going to cuba soon!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: going to cuba soon!

going to cuba soon!

Hey guys I'm on my way to Varadero in a few weeks, I've never been to Cuba before. Anything to expect? Any tips/places to go

and to anyone who's been to Varadero before, any good places to eat outside the resort?
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Re: going to cuba soon!

hmm the peso will be almost the equivilent of a us dollar, $100 canadian = $70 - $75 pesos

well if your in varadero, ur probably gonna be on the strip and unless you are of cuban disent or speak fluent spanish, i would stay their, if and when you leave the resort, for let's say lunch or dinner, you will be hounded by local's for $. Also don't be surprised, when leaving Cuba, if you notice the Air force following you out of Cuban Airspace.

bring bug spray and itch cream

those sand mites(fleas) are nuts, just got back from Cao Largo and my sister in-laws got eaten alive

gsxr7/11 montesa cota123'76cb400f'75mr50'93fxrs-sp'82rd350lc'96fantic section250'68bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by turboluvr View Post
    bring bug spray and itch cream

those sand mites(fleas) are nuts, just got back from Cao Largo and my sister in-laws got eaten alive

+1 on that one!

there are lots of places on the stip in Varadaro, but i was to impaired to remember..I was never hassled at all by the locals.

also when i went in Oct i took supplies to give as tips for the maids (pens, paper. toiletries,kids toys etc from the dollar store) they really seemed to appreciate it.
    also a big travel mug for the beach/pool bar, as they serve drinks in small cups.
    and take your normal happy canadian smile for the employees, something the Brits seem to leave at home!
    have fun
    Gerry
    Last edited by gerry; 01-25-2009 at 10:22 PM.

bring some old blue jays hats if you have them, big baseball fans down there

I bought a brand new one last time I went down there and everyone wanted it!

I was planning on giving it away before we left but our flight left early in the morning so I didn't get a chance

LMFAO big travel mug, i gotta thank my brother for bringing 5 of them when we went less then a month ago!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    +1 on that one!

there are lots of places on the stip in Varadaro, but i was to impaired to remember..I was never hassled at all by the locals.

also when i went in Oct i took supplies to give as tips for the maids (pens, paper. toiletries,kids toys etc from the dollar store) they really seemed to appreciate it.
    also a big travel mug for the beach/pool bar, as they serve drinks in small cups.
    and take your normal happy canadian smile for the employees, something the Brits seem to leave at home!
    have fun
    Gerry

Not a lot of resteraunts off the resort, there is a steak house half way down the varadero strip near the golf course by the Dupont estate. There is only one golf course out there so you cant get lost LOL.
    There are a few food vendors in the small coastal villages if you get off resort scootering or just walking, its not great.
    Most resorts have an ala Carte dining option as well as the everyday buffet thing, book as SOON as you check in. They fill up really quick.
    If you get a chance to side trip to Havana there are a lot of dining options but be warned, its not called handout Havana by coincidence. The panhandlers are rampant. This is not my experience elsewhere in Cuba and we have been all over the island.
    Real Cuban food has a very Spanish feel and there is an African influence, not spicy hot like other island foods.
    Just remember your in a third world country essentially, they are very poor people for the most part. Dont act like an entitled tourist and you'll have a great time. Cubans are nice people.
    Ps. was mentioned above, bring a large thermo mug for taking drinks to the beach, they have small cups that just dont hold enough.

Somewhere on the strip near all the hotels in Varadero is a restaurant that used to be Al Capones house... I heard it's pretty sweet. My friends went while we were there this past summer.
    It should be good for a few pics at least.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/...9703431433.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    Not a lot of resteraunts off the resort, there is a steak house half way down the varadero strip near the golf course by the Dupont estate. There is only one golf course out there so you cant get lost LOL.
    There are a few food vendors in the small coastal villages if you get off resort scootering or just walking, its not great.
    Most resorts have an ala Carte dining option as well as the everyday buffet thing, book as SOON as you check in. They fill up really quick.
    If you get a chance to side trip to Havana there are a lot of dining options but be warned, its not called handout Havana by coincidence. The panhandlers are rampant. This is not my experience elsewhere in Cuba and we have been all over the island.
    Real Cuban food has a very Spanish feel and there is an African influence, not spicy hot like other island foods.
    Just remember your in a third world country essentially, they are very poor people for the most part. Dont act like an entitled tourist and you'll have a great time. Cubans are nice people.
    Ps. was mentioned above, bring a large thermo mug for taking drinks to the beach, they have small cups that just dont hold enough.
    Big +1 on that!

Exclamation Re: going to cuba soon!

Take pens paper toiletries as Cubans make about $10 max a week if they work at hotels and they pay $5 for propane for a month so do the math. They sell toothpaste in cuban stores for cubnas only (My Ex is cuban) it cost $2 for toothpaste and they can't buy it with needing propane to cook with and food to buy as well.

I always raided a $1 store for paper,pens, pencils and watched for toothpaste,shampoo and soap on sale and took the maxium weight i could as i gave all of it away and also loads of clothes and shoes. Came back with 1 pair of shorts i was wearing and a shirt and flipflops in the middle of January when i got back here it was minus 10 and snowing.
    Any clothes they will take so i took loads of stuff i never wore much even sweaters as if its 70 degree's they think its cold while i was out in shorts with no shirt.

Help the real Cubans effected buy the US, the government employee's make loads of money while the true people make very little.

Help the kids to learn buy giving them something to write on and with and things they need to clean their teeth and hair.

shoes and baseball gloves are very welcome
    Lanyards are a nice gift as well
    Tampons are expensive and are appreciated