advice on beginner "no-name" (or no-frills) dirtbikes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on beginner "no-name" (or no-frills) dirtbikes...

advice on beginner "no-name" (or no-frills) dirtbikes...

I'm shopping for a very beginner bike for my gf for the 2k9 season. She's never had any experience on a motorized bike other than an oldschool honda moped.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, I rode dirtbikes with my friends so I am familiar with the big names (ie honda, yamaha, kawasaki) - however in searching for a beginner bike for her I've realized there are a lot more types of dirt bikes around these days than in years past.

First off, I don't even really understand the difference between a "pit bike" and a dirtbike. I've never seen a pitbike in person - are they similar to pocket bikes, except for dirt? Are pitbikes much smaller than say a honda crf 50?

There seem to be a whole host of new names out there - like Daymak, BSE, Konker, etc. I don't know anything about these companies or their products... should I be staying away from them or are they an option I should consider for her?

Again, she is a total n00b with no riding experience, so the less powerful the better. She's about 5'6" and 110 lbs. I'm looking for a bike that she can use to ride with me in forest trails - she definitely won't be jumping or doing any crazy hill climbing this year.

I'm basically trying to decide what's best for her - a small entry level honda, or one of these new pitbikes... any advice greatly appreciated!!

Re: advice on beginner "no-name" (or no-frills) dirtbikes...

I can't see a pit bike being a legitimate replacement for a real dirt bike. I spent some time on an old Honda CT70 and the suspension was not very happy with a real sized person on it. I say leave the mini-bikes for mini-people and stunters. Buy her a low powered real size bike.

Look for a Honda CRF100, CRF150, Yamaha TTR125, etc. These bikes are all smaller, easy to handle 4 strokes with low maintenance and high reliability. Stay away from the no-name Chinese stuff. They have a reputation for breaking down and have poor dealer and parts support.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

if she owns a fake L.V. purse, get her a chinese bike.
    JUST RIDE IT.

I would stick with the name brand bikes. I race motocross every weekend and this year, alot of the top kids were on the CRF 150 in the 85 class. These bikes really haul arse! However, just becaust it's a honda doesn't make it bullet proof they honda motocross bikes are known for needing valve adjustments more often than the other 4 main dirt bike brands (Kawi, yam, KTM, Suz) I wouldn't advise one of those as a first bike they have some real snap to them.
    How big is your gf?
    A TTR 125 is a good bike for beginners if you get the big wheel version and are fairly cheap, or a CRF 230 nice and mellow, decent suspension (I've seen a few people do some nice doubles with them) and they have a good reliability rating... Why not an old XR200? Wicked beginner bikes and incredibly tough.
    A pit bike is not a different name for a pocket bike. Typically, pit bikes are a re-modeled CRF 50 or something similar. They are really gaining popularity as I see them being rode around in the pits alot and people (yes, full sized adults too) race them. Thumpster is a great name brand for those, at least in the states. I'm pretty sure it's the brand that Jeremy Mcgrath races. Lots of the pit bikes are now 110 cc. I wouldn't advise on one of them as a beginner bike if you want to take her out on the trails, it would be more of a hastle for you and the small wheels make it harder in rougher terrain.
    So my list of pics for her are the CRF 230, TTR 125, XR 200 or if she feels she can do it, a WR250 is great, it has electric start, a nicer power band and yamaha is one of the best for reliability in these 4 strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    How big is your gf?
    She's 5'6" 110 lbs.

Thanks for the tips guys - you confirmed what I was leaning towards. I just didn't want to rule out pitbikes if they might suit her needs, but it clearly seems I should stay away from them.

I like the xr100 idea - I bet that would be perfect for her. I was originally leaning towards an atv for her, but she seems to think she'd prefer a bike (good for her!).

A crf100 or ttr125 are also good suggestions - i think a crf150 would be too much for her (she somehow managed to wheelie and crash the oldschool moped, so a 150 is out of the question for now lol).

Thanks again guys...

-Xhum

I don't think a CRF 150 would be too much for her. I taught two different people (one a girl) to ride a CRF230 and they had no problems at all. Within 20 mins they were buzzing around pretty good. You can loop any bike of you rev and pop the clutch but if she is careful and can grasp the concept of using the clutch she will be fine. I find it helpful to expalin exactly how a clutch works before they even get on the bike. This seems to really help.

I wouldnt get her one of the knock off bikes..they are crap..you'll spend more tme fixing it than riding it...

Some of the guys made some good suggestions, but you also have take in consideration the height thing...and the weight of the bike

dirt bikes are usually higher, and the ground is never even, so unlike on the street, when usually you can put atleast one foot down, you may want to make sure she can atleast touch where she is comfortable, cause once you get on uneven ground, and you can't get your footing over you go.
    I know that this happens to guys to, but thats when the weight of the bike comes in, she needs to be able to pick it the bike on her own while you stand and laugh ...

I had a DR200, which is dual. I'm not sure if I would really recommend it. But...I could touch, i could pick it up,but it just didn't have the power that I wanted.

Definalty buy used for a dirt bike for her, because under all the mud and dirt she's still a girl and well change her mind.

Good luck with your search

[QUOTE=ts;783165]I wouldnt get her one of the knock off bikes..they are crap..you'll spend more tme fixing it than riding it...

I agree. It will be nothing but trouble and you wiull never find parts.

Dont get a pitbike for trail ridding,she will need bigger wheels and higher bike to get over rocks and small logs on the trail.I bought my daughter a ttr 125le last year and is doing alot better becouse the wheels are bigger than her xr80.Also the electric start is a godsent for a beginner and its easier on you becouse you wont be getting of your bike all day when she stalls it Bye the way my daughter is only 5' 1" and the 125 is just fine.

The best cheap bike around is Pitster Pro bikes.
    They are slightly more money than your no name cheap brands, but not as much as the big ones.

Their GPX motors are based on direct Honda parts and the quality from what I have heard is outstanding. They have a pretty nice lineup of bikes, everything from Supermoto to dirtbikes to street legal ones (at least in the USA).

Check out thumpertalk.com or pitbikecentral.com and you will not find one bad review! Pitsterpro.ca has a different lineup than the american site but for under 2000 you should be able to find something decent.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    She's 5'6" 110 lbs.
    pics ??

i cant believe im the first one to ask, donny you must actually be working today

lmao

Konker motors

hey,
    you might want to start researching the Konker KSM200 - dual sport bike. for 2995.00 it's street legal, and includes a full coverage 1 year warranty. onewheeldrive.net, and cmgonline.com just finished a honest review of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Konker motors View Post
    hey,
    you might want to start researching the Konker KSM200 - dual sport bike. for 2995.00 it's street legal, and includes a full coverage 1 year warranty. onewheeldrive.net, and cmgonline.com just finished a honest review of it.
    For that kind of money he can get a 2009 honda crf100 with honda reliability.As for pit bikes PitsterPro is the only one I would touch.Just last week I helped put together a geovani I think its called.One of these 125cc chinese imports.
    1-plastic was bent all over the place
    2-nuts and bolts are poor quality
    3-anodized parts (if thats what it really is) where cheap looking
    4-black rims are just painted
    5-rear brake pedal was bent under the motor(no problem I just bent it
    back by hand)
    6-rear brake did not work even though it had brake fluid(also no
    adjustment)
    7-No torque specs for anything,hand tighten only I guess lol
    Thats only some of it,but then what can you expect for $480 off ebay.

Plus we need to keep our dealerships open and mechanics employed so stay away from chinese imports.
    Last edited by canuckwr250; 04-28-2009 at 11:14 PM.

No kidding - if I had $3000 to spend I wouldn't be investing in a chineese bike.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Quote Originally Posted by Konker motors View Post
    hey,
    Did you guys even notice the posters name...enough said...
    2002 Suzuki SV650S

Honda has two 150 cc dirt bike's, a liquid cooled race bike and a air cooled trail bike.
    Look for a yamaha ttr125 big wheel or a suzuki dz125 (they are exactly the same bike)

find it hard to beleive the TTR and the DZ are the same bike where it was Suzuki and Kawi a couple years ago that shared alot of the same designs, can't see suzuki also sharing designs with another competitor.
    You might be right but I find it hard to beleive!

They are exact twin's, stickers and color are the only think that is different.