What is the law on loud exhausts in Ontario? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the law on loud exhausts in Ontario?

Re: What is the law on loud exhausts in Ontario?

Quote Originally Posted by strictlye View Post
    Tell that to the cop who gave me a ticket for excessive noise with my OEM exhaust. It's excessive if the cop says it is.
    Seriously? What a pile of sh..
    Tell me it was at least after 11 PM in a residential neighbourhood/schoolzone and you were doing 20 over or something and not just complete trash?

I have some very loud Hindles on a VTR. They were the "Stealth" Hindles a few years ago - now...not so much.
    Never so much as a sideways glance by the Police...why?
    Stay out of it in the city...if you control your right hand, they're not that loud.

well I hope you fought that tooth and nail!

Tell that to the cop who gave me a ticket for excessive noise with my OEM exhaust. It's excessive if the cop says it is.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Tell me it was at least after 11 PM in a residential neighbourhood/schoolzone and you were doing 20 over or something and not just complete trash?

I was ticketed with my import because of my exaust... 5:30 pm in Meadowvale (Ride at 5:30PM weekday if you can beleive it!)
    I asked the officer about the acceptable level of noise...
    "Do you know why they call it a muffler??? It is to MUFFLE the sound, not enhance it! Have you ever had a ticket before?" I replied "No..." and yes I was VERY polite with him from the get go...
    "Well today is your lucky day..." Came back with 3 tickets for me, Illegal muffler, improper plate display, and Noise infraction of some kind... all this while a bunch of other cars with louder exausts then mine were passing through the ride spot check.. He explained to me... "ANY aftermarket non-OEM part on a car is illegal, I could give you a ticket because of your tires and rims if I wanted as they are not OEM." He was kinda a jerk to me and I could tell he just wanted to teach me a lesson. I even mentioned that he could check his computer as I had been pulled over 3 times that week (no tickets issued)... If the first, second, and third officer did not mention the infractions how was I to know?

YES POLICE LOVE TO CHECK MODIFIED IMPORTS!!! Man in Civic with ANY modifications is a 100% pull over according to a friend that happens to be a cop in the GTA... He also mentioned that 85% of those pull overs have something in the car they sould not, (Ganja, booze, weapons, etc). lol, they have their reasons!

Bottomline...
    Cops have the badge and the ticket book, what you "think" means nothing... Best case scenario, you fight the ticket and win, but who can afford to miss a day of work for that these days?!
    Total BS, but little you can do.
    Last edited by BlackCrowe13; 02-11-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
    Ummmm, no that is not true at all. There is no provision for noise. The only thing is straight pipes... not good.
    read it again:
    "Muffler
    75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75"

the standard for "excessive noise" is more noise greater than with an OEM exhaust. So there IS a provision for noise.

And you will get a ticket for it, depending on the mood of the officer. An officer was about to give me a ticket for my TiForce muffler, but I challenged him by saying "you guys let all those harleys ride around with straight through pipes, and you give me a hard time about my muffled exhaust!?" he chuckled and said "yeah, your right" and let it go.

In response to Brian P.: it's not a straight through muffler that's illegal as there are several OEM mufflers that do have a straight through design, section 75(1) reads no "straight exhaust" which is an exhaust system made up of one long pipe. ie. no muffler. Many officers would have you believe otherwise, though.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Common misconception. Most noise regulations state nothing about a time, though your home owners association / condo association / rental agreement might. They typically state something about "enjoyment of property", or similar wording. Take a look at the Brampton bylaw, for instance:

http://www.brampton.ca/bylaws/Noise.pdf

I had a neighbour who played his stereo day and night, until about 11:00pm, turned up to eleven. It was loud enough to rattle the dishes in the cupboards and visibly shake the pictures on the adjoining wall. I have no idea how his toddler son didn't go deaf. We tried, repeatedly, to deal with him in a reasonable and neighbourly manner. At one point he almost became violent, just because I asked him to turn it down. Well, to hell with him then. We got him repeatedly cited under the noise bylaws.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Common misconception. Most noise regulations state nothing about a time, though your home owners association / condo association / rental agreement might. They typically state something about "enjoyment of property", or similar wording. Take a look at the Brampton bylaw, for instance:

http://www.brampton.ca/bylaws/Noise.pdf
    I thought there was something in the city of Toronto that stopped/prevented people from doing construction/home renovation between certain hours, assumed (if this does exist), that it was some kind of noise thing... maybe its just not waking up your neighbour too early so he doesn't break your windows lol.

I thought there was something in the city of Toronto that stopped/prevented people from doing construction/home renovation between certain hours, assumed (if this does exist), that it was some kind of noise thing... maybe its just not waking up your neighbour too early so he doesn't break your windows lol.
    No noise caused by construction equipment on Sunday and stats, in Toronto.

http://www.toronto-bia.com/resources...k/SectionM.pdf
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbobee View Post
    I am thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust on my bike, and I'm curious as to what the law is here on that in Ontario?

Can't find any official and proper procedures anywhere, any info is much appriciated.
    I thought the maximum level of noise that new mufflers can produce is either 90 or 96 dB at 6'. It's irrelevant, really, since some cops pull you over for subjectively and without real cause. You'll hear tons of stories of imports getting pulled over, or harleys, or both. Everyone feels their group is the most wronged, probably just tends to be who the cop feels pissy at that particular day.

If you're actually worried, get a noise meter. A decent one is this one. Regardless, they're like $30 off ebay or an electronics store, and rougly the size of your palm. When the cop pulls up, ask him what the required level is, and pull that out. Be polite.

The truth is, a decent truck (read: 18 wheeler) under load, or a bus, at 6' is far louder than most bikes. Even with modified exhausts. Just be prepared to fight the charge, and politely discuss it with the officer. And don't be a dick and run up and down neighbourhoods at 2am running WOT. Hell, on my Talon, I sometimes feel bad when I get to my area at 2am, and nearly idle the rest of the way home as to not annoy anyone.

Yup... depeding on what time of construction you are doing, you cannot do anything past 7 pm or 9pm. I am intimately aware of this bylaw because on the last home I flipped, my neighbor would sit by her window watching the clock and if so much as a drill whirled, she would call the police on me. I got her back by doing all my loud work at exactly 7AM.. which is when I am legally allowed to start.

decibel ratings are for California and some other USA states. Ontario does not have such a criteria. It is strictly at the discretion of the officer, and what they're instructed to do is consider if it is louder than stock (OEM), and if it is, it's a "noisy muffler"

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    I thought the maximum level of noise that new mufflers can produce is either 90 or 96 dB at 6'. It's irrelevant, really, since some cops pull you over for subjectively and without real cause. You'll hear tons of stories of imports getting pulled over, or harleys, or both. Everyone feels their group is the most wronged, probably just tends to be who the cop feels pissy at that particular day.

If you're actually worried, get a noise meter. A decent one is this one. Regardless, they're like $30 off ebay or an electronics store, and rougly the size of your palm. When the cop pulls up, ask him what the required level is, and pull that out. Be polite.

The truth is, a decent truck (read: 18 wheeler) under load, or a bus, at 6' is far louder than most bikes. Even with modified exhausts. Just be prepared to fight the charge, and politely discuss it with the officer. And don't be a dick and run up and down neighbourhoods at 2am running WOT. Hell, on my Talon, I sometimes feel bad when I get to my area at 2am, and nearly idle the rest of the way home as to not annoy anyone.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Riding in a parade of traffic Carabana night @ 12am, on Richmond st. downtown, passing a club.....

I fought it but I had to plea bargin to a lesser charge. The cop actually gave me 4 tickets that night. He didn't like sportbike riders and was purposely trying to find things to give tickets for.
    Last edited by strictlye; 02-12-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    decibel ratings are for California and some other USA states. Ontario does not have such a criteria. It is strictly at the discretion of the officer, and what they're instructed to do is consider if it is louder than stock (OEM), and if it is, it's a "noisy muffler"
    Speaking in terms of people who've successfully argued the case in court and won, going to the judge and saying "My car is quieter than several other OEM vehicles (a bus, a truck, a 4x4 diesel, etc), and here's the data to show it", along with the lack of any realistic objective measuring, and the case is dismissed.

Laws shouldn't be subjective, that's how we get into trouble. Why officers aren't required to carry around sound meters and the number isn't set in stone is beyond me. But a judge will agree that you can't be held to a higher standard than any other vehicle on the road, and dismiss the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mma01 View Post
    Yup... depeding on what time of construction you are doing, you cannot do anything past 7 pm or 9pm. I am intimately aware of this bylaw because on the last home I flipped, my neighbor would sit by her window watching the clock and if so much as a drill whirled, she would call the police on me. I got her back by doing all my loud work at exactly 7AM.. which is when I am legally allowed to start.
    Good stuff

Riding in a parade of traffic Carabana night @ 12am, on Richmond st. downtown, passing a club.....

I fought it but I had to plea bargin to a lesser charge. The cop actually gave me 4 tickets that night. He didn't like sportbike riders and was purposely trying to find things to give tickets for.
    Bad stuff

JohnC

There seems to be an epidemic of loud motorcyle mufflers in Toronto this year. Come on guys - show a little consideration for the other people who live in the city. Some of them are loud enough to set off car alarms as they go by. This is insane!

If anyone is interested, any muffler that is not an OEM part of a vehicle is thereby considered to be a "Hollywood" muffler...for show and noise and is therefore subject to being ticketed for improper muffler not necessarily noise pollution itself. I think that most exhausts will say "not for highway use" on the packaging or somewhere on the paperwork when you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gamma1 View Post
    If anyone is interested, any muffler that is not an OEM part of a vehicle is thereby considered to be a "Hollywood" muffler...
    what are you talking about? Hollywood muffler is a style of muffler. It describes the sound of the muffler. It's what the old HotRods used to install. Hollywood muffler is a glasspack, like the old Thrush mufflers.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    what are you talking about? Hollywood muffler is a style of muffler. It describes the sound of the muffler. It's what the old HotRods used to install. Hollywood muffler is a glasspack, like the old Thrush mufflers.
    Replace "Hollywood" with any brand or style you want and the outcome is the same. Whether it's for a car or bike. If it isn't what came with the bike you can be ticketed, it's at the officer's discretion...clear enough for ya!

"Hollywood" is the term specifically referenced in the law, but the HTA doesn't provide a definition for it, which makes it an arguable point in court. Still, if you are concerned about being charged with this, an OEM muffler is an almost bulletproof defence, and a quiet non-attention-getting aftermarket muffler with the noise-reducing baffle installed so that it is not "straight-thru" is very unlikely to cause any trouble unless you go to Quebec.