Anodized or Powder Coat - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anodized or Powder Coat

Re: Anodized or Powder Coat

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Hope no one interprets this as hijacking:
    Out of curiosity, how much would a powder coat job like that go for?
    My cost for coating only is $60 a set per coat, so if you can strip the paint yourself or have it done for cheap...It only costs me $60 to coat a set of wheels in a basic color, gloss or flat white, black, green, red, yellow, etc etc...And you have about 100 different colors and shades to choose from...

However fancy colors that look like anodize or a candy finish is a 2 coat process, and therefore you have to pay to coat twice which would be $120 per set of motorcycle wheels...

Id think a custom powder coat shop would charge around $200-250 for a complete job like this. Meaning you drop off bare wheels, they strip the old paint, prep, tape, and plug the rims, and do a dual stage coating on them....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    My cost for coating only is $60 a set per coat, so if you can strip the paint yourself or have it done for cheap...It only costs me $60 to coat a set of wheels in a basic color, gloss or flat white, black, green, red, yellow, etc etc...And you have about 100 different colors and shades to choose from...

However fancy colors that look like anodize or a candy finish is a 2 coat process, and therefore you have to pay to coat twice which would be $120 per set of motorcycle wheels...

Id think a custom powder coat shop would charge around $200-250 for a complete job like this. Meaning you drop off bare wheels, they strip the old paint, prep, tape, and plug the rims, and do a dual stage coating on them....

What would you need to strip the wheels? Is it possible/advisable to do it yourself? Also do you know of any custom powder coaters in the GTA preferably mississauga area?? Props in advance
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by HyoSilver View Post
    What would you need to strip the wheels? Is it possible/advisable to do it yourself? Also do you know of any custom powder coaters in the GTA preferably mississauga area?? Props in advance
    There is more then one way, you can strip them with paint stripper in your garage from Canadian tire if you want to go the cheapest route and save money....Or you can have them chemically stripped or media blasted.....

I used to do all my stripping at Techno strip in Brampton, but in the last 2 years their prices have gone up like %60 and their min charge now is $200!

So I just found a place (thanks to djbordie) called Mayfair plating in TO, they can strip parts for pretty cheap...Just to give you an idea I took my 09 ZX6R to Techno strip for a quote and the chick there told me $350 + tax just to strip my frame....Mayfair did all my parts for under $200, and it was done the next day after I dropped them off...Give him call and get a quote, Chuck is cool and works cheap....Going to be doing all my stripping there from now on, long drive for me but worth the saving and friendly service..

You can also call around to media blasting places, and get quotes for media blasting...Generally for MC rims Ive heard anywhere from $20-35 per rim....However I always prefer chemical stripping over abrasive media blasting....

As for coating I can hook you up with my coater in Mississauga.....They are industrial and dont really do stripping....Hes starting to, but prefers if you can bring in parts raw and ready to coat...Doing some of the work youself saves you money in the end...If you can strip your rims in your garage for $20 worth of paint stripper, and have them coated for $60...

Afterburnercoatings.com does it for $180 per set of rims for candy colors, they told me a 3 stage process? base , color and UV coat and that includes striping and prep of the rims

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    Afterburnercoatings.com does it for $180 per set of rims for candy colors, they told me a 3 stage process? base , color and UV coat and that includes striping and prep of the rims
    3 coats, why? If their translucent top coat doesnt have UV protection already I wouldnt want them to use it....When I do candy colors I have to lay a chrome or silver base coat, then a translucent in the color you want...The UV protection is already in the translucent and thats the top coat....

With each coat you add thickness, which isnt a good thing. It leads to easier scratching and chipping....Just like paint the thinner you can lay it with good coverage the better...Also each color is grabbing onto the first, so again there is alot more chance of having problems with durability...And around edges that are taped off or plugged you are going to have a very thick line... I would never want any more the 2 coats...

Thats a good price, but Id have to see the finish....And the tape,plugging job, as Ive seen some cheap powder coat jobs. Where they did not mask off the rotor mating surfaces, and Pro6 charged the guy an hour labour to scrape off the powder from those areas so they would mount properly....So in the end it wasnt so cheap...

Make sure you post pics!

yeah will post pics might pick up on tomorrow or monday as they should be done....from what I saw of their work they must know what they doing Thats the process they use though Chrome base-coat, Candy Red mid-coat and high gloss clear top-coat...anyway will keep my fingers crossed

**** Johnny you coat for so damn cheap. You are tempting me to strip my rims and take them to you. $120 for a nice candy gold. I would be all over that ****. Plus I would like to meet u cuz you seem like a cool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    **** Johnny you coat for so damn cheap. You are tempting me to strip my rims and take them to you. $120 for a nice candy gold. I would be all over that ****. Plus I would like to meet u cuz you seem like a cool guy.
    Its not me that actually does the coating, I have an industrial coater just down the road from my shop. Hes just starting to get into media blasting, but when I first started going to him he only did coating. And more industrial not too much bike or custom parts, so I would have to bring everything ready to coat but he gave good prices...

He loves doing custom work for cars and bikes on the side now, but I just dont like sending him headache jobs. Its kinda a pain in the *** for him when people just bring parts that are chromed or have like 10 layers of paint. Most of the time he will send you to another shop down the street, that does media blasting first if your parts are painted and not ready to coat..So if you dont mind driving to 2 places or doing some of the dirty work yourself you can get some good prices...

Its not me that actually does the coating, I have an industrial coater just down the road from my shop. Hes just starting to get into media blasting, but when I first started going to him he only did coating. And more industrial not too much bike or custom parts, so I would have to bring everything ready to coat but he gave good prices...

He loves doing custom work for cars and bikes on the side now, but I just dont like sending him headache jobs. Its kinda a pain in the *** for him when people just bring parts that are chromed or have like 10 layers of paint. Most of the time he will send you to another shop down the street, that does media blasting first if your parts are painted and not ready to coat..So if you dont mind driving to 2 places or doing some of the dirty work yourself you can get some good prices...
    Bumping this up again, just wondering if you know what your coater would charge to do my frame (and subframe since its welded on there) plus swing arm in flat black. My bike is in pieces right now and I am thinking of doing this while I am at it.

just a heads up to use caution if dealing with Afterburner coatings in Bradford....the really messed up my rims........not just the bad powdercoat job....they sand blasted them and pitted them to hell....should have bead blasted them....now I am not sure if I wana do the work or stripping them and filling allt the pit marks with aluminum and get the re coated.....just use as spares....so going to look for a decent set of 929 rims and will file in small claims court! My rims were stock paint and had the usual chipping around the rim from tire changes but in no way was it pitted like it is now on the inner rim....that from them sand blasting. and if you can tell the front rim is lighter then the rear and they also missed alot of coverage on the front as well. this is 3 weeks worth of work, I went in a weekago and they were don but in the process of stripping them again as he put down a red base and I wanted metalic under the candy...I was patient and thought I would give them a chance to rectify it...and this was round 2 of powder coating on the rims! I felt like yelling my head off but was calm and even paid them for their time and material wich I hope to reclaim via small claims court!

Last edited by GP_RZ; 02-13-2009 at 08:04 PM.

you have pics?

yup posted some........now I have to find rims! lol

ew yeah that looks like sheit

Hate to say it but I knew there was a reason for such a cheap price....I see so many problems just from your pics, and they probably even worse in person...

They blasted all your rotor mating surfaces and likely the threads too, and the bearing bores! Youll be lucky if the bearings dont spin inside the bores because of that! And the powder looks like it was contaminated with dirt, and possibly water in their air lines...Why did they not coat the cush drive area????? Bad coverage with the base, and too much clear in other areas...

This is exactly why I do my own stripping and prep work, way too many butchers out there!

bearings are ok as I fitted them....they still tight like I like em....the problem with these guys are they dont have much experience with candy powders........I could have sprayed them much better then this (paint)....

Hate to say it but I knew there was a reason for such a cheap price....I see so many problems just from your pics, and they probably even worse in person...

They blasted all your rotor mating surfaces and likely the threads too, and the bearing bores! Youll be lucky if the bearings dont spin inside the bores because of that! And the powder looks like it was contaminated with dirt, and possibly water in their air lines...Why did they not coat the cush drive area????? Bad coverage with the base, and too much clear in other areas...

This is exactly why I do my own stripping and prep work, way too many butchers out there!
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 02-14-2009 at 08:51 AM.

What's the deal? What did they say when they gave them to you? I can't believe they even charged you for that BS work

it looks all blotchy, like bob barker's ballbag

Looks ok from far away, but honestly as a shop owner I would be downright embarrased to give that back to a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    it looks all blotchy, like bob barker's ballbag
    Damn it man, I'm trying to have breakfast

i think you are leaving a part of this story out, i have delt with them alot of times, NEVER have i had this happen before, i think you forget the parts of the story here about your time restrictions you put on them, not to mention u got them at 50% off the reg price, and as well i believe you changed your mind on the colour 2 times?

as with everything guys there is always 2 sides of the story, when someone decides to post the full story, then judge the ppl, but as i said, i have NEVER had any problems with the shop before