2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall

Re: 2005/6 GSX-R1000 Frame recall

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    LOL Your too funny! Did I say anything about Kawi? Did I say Kawi frames dont break too? Ive broken 2 Kawi frames, but I crashed them pretty ****ing hard before they broke...GSXR's break on their own just being ridden hard...BIG DIFFERENCE!

My freinds GSXR frame split 2 welds and he never even crashed it yet.....Kawis dont do that....You need to actually crash hard to break them...

You must own a gsxr! Susuki themselfs admit the frames are garbage and recall them and your still in denial..Well good for you, I know better...
    I am just eggin' you on... 'cause it's so easy.

You are the Anti-gixxer. lol

Kewl, mine's in the list.....Hmmmm

Hasn't broke yet....

Actually a clutch mod, recall would also be great!!!!!

Here is a link to the Suzuki Tech Bulletin.

http://jsdproducts.com/Downloads/asmc_008698.pdf

Hopefully those of us affected will get something in the mail soon. From the looks of things they will be at least inspecting the bikes and adding a brace for added safety.
    Cobourg, ON CANADA (1hr East of T.O.)
    2005 Gsxr 1000 Limited Edit (All Black) 6,200km
    Full Akra exhaust with Motty Afr Tuner

If the problem was only happening when the bike was being used outside of design parameters (such as repeated hard wheelie landings and crashes) then I dont think this recall would have taken place. This to me says that Suzuki has recognized a further deficiency of the frame, where it might crack under normal-but-hard riding, or when landing a single accidental wheelie.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

it's not the first frame recall by a manufacturer

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/weldissues.htm

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    it's not the first frame recall by a manufacturer

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/weldissues.htm
    I'm sure there are many..
    Here's the ZX-14 frame recall.
    http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewth...D=39449&FID=27

All registered owners of the models sold in Canada will soon get a notice in the mail. The recall will be identical to the US bulletin.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

just spoke to american suzuki today, the us bulletin will be made public on the 21st of jan, and canada should follow in a month or 2 after they said.....

hopefully not too long after. I wanna start riding once it hits 8-10 degrees!
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by kneedraggin101 View Post
    just spoke to american suzuki today, the us bulletin will be made public on the 21st of jan, and canada should follow in a month or 2 after they said.....
    Not sure who you spoke to but that info is incorrect. The US recall was made public last week on the 15th. The Canadian recall won't take two months.
    2011 R.A.C.E. Middleweight Twins Champion
    www.bulletmotoracing.com
    Thanks to: Motovan, Durham Top Quality Collision, Hindle exhausts, OGK Kabuto Helmets, Vortex Racing, Impact Safe-T-Armor, Suzuki of Newmarket and Orion Motorsports

havin_fun

Given that this has obviously been an known issue for at least a couple years, you can bet Suzuki will drag it's feet as long as possible. Perhaps a few contacts with the appropriate MTO and Federal vehicle safety depatrments might make Suzuki see the wisdom of getting all these bikes fixed before the riding season starts? If they do plan on delaying for months, they believe the risk is "acceptable". As in Pinto gas thanks were "acceptable".

I don't own one, so have no standing to make inquiries.

I would beg to differ on the foot-dragging. Once a recall notice goes out, it's pretty much a public admission of a design flaw. If something happens in the interim (between the time the notice is issued and the time every vehicle has been fixed) it's a recipe for a lawsuit.

Back in '04 I experienced the 2004 ZX10R front wheel recall (in which there were NO crashes, but apparently a very small number of defects found worldwide). The recall notice had strong words to not use the vehicle until it was repaired. (protection from lawyers.) Most people did anyway ... I kept riding it until the tire was worn out - free front tire installation.

I called my local dealer and he claimed no to know anything about this problem or recall. I told him to look for it online and he said that until SUzuki contacts him he has no interest in bothering to research it at all.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    I would beg to differ on the foot-dragging. Once a recall notice goes out, it's pretty much a public admission of a design flaw. If something happens in the interim (between the time the notice is issued and the time every vehicle has been fixed) it's a recipe for a lawsuit.

Back in '04 I experienced the 2004 ZX10R front wheel recall (in which there were NO crashes, but apparently a very small number of defects found worldwide). The recall notice had strong words to not use the vehicle until it was repaired. (protection from lawyers.) Most people did anyway ... I kept riding it until the tire was worn out - free front tire installation.
    i think the words "catastrophic failure" were used in that front wheel recall.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I called my local dealer and he claimed no to know anything about this problem or recall. I told him to look for it online and he said that until SUzuki contacts him he has no interest in bothering to research it at all.
    wow....
    what a terrible dealer, he could have atleast worded it better

havin_fun

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Yup, Suzuki not moving to get this covered off ASAP in all jurisdictions where that serial #'s exist is a major legal boo-boo. The fact this is in general circulation in the US with no mention or dealer awareness in Canada does make one wonder. Perhaps because it is still possible to ride in the southern states, they have made announcements and probably limited parts available there first.

But what about Canadian owners of these bikes who will be doing US trackdays or taking US riding vacations? Suzuki Canada should be prepared/equipped to fix those bikes sooner rather than later.

Ya, my dealer didn't know about it either and looked it up on the Suzuki Can. site, nothing there yet, but will be like stated earlier. At least my dealer was interested in the recall, he remembers the goldwing recall and is a very good/established dealer. Dead/maimed customers aren't repeat customers...

As I work on my own bike, does anyone know of a good reputable Suzuki dealership to handle this recall?
    Thanks
    "If you can't find em, grind em"

Got a reply from Suzuki canada today----------------------
    -----------------------------------------

Dear Scotty:

Thank you for contacting Suzuki Canada Inc.

Suzuki Canada Inc. will be contacting registered owners of 2005 and 2006 GSX-R1000K5/K6 motorcycles by first class mail with full details regarding the Frame Reinforcement Brace campaign action for this model.

As the owner of one of the involved units, Suzuki wants to ensure you receive this information.

Kindly reply to this email with your complete address information, including postal code, so we will be sure to reach you with our letter. Kindly again include the VIN for your motorcycle with this information. Based on your response with your address information you will receive our Customer Letter on or before February 13th, 2009.

Thank you for your understanding.

Yours truly,
    Customer Relations - Relations à la clientèle
    SUZUKI CANADA INC.
    (905) 889-2677 ext. 2254
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6