2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall

Re: 2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Got a reply from Suzuki canada today----------------------
    -----------------------------------------

Dear Scotty:

Thank you for contacting Suzuki Canada Inc.

Suzuki Canada Inc. will be contacting registered owners of 2005 and 2006 GSX-R1000K5/K6 motorcycles by first class mail with full details regarding the Frame Reinforcement Brace campaign action for this model.

As the owner of one of the involved units, Suzuki wants to ensure you receive this information.

Kindly reply to this email with your complete address information, including postal code, so we will be sure to reach you with our letter. Kindly again include the VIN for your motorcycle with this information. Based on your response with your address information you will receive our Customer Letter on or before February 13th, 2009.

Thank you for your understanding.

Yours truly,
    Customer Relations - Relations à la clientèle
    SUZUKI CANADA INC.
    (905) 889-2677 ext. 2254
    So it's not a recall here in Canada? Just a campaign action?

The US wording calls it a campaign as well. Dunno if that is typical motor company speak for recall, or if it a nice way of saying recall to circumvent the media tribunal that would ensue if the word "recall" was right there in print.

Now I just gotta find a delaer that I fell will do a decent job and give a crap about me the customer, int his mess. I don't think my local one has much interest in it at all.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

when u find one, lmk, i want to know who i should trust to do it on my bike

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    I am just eggin' you on... 'cause it's so easy.

You are the Anti-gixxer. lol
    Its a good bike, but like almost all bikes has some flaws...the problem is its a pretty big ****ing flaw to have...Frame failure is no joke, not only can it be very dangerious. Its also one of the most expensive parts to replace, especially when the manufacturer doesnt want to help you when you bike snaps in half.....

The reason I dislike GSXR's so much comes from personal experience, Ive never owned one and probably never will because of all the problems Ive had to deal with for other people...My experience comes from working on them, and fixing the problems they have for people who get a door slammed in their face by Suzuki when something breaks..

The servo motor on them has been going bad since 2000, and to this day in 09 they still havent replaced that part with one that doesnt fail..

And then there is the frames, Ive seen and delt with more cracked GSXR frames then any other bike...And the scary part is some of them were never crashed...And again this goes back to 2001 model bikes....

You can say the bikes are being abused and used for other things then its designed for, but I say thats complete BS...If the bike can wheelie, which a GSXR1000 does without even trying...Then the frame should be able to handle that, otherwise make it so it doesnt wheelie....

I now wonder how long its going to take for them to recall the 06-07 600 and 750 frames, because alot of those are failing just like the 1000's were....

Bottom line frames crack and fail when crashed very hard, but they should never split a weld 100% clean all the way around.....That is a welding failure, and should simply not happen!

"Campaign" is common auto-company-speak for a voluntary recall. To the end user, it amounts to the same thing.

Images of the welds in question...

WOW.

havin_fun

OK, not a "recall"... whatever... sometimes the legal goofiness is just too much!

From a Suzuki press release posted on the Kneeslider site...

"Suzuki has initiated a safety improvement campaign, NOT a recall conducted under the safety act, in regards to a potential frame problem with the GSX-R1000. Please read the details below. "

http://thekneeslider.com/

Well my dealership got the dye test kit Tuesday, and I'm first in line next week. Something about me being the best candidate for having a screwed frame in northern Ont. Go figure..... At least my dealer knows me well.

I suggest people get there gixxers in soon because once the rush starts there's gonna be a waiting line for replacement frames here in Ont. We (my dealership and I) checked availability today from Zuki Can. and it says limited already.

Let ya all know next week whats up with mine. Just a little side note...my dealers offering to pick up my bike free of charge from my house next week for the inspection with their shop truck. Now that's service northern style.

where is ur dealer? im going to ask if my local one can do that too, since i dont have my truck anymore

I'm in North Bay, and 3 new bikes in the last 7 years helps but an informed old school shop like North Bay cycle where you can talk to the Owner daily helps.
    Guess I'm lucky, Jim the owner actually wants all 5 gixxers 1k's from my riding buddies to be checked in Feb. so we're ready for riding season start in Mar/Apr, not bitching about down time or waiting for parts.

havin_fun

Now Suzuki is changing it's tune, trying to minimize costs. No crashed bikes covered.

So how can they tell the crash wasn't a direct result of a cracked frame?

I have owned all the Big 4 brands in the past, just buying what was available that suited my purposes at the price I was willing to pay. Suzuki sport bikes have just moved onto my "do not buy, ever" list. If I can't trust them to build a product that won't fail in normal use, and then won't stand behind it 100%... guess they don't want my money.

It should take a MAJOR crash to break a frame. The fact they crack with such regularity should be giving Suzuki's liability lawyers kittens.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=35460

I doubt few would remember, but in 1984 a high percentage of the VF500F demo/test bikes sent around to the magazines had major crankshaft failures due to mis-matched bearing shells. Honda recalled ALL of the VF500F engines built to that point, replaced them complete, no questions asked. It turned out only a handful of pre-production engines were affected, but at least VF500F owners KNEW they weren't riding time bombs. Honda also replaced the "soft cams" in the 750 V-4's. I bet if you find one now that hasn't been done, you could take it in and get it done... free.

And Suzuki can't see the wisdom of just getting those frames back and into the melter?

Quote Originally Posted by havin_fun View Post
    Now Suzuki is changing it's tune, trying to minimize costs. No crashed bikes covered.

So how can they tell the crash wasn't a direct result of a cracked frame?
    That's what lawyers are for. Nasty letters from lawyers have a way of changing things. Obviously the circumstances of each individual crash would have to be scrutinized (i.e. no other vehicle involved prior to bike going down, no circumstances indicating rider error, etc). These things have a way of resulting in out-of-court settlements covered by a non-disclosure agreement so that the masses don't find out ...

Quote Originally Posted by havin_fun View Post
    I have owned all the Big 4 brands in the past, just buying what was available that suited my purposes at the price I was willing to pay. Suzuki sport bikes have just moved onto my "do not buy, ever" list.
    I hear ya.

Ok so I had a chat with my friend last night that works at a local Suzuki dealer, that has personally done 4 "band aide" recalls so far...2 were just band aides as the frames were not cracked, and 2 were replacement frames + band aide...

The first thing he said to me when I asked about it was "Dude you dont even know, I dont even feel right as a mechanic doing what they are makin us do"..."were gluing braces to these people frames!"....In all the years working at many different shops and dealers, dealing with tons of recalls...He says this is the worst quick fix he has ever seen from any manufacturer..

So he explained the whole process and kit from Suzuki to me....First of all its a kit, that get sent to them with instructions, no training or anything any mechanic can do this reacall for a Suzuki dealer....

So the first step is removing the bodywork to test the frame useing 2 chemicals, one cleans and preps the area, the other makes the hair line cracks show up visibly....So if your frame isnt cracked yet they go right to the "band aide fix", if your frame does have cracks they fully dissasemble your bike and a new frame comes in from Suzuki (same frames that are cracking, just a new one)...They re VIN the new frame add the band aide and reassemble your bike...

Now for the actual "band aide kit".....Its comes with the chemicals to test for cracks, A cast brace that cups the spars of the frame from the underside, and has a cross brace that connects to the other side under the neck of the frame...A special epoxy (that says has been known to cause cancer on the bottle) some foam padding, surgical gloves, a resperator, and 2 screws....He even said the brace feels weak itself, and that he thinks if he dropped one on the floor, it would crack and maybe shatter...

The area is cleaned, the epoxy and foam padding is applied to the inside of the cap/brace. Its pressed into place and 2 screws get screwed thorugh the brace and frame to hold it in place...And they are done!

At least its keeping the dealers busy! He said if its just the band aide they get payed for 3 hours labour from Suzuki. If its a frame + band aide they get like 12 hours labor for the whole rebuild/frame swap + band aide...And because dealers like CW and McBride closed down, they get a list of all the people that bought bikes affected by the recall. And have a chance to call and offer to do the service for them, and they are even picking up and dropping the bikes back at peoples houses or places of storage because its winter....

He says most people are ok with it, and still stand behind their beloved Suzuki product...However one person just spent around $10,000 customizing his bike before the recall...And said as soon as the recall/repair is done, the bike is up for sale...He wants nothing to do with a patched frame...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-04-2009 at 10:27 AM.

So this makes it a bit easier to understand where SoN derives their conscientiousness from.

One more thing, if your bike shows any signs of being crashed before....Your SOL! And dont qualify for the recall, your bike has to be uncrashed...Rashed fairing from a tip over or minor drop = SOL

So is the solution just not to buy a Suzuki?? Not being harsh or flaming, but from the sounds of it, this is a pretty sketchy situation..

Is there something the average Joe can get done to get this fixed up properly?
    '05 Z1000

Yup. Sell the bike and buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    One more thing, if your bike shows any signs of being crashed before....Your SOL! And dont qualify for the recall, your bike has to be uncrashed...Rashed fairing from a tip over or minor drop = SOL
    So, remove all the bodywork and all levers etc, replace scuffed engine covers, and give them the bare bike ...

this Suzuki kit can be bought?and yes There is another solution guys!!!!rather than selling your bike.

Not sure if everyone has their facts straight or not but...

I brought my bike in on Wed and called today to check on status. so it has been 9 days. They already have the frame in the shop for the swap (mine was cracked) and are starting the rebuild. No problems from Suzuki or anything.. Am I happy with the fix?? No I would prefer that they fixed the flaw and made a new frame rather then just brace a new possibly flawed frame.

All in all I am happy with the fact that they issued the recall and sent the replacement with little to no fuss.

For me I say thank you Suzuki and I would buy another if I was in the market. As it stands. I love the bike I have and could not image another nor a newer one.
    It's hard to make the turn when your staring at the ditch