Any ATC riders out there? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any ATC riders out there?

Re: Any ATC riders out there?

If anyone needs the shop manual for this bike or anyother bike, go to this website. www.manualz.info just click on the brand on the top of the screen and look for your model. It has almost every bike, trike, ATV, and scooter on there.
    Its not what you ride, its how you ride it.

92' GSXR 1100--85' RZ 350--93' PW80 Stunt Bike--81' ATC200--85' ATC250R

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Thanks man - I appreciate your offer! I might just do that if I run into difficulties.

Had a chance to get back to the farm this weekend and have a closer look at the trike. Needs a bit more work than I thought... here's a short video that shows you the amount of work I'm in for!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTC0VrBpdw&fmt=22
    That arm bolt looks loose, is it the frame or just a loose nut? Your a brave man for riding with that chain, if it comes off right it will take out the motor.

Here's what I see.....Chain/sprockets, F&R bearings, arm bearings, seat cover, pipe, bar switch. There's probably a few other odds but it's not that bad. Check this place out too, you may find more parts there, http://airfoolers.com/forum/

Too bad you don't have it in the city, I could have it in boxes in 3 hours.

Don't feel bad, here's what I started with. Mine had clutch and kick start problems also.
    Last edited by fightin-ry; 04-21-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fightin-ry View Post
    That arm bolt looks loose, is it the frame or just a loose nut? Your a brave man for riding with that chain, if it comes off right it will take out the motor.

Here's what I see.....Chain/sprockets, F&R bearings, arm bearings, seat cover, pipe, bar switch. There's probably a few other odds but it's not that bad. Check this place out too, you may find more parts there, http://airfoolers.com/forum/

Too bad you don't have it in the city, I could have it in boxes in 3 hours.

Don't feel bad, here's what I started with. Mine had clutch and kick start problems also.
    thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, how could a bad chain take out a motor?? I know I shouldn't have been riding it with such a loose chain, but I never imagined that it could trash my motor!!

As for your first question - it's not just a loose nut

thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, how could a bad chain take out a motor?? I know I shouldn't have been riding it with such a loose chain, but I never imagined that it could trash my motor!!

If the chain comes off, it might bunch up at the front sprocket and take out the clutch lever/case. It's definitely $100+ for the left case and you'll have to tare the whole motor down to change it. All in all a few hundred for not having the chain adjusted.

As for your first question - it's not just a loose nut
    Your going to have to see a welder to get the hole filled and re drilled or have a plate made to weld over it. It looks like some one already had a washer welded to the frame to take up the slop in the pivot.

Time to pull the whole trike apart, it could use a little paint anyways

Any progress on the trike? Spring is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by fightin-ry View Post
    Any progress on the trike? Spring is coming.
    Unfortunately I haven't even been back to the farm since last speaking - so very slow progress I'm afraid

I'm hoping to get back in the next couple weeks, so I'll tear the back end apart and see what parts I need. I suppose I should be searching eBay for a chain and bearings at the very least. One of the wheels wobbles at high speed, so I fear I have a bent axle as well

At least the rear brake parts have arrived!

Question - is it possible to reverse a tire on a hub, or are the tires left/right specific? For some reason, one of the tires is on backwards and the treads are facing the wrong way... I've heard removing/installing tires on a hub is a real chore!
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 03-31-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Sounds like it's going to be a long term project.

Jack it up and run it to see if the axle, hub or wheel is bent. I've had a wheel bend before.

The tire could have been put on back wards or the rim if there's no offset to the wheel. Changing a tire with out a machine is a *****, I have the one from princess auto and I can swap a tire in 10 minutes.

Spring is in the air, I'm going to start pulling mine down for paint, rebuild the forks and few other odds.

Talking Re: Any ATC riders out there?

Great little atc forum. the only one i have found so far. I just picked up a 83 ytm 200. having a blast with it .hope to get out to the ganny one day

Aren't these illegal to ride anywhere other than your property??
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

not from what i heard. i have seen them up on the 115 hwy getting gas. before the ganny trails. plus i just changed mine over today. plate no problem.

My two trikes are plated and insured, never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Aren't these illegal to ride anywhere other than your property??
    As long as you're green plated with insurance, you're good to ride! They are just as legal to ride as any ATV.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

I passed 3 trikes at the Ganny yesterday. Havent seen one let alone 3 in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by jdepp View Post
    I passed 3 trikes at the Ganny yesterday. Havent seen one let alone 3 in a long time
    Wait til you have one of the R's passing you.

As long as you're green plated with insurance, you're good to ride! They are just as legal to ride as any ATV.
    AWESOME!!!! For some reason I always thought they were illegal, I guess it's because they haven't been produced for so many years. But just today I seen one on trailered.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Just picked up a 84 225DX to go along with the 83 ytm 200 having trouble posting pics of them

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Just picked up a 84 225DX to go along with the 83 ytm 200 having trouble posting pics of them
    Very nice! I finally got my frame welded and am now ready to start moving everything over to it. Can't wait to go riding with all you guys with trikes. I still think we should all invade the Ganny one day - I can't wait to see the look on people's faces when a gang of trike riders pass by!

In case you missed a post I made in another thread, this is some classic watching material from back in the day. It's cool to see the trikes in their pristine brand new condition hitting the trails hard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaXVZBy3UB0&fmt=18

I got my ATC stripped to the frame practically... now I just need to remove the motor (I *think* I can just remove the carb, then manoeuvre the engine out of the frame) and move it to my newly welded replacement frame and start putting everything back together!

Providing I can get a few nights free in the next couple weeks, I hope to have it ridable by June 1st!

Replacement frame welded:

Stripped trike:

Bunch of parts ready to be re-assembled:

Your motor should just tilt 'n' slide out.

Did you check your shocks and forks before you pulled them down? It will be tough to ride if your suspension is like a pogo stick.

Hurry up!

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Turtle asked that I post the pictures of his ATC's since he's having difficulties... here they are!