Motorcycle show impressions

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle show impressions

Motorcycle show impressions

So I just got back from the motorcycle show. I was there from 10am until 6pm. I have to say the show looks scaled back this year. The isles seemed to be wider this year and there were empty spots between some of the vendors (something I don't think I've ever seen there before). There seemed to be way less vintage and custom bikes on display and there seemed to be less gizmos and gadgets for sale (however there were at least 2 chamie booths). Several of the vendors were almost sold out of popular women's sizes in boots (as my Wife sadly found out) and there seemed to be fewer booths selling things.

The one thing that I did enjoy was working the Ride for Sight booth. We had a great crew again this year! Got to see some old friends and make new ones and we had a great time helping to get the word out for RFS 2009!

After we left and I was turning onto the 409 I remembered I forgot to stop by the GTAM booth! CRAP! Sorry Cutekill!

One thing I did notice, if you are in a positon to buy a new bike, there were some AMAZING deals. There was a Suzuki Bandit 1250 SAE (the one with all the bags) normally listing for $11,999 and I saw it for as low as $9850! Other bikes had similar deals. There was a 2008 Suzuki S40 for $3,999! Almost every booth I saw had '08 bikes with great price reductions, except for Honda. They never seem to discount their bikes much.

So, thats my impression of this years show, still worth going and entertaining, but definately scaled back. With the state of the economy and uncertainty in the job sector, I'm not surpised.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

Re: Motorcycle show impressions

I just came back too, and this is the last time I am going to the show. a total waste of time, no good deals, everything listed I can get it in store the same price or few bucks cheaper, not to mention online even much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    (however there were at least 2 chamie booths).
    more like 2 in each hall.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Pretty Much my impression, Good Deals on new and used bikes, not too much on gear.. We were looking for a new helmet for my Wife.. Some good deals on Shark Helmets,, Nothing better than Royal Distributing has Every Day on Shoei...

What I found entertaining was some of the Idiot Shoppers,,, I overheard on guy in the GP Booth pick up a ARAI Profile w Graphics and tell the GP Guy, I'll give you $200 Cash,,, Too Funny..

Another Guy was trying to convince them to "price match" on a Shoei RF1000 w graphics for $250 with some unnamed "Other Booth"

the prices were the same that you can find at the stores. Many of the vendors have nothing to do with bikes. A big flee market.

I was generally underwhelmed as well. I was there from about 10:30am until 2:30pm. I checked out every hall, although not every inch, and I didn't see the GTAM booth. I did keep an eye out for it, but I was wondering and the friend who was with me kept getting distracted by beef jerky, which was literally everywhere! Parking was difficult, made me think had they held the show in the summer the lot would be all bikes and just as much a show as the inside...

I was a little underwhelmed as well. Got a couple no tax deals but nothing crazy good. Decent way to spend an afternoon i guess.

Thumbs down Re: Motorcycle show impressions

I posted this elsewhere, but I don't mind repeating myself;
    --------------------------------------
    This was my first motorcycle show, and I don't get the hype.

I almost didn't go when I saw there was no parking... like WTF. There were plenty of spots but they were designated for some reason. Who are these people who are more valuable than showgoers? I even thought I found a spot in a row of parallel cars along a fence but one of the parking attendants looked at me and shook his head. I asked him where I should park (it wasn't like any of the other cars in the row were about to be towed) and he said "not here!" So here's not there to help people park, he's there to help them, NOT park! Man this show is disorganised. They advertise free parking, but you have to fight for it yourself. They advertise access by bus and train but you have to figure out the schedules and fares yourself.

Anyways the GO train passed by and some parking freed up so I got in, and what a disappointment. There weren't a large variety of bikes, most of the floorspace seemed to be devoted to merchants. There was only one selling GPS units (5% off, woo hoo), and not a single one had a balaclava at the show. Oh, but you could buy a motorhome (?!?) This isn't a "supershow", it's not even a show, it's just a marketplace.

Few people seemed to know about the fight against Bill 117, and none knew where to sign the petition. Shouldn't the organizers have made an effort to spread the word (they have no problem with activism on their website; http://www.supershowevents.com/supershow-news.html )

So all I got out of the show were some leads for advanced riding lessons, the chance to say hi to cutekill, and I finally found the petition and signed it.

I will never be back.
    Last edited by fastar1; 01-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by apstndp View Post
    I just came back too, and this is the last time I am going to the show. a total waste of time, no good deals, everything listed I can get it in store the same price or few bucks cheaper, not to mention online even much cheaper.
    +1 waste of time and 15 bucks, not even close to be called "show"
    not going back for sure....

Thats too bad....seems like a trend....every year they get smaller or worse!

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly View Post
    I was generally underwhelmed as well. I was there from about 10:30am until 2:30pm. I checked out every hall, although not every inch, and I didn't see the GTAM booth. I did keep an eye out for it, but I was wondering and the friend who was with me kept getting distracted by beef jerky, which was literally everywhere! Parking was difficult, made me think had they held the show in the summer the lot would be all bikes and just as much a show as the inside...
    I bought some beef jerky and some summer sausage from one of them and when i got home it said best before Dec 18 2008.

Thumbs down Re: Motorcycle show impressions

First time at this show..........oh yeah, last time too.

So I get there at 12:30pm since I was tied up getting my tire repaired (screw puncture). So I get there heading West on Derry from 427........long line so I head to Airport, make a left (south), get into the left turn lane to pull into the lot and the OPP tells me I have to pull a U-turn and go in the other way.

So I head back to the North entrance, I'm the 5th car and out come the pylons, LOT'S FULL.

I went 2 blocks North and parked in a free lot, took a 10 min walk back....what do I see?!? The OPP letting cars in where I was trying to enter.....I was ******.

Didn't buy anything, I thought I was at the The Olde Hide House - "It's worth the drive to Acton"

I'm usually not this cynical but give me a break. My buddy bought the little bottle of glue that these two guys were demonstrating.......how sad, did I mention we were at a Motorcycle show!

The only thing that was worth it was meeting Les Clarke of dualsportplus.com, very knowledgeable.

Really these shows should be free. Afterall, the companies want you to see their product, and ideally buy.
    Imagine if a car dealership charged you to come in and have a look.

I guess it is convenient that every brand (almost) is in one place, but $18 a ticket is getting a little much.

That's too funny! Sorry about your luck though.

I share the same feelings as the majority... "no big deal". I didn't find any good deals (looked for some gear, oil and tires) but did have some fun sitting on various models of SS bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by 08 BlueStreak View Post
    I bought some beef jerky and some summer sausage from one of them and when i got home it said best before Dec 18 2008.

We got there about 10ish, drove around the building to gate 5 where there was lots of parking. 2 entrances... human nature means they all pile up at the closest door.
    I got spare gloves for $20, a great out of print book for $44 and a hug from a saleslady for being polite (priceless). My brother got saddle bags for his ugly assed cruiser for $100 taxes in. Thats a deal.
    Bike prices seemed way down, lucky if your a buyer.
    My goal was to be amused for a few hours and see something interesting and i did.
    Big burley dudes with white hair and beards sporting colors from Santa's Choice made me giggle, and crack skinny leather skirted chicks in thier 50's have a special place in my heart.

lower your expectations folks.

The high point for me was seeing a 6 foot 5 inch woman wearing Amazon Rider's colors.

Giddyup....
    Last edited by tooCanad; 01-02-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    There was a Suzuki Bandit 1250 SAE (the one with all the bags) normally listing for $11,999 and I saw it for as low as $9850! .
    $9850...?

Fair deal I guess...
    I paid just $100 more than that back in March of '08 for my new Bandit 1250 SAE

I'm surprised y'don't see more of 'em on the road... Lots of bike for the money...

That show was the worst I've ever been to. The only thing I picked up there was a GTAM t-shirt. We got stuck after we turned into the parking lot, took 30 mins to get out of there and go somewhere parking was actually available. Didn't really find any great deals on gear either. I did notice GP bikes had the battery tenders on "SALE" for $79 when the sale price on the in store label actually read $69.

yeah GP bikes prices were cold. they had thier gmax helmets on "sale" for $152+Tax. Royal's regular price on these helmets it's $149. There was another booth there selling some as closeouts for $100.

overall it was a big overpriced flea market with a lot of poor quality products being sold by people who have nothing to do with the biking community.

Passed away a few hours in the dead of winter. Was some good custom bikes there and met some nice folk. Deals are few and far between and the bike prices were, IMO, nothing special.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14