads in Toronto that I like riding on. As I say, most riders just think of the nasty drivers and streetcar tracks in downtown Toronto. I wanted to highlight some roads that are worth attention in the city.

I grew up in Orangeville, so I know all about Hockley Road. So does probably everyone in southern Ontario. There's a plethora of resources on good riding roads in the country - so why should I beat a dead horse?

This is a thread about good roads within the city of Toronto. Why should I go to a track again? What am I going to do there on my cruiser-style bike?

When on city roads I tend to stay at the posted limit for max 10 km over if that. Reason is simple. YOU NEED TO be able to STOP on a dime because YOU WILL BE CUT off etc...
    Yep. Now, I'm not sure how this became a thread about safe riding. I don't recall naming my thread "sweet roads to do speed recklessly on". But thanks for your $.02 - they are appreciated.

^^well said. Just like any other forum, the trolls abound on this site......

But back to the topic: I also really like the DVP when it's not a parking lot and it has a decent display of fall colours at that time of year.

It's a shame that so many otherwise relaxin roads in the city have lots of stop signs on them, like through The Beaches, and Rosedale.
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

I love Mt. Pleasant road.

Oh, I love it so much.
    Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do. - David Brent

Quote Originally Posted by shanekingsley View Post
    another decent but short jaunt is Edenbridge (think that's what it's called) up off Scarlett and by James Gardens area......

When I lived in Weston in a former life I used to like a little ride when I wanted to get out of home for a few minutes:

Scarlett down to Edenbridge. Turn onto Edgehill before the end and then south on Royal York. Dundas West ->old Dundas ->Humber Blvd. I don't know if Humber Blvd is permanently closed but it used to be open in Late spring to early fall. It was one way heading south. When closed I would go Kinsway Cresent and Kingsway Rd. Then Old Mill Rd and old Mill Drive and then across Bloor and onto Riverside. Then down to the Lakeshore Blvd. It was a scenic ride with rodes that actually turned a bit.

Edenbridge and Old Mill were usually too busy on weekends but were a nice evening ride.

That's all about 30 years ago and I haven't been there since but I recall it made for a nice relaxing little ride when getting out of the city wasn't practical.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    ....on Royal York. Dundas West ->old Dundas ->Humber Blvd. I don't know .........would go Kingsway Cresent and Kingsway Rd. Then Old Mill Rd and old Mill Drive and then across Bloor and onto Riverside.

That's all about 30 years ago and I haven't been there since but I recall it made for a nice relaxing little ride.....

..Tom
    Ya know the areas you speak about and the last time I was there was maybe 5 years ago. I grew up in that part of Etobicoke and can tell you there are all kinds of unnecessary 3-way and 4-way stop signs littering the landscape.

While Europe finds traffic smoothing methods like round-abouts and photoradar, we Canadian idiots put up stop signs and speed bumps. A real shame since one could cruise at a nice pace with no unnecessary stops many many years ago. Too bad the few spoil it for everyone else.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.

For some reason at least 1 person dies on Rosedale Valley Rd. I am not sure how and why because all these roads are boring and filled with serious potential hazards.

Most people WILL get carried away and travel those roads well ABOVE the limits and whamo...big trouble. You will end up in a tree or another car.

Please ride the roads outside the city or go along the 427/409.

Chill out buddy, besides I've seen more cops on Hockley than Rosedale Valley Rd. No where did the OP recommend doing 200km/h. They just recommended some nice scenic roads within Toronto. Plus, not everybody wants or has a desire to ride track and go round in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Chill out buddy, besides I've seen more cops on Hockley than Rosedale Valley Rd. No where did the OP recommend doing 200km/h. They just recommended some nice scenic roads within Toronto. Plus, not everybody wants or has a desire to ride track and go round in circles.
    unless that circle is to the Gap and back along the BRP

Here are a few other runs in Toronto I like to do once in awhile when I don't want to go far:
    St Dennis Drive

Valley Woods - Underhill

Fairview - York Mills
    Last edited by BusaBob; 08-11-2009 at 01:17 AM.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    unless that circle is to the Gap and back along the BRP

Here are a few other runs in Toronto I like to do once in awhile when I don't want to go far:
    St Dennis Drive

Valley Woods - Underhill

Fairview - York Mills

Hey my place is in Valleywoods, I moved there because of that little nice road. be careful with the first turn left after the straight, there is always some gravel on the ground as you lean left.