How does prototype racing work?

Thread: How does prototype racing work?

How does prototype racing work?

The motogp is a prototype class and I was wondering how are the different bikes regulated. It seems like the motogp class is almost a free for all in bike development so I was wondering is there some kind of regulatory body that actually makes sure that power to weight ratios are similar or that the bikes are relatively similar in order to keep competition fair?

I know that things such as engine size are regulated but what other factors come into play? Also since the motogp is the prototype class, is that where most of the ideas for the new features for new bikes come from? It sounds like motogp is the testing ground for bike manufacturers like yamaha etc for future stock bikes such as the r6 or the r1.

Lastly how much does the development on these prototype bikes actually relates to how next years r6 or r1 will be like for example?
    - I ride cuz i love it.

Infamous Boston Pizza Story
    "Gsxr 600 Boston pizza guy"
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=32439

Re: How does prototype racing work?

Re: How does prototype racing work?

A prime example is the 2009 R1.

It has a "flat Plane" crankshaft which changes the firing order from 1 cyl firing every 90 deg. to 2 cyls firing every 180 deg.

The advantage is that the greater spacing between firings gives the rear tire more time to regain traction, improving overall traction on acceleration.

With SBK rules requiring a stock or stock configuration crankshaft, the development of the application would have to happen on a dyno or in a prototype racing series. Hence MotoGP improved the new R1.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com