Recommended track suits on a budget

Thread: Recommended track suits on a budget

Recommended track suits on a budget

Hi all, i'm looking at hitting up the track abit this summer and I'm in need of a full piece suit. I'm looking for something that is safe (super important) and affordable (pretty important but i'm more flexible on this one because safety is more important to me than the price of the suit).

I would prefer something with an air hump at the back as well to help me keep cool. What suits would you recommend that would be safe for the track and decent for the street while at the same time being affordable. I know it's a tall order but I figure it's better to ask people who have done track riding and possibly crashed afew suits instead of just dumping alot of money on something really expensive.
    - I ride cuz i love it.

Infamous Boston Pizza Story
    "Gsxr 600 Boston pizza guy"
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=32439

Re: Recommended track suits on a budget

I am planning on purchasing Alpinestars RC1 one piece suit.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=14&zmap=11481

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Nwe Enough had AlpineStars SG-1 1pc and 2pc suits on clearance for $499

http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=11024166809...6DWtgBW59sxw==

Sportbike Track Gear usually has some good deals

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

And search the GTAM Classifieds, There's usually used suits for sale here

I think the aero hump is for aerodynamics, maybe the new ones have vents for cooling. Mine do not.

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I think the aero hump is for aerodynamics, maybe the new ones have vents for cooling. Mine do not.
    100% aerodynamics,, does nothing until about 160MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    100% aerodynamics,, does nothing until about 160MPH.
    hey John, can you comment on stitching? I have seen vendors promoting "kevlar stitching" as a superior stitch, while others I have seen use "reinforced nylon stitching". Is one better than the other?

you get what you pay for. I picked up a 2pc shift for around $500.

but can i recommend this? i'd get into that...

Quote Originally Posted by chintoe View Post
    hey John, can you comment on stitching? I have seen vendors promoting "kevlar stitching" as a superior stitch, while others I have seen use "reinforced nylon stitching". Is one better than the other?
    Thread is only as good as the machine operator. Kevlar thread is good, but if the stitch is too large and not tensioned right it will still get worn away. I can get Kevlar thread but I to use a heavier thread then most factories.
    Kevlar thread is like "Kanagroo leather" just a "Bling" word.

There is no way a Kevlar stitched seam will last longer then a good,proper smooth seam or a proper top stitched seam.Personally, if you need the strength of Kevlar, there is a good chance the thread will rip out of the leather. So, basically a very pronounced seam will wear away faster ,regardless of thread. A smooth seam will last longer and the thread is not stressed.
    Again ,I'll say, put all the leather and thread on the table,,, how the leather is cut and sewn together will dictate your suits quality. A good pattern,cutter will cut the good leather for the hi impact areas.He/she will use the pour leather for none impact or inside reinforcing leather, or throw it out!. A good assemblier will watch the stitch length and thread tension as they sew. That is what you pay for. If you have good cutters and assemblers and you use Kangaroo or Kevlar then it gets better.

Buy a suit from a company that is involved in the sport,,, not just a textile company.

John

I have a used 2 pc Spyke suit I am looking to get rid of. I wore the pants once on the street and the jacket I wore for a season on the street. The suit is in great condition. $400. It's a size 52 euro so that's like 42 here. The suit looks a lot better than my camera takes pictures. If you want to try it on I am in Mississauga. PM me and I will send you my number or send me yours if you are interested.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120_2087.JPG   120_2084.JPG  

Jim Hunt at Cycle Improvements Waterloo has a few really good suits (used) at very good prices.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I use this suit http://www.motonekoparts.com/AGV-Spo...t-p-17217.html

I've been down twice at the track and it's held up amazing. Couple scuffs but thats it. All stitching has held up.

You can find a decent used suit for around $300-$400.
    Don't get hung up on make or colour.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.