What to do: 5 tickets + no insurance - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do: 5 tickets + no insurance

Re: What to do: 5 tickets + no insurance

When is your court date? If it is over a year, you could try to fight it under section 13B (i'm pretty sure that is the section) of the Charter. You have to be tried in a reasonable time. Usually over a year is not considered reasonable; I mean you have a chance. It requires a lot of paperwork, but that is one way you could potentially get the tickets dropped against you.

Pay attention to the first reply!

pay attention to post #24!

thread backfire

Speak to the crown yourself to see what deal you can both agree upon. Personally i would be happy to plead guilty to all charges if they drop the insurance one.
    If bike riding is a drug go get hammered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaoler View Post
    I can read fine... You're writing is poor. Really, I know. I have university students assigned to me all the time in a job where it's all about report writing... Generally they do not impress, but I digress....
    I am what, a writing poor? You're grammar is poor, you have university students assigned to you for what? To tell you what to do? Start with some English lessons.

Why is this turning about a university thing? Who gives a ****, I am faced with ****ed up tickets and I don't think that the consequences I am going to face are fair based on the circumstances of my offences...hence the post here.

To the other person who was asking about the safety...I apologize as I made my post confusing (was writing it at work as fast as I could). I wanted to take the bike in for safety on the weekend, however before towing it I took it out for a spin to make sure everything is good so that there are no surprises during the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXR_Mike View Post
    I
    Why is this turning about a university thing? Who gives a ****, I am faced with ****ed up tickets and I don't think that the consequences I am going to face are fair based on the circumstances of my offences...hence the post here.
    You brought it up! OH man...do I need to quote that as well

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
    Speak to the crown yourself to see what deal you can both agree upon. Personally i would be happy to plead guilty to all charges if they drop the insurance one.
    That's what I am thinking, if they drop it, I am more than willing to make a hefty donation to Sick Kids or Cancer Research.

If i get bit with this, the car is going under my mother's name and I will be an occasional driver...just don't want to deal with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    You brought it up! OH man...do I need to quote that as well
    Apparently you can't read either.

Please keep it civil people. I've got my finger on the red card and I'd rather not have to use it but if I do, I'll do it all the way back to the beginning of the thread.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It's not my place to judge but IMO even a traffic lawyer won't be able to help you. You're gonna need a priest to get out of all those tickets. Kneel, start with "bless me father for I have sinned" and hope for the best

No worries on my end, please keep this open. I am sure there are tons of us out here who have been bitten with no insurance, especially since this is a huge problem on bikes.

This could be very informative for everyone.

Thanks Rob.

would have been cheaper to pay for the safety and any issues that showed up during it.
    I don't think it's unfair, they did nail you for the things you did.
    Whats more unfair is getting almost the same things on a pocket bike. I wasn't riding like an idiot, but the cops kept loosing sight of me so it took them 2 blocks to catch me, they thought I was running but I had no idea they were following. I got a few tickets that went on my drivers abstract... That was a bit unfair but I was doing something illegal and I just sucked it up and paid out... You KNEW you were doing something illegal and got busted, so you don't have a huge argument. Suck it up take the punishment and learn, some of us have to do it the hardway.
    And trust me, I've been there and done that, I've spent a few years repairing my life after one little screw up one night.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GT-101 View Post
    When is your court date? If it is over a year, you could try to fight it under section 13B (i'm pretty sure that is the section) of the Charter. You have to be tried in a reasonable time. Usually over a year is not considered reasonable; I mean you have a chance. It requires a lot of paperwork, but that is one way you could potentially get the tickets dropped against you.
    its 11b. there is reference to it in the fighting a ticket sticky.

In my opinion, it's worth it to get a lawyer involved - like mentioned before, they know the legal loopholes and you might be lucky enough to catch one.

I was busted for speeding on bloor street, and decided to fight it simply for the experience of court - worst that could happen would be a loss. I hoped the cop wouldn't show up, but since it was 35 km/h over the speed limit he showed up nice and early. He even pulled me aside before the proceedings and tried to convince me to agree to a lesser charge. I didn't go for it and we went before the judge.

I thought i had no hope after hearing the officer testify. He talked about how he calibrated his speed gun before and after catching me. He went on for over 10 minutes reading his notes talking about how sure he was it was me he radar'd and how sure he was that his radar gun was accurate.

I testified simply saying I didn't think i was speeding - my testimony lasted only 2 or 3 mins, i didn't have anything to say other than "not guilty".

The gods must have been feeling revengeful on the officer that day, because after I testified the judge asked the court reporter to read back the officers testimony. To this day I still can't remember exactly what happened, because i was so happy immediately afterwards, but due to some loophole (something about the officer not mentioning in his testimony about the posted speed limit - he didn't even talk about a sign stating the speed limit was 50) the judge dismissed the case. The officer started to argue with the judge, but the judge simply retorted "maybe this will teach you a lesson to be more careful in your testimony" and cut him off completely. I'll remember the look on the officer's face till the day I die - complete disbelief and it looked like he was gonna have a coronary. I high-tailed it outta there so fast and never looked back.

Moral of this long winded story - you never know what weird legal loop holes the arresting officer may have overlooked at either the scene or during his testimony. I was very lucky to have a judge that practically defended me himself (again, i went without a lawyer, but will never do so ever again). You probably won't be so lucky, so it's worth it to hire someone who knows the law.

-Xhum

You don't need a license plate to pass safety, i put it on for the "ride" that i got screwed on over. I really F)**ed up.

I already got disclosure, I've read through it a few times and the officer has described everything and mentions that I was cooperative through the whole ordeal.

I feel comfortable doing this on my own...

What I was trying to say by riding a bike with an obstructed plate you were drawing attention to yourself. The cops in cruisers have a laptop that can run a plate in seconds so once they see that the plate is not good then they know you do not have proper insurance and will get you on anything and everything.

Good to hear that he mentioned that you were cooperative. You stand a better chance if you go in without a lawyer then if you feel comfortable doing so. The problem you face if you go in with a lawyer the JP will be less likely to point out faults in the crowns case as a person who is representing himself gives the JP a bit more lea way to helping the defendant. If a lawyer is there defending you then the JP figures it is up to the lawyer to point that out especially if the JP does not like who you picked as a lawyer.

So I would save your money and not hire a lawyer, you will need your cash to pay for your new insurance date. But this is my opinion.

BTW- if your birthday is before you trial, get it on the road then your convictions do not show up on your abstract until your conviction date .
    " I don't want a pickle, I'd rather just ride on my motorcycle."

At the least I would speak with a traffic lawyer, generally they know all the crown attornys and judges and which county court sticks to the maximum fine.
    Lawyers spend all their time on crap like this, its how they make a living.

You mentioned your comfortable handling your own case, I'm really handy with small tool and build great models and quartered a moose onetime when hunting, but if I needed my appendix out, I may see a doctor.

You don't need a license plate to pass safety, i put it on for the "ride" that i got screwed on over. I really F)**ed up.

I already got disclosure, I've read through it a few times and the officer has described everything and mentions that I was cooperative through the whole ordeal.

I feel comfortable doing this on my own...
    Please man!! DO NOT REPRESENT YOURSELF!!! you will get pooched this case can be dealt with i"ve seen worse!! you could even win but you need the right representation pm me i know somebody .

Banned

just because you feel comfortable to represent yourself doesnt mean you should.

Get a Really good lawyer
    Its not what you ride, its how you ride it.