Super Bike slicks on a 600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Bike slicks on a 600

Super Bike slicks on a 600

Any thoughts or experience running a 190/70 slick in place of a 180/50...

Thanx!
    2008 DUCATI 848

Re: Super Bike slicks on a 600

You'll need to re-do your suspension first off,, the handling may change pending the profile of the tire.

might not fit

you can always try it and see how it goes.
    here's a 200/70
    Last edited by mobius; 01-24-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 219R6 View Post
    Any thoughts or experience running a 190/70 slick in place of a 180/50...

Thanx!

I've got a non-ntec dunlop 195/70 slick on a 6" 929 rim right now. Only problem I had is that the tire will grow about 11mm, so I had to drop a couple teeth at the rear to get my chain to fit properly. I've got to pull back that wheel.

It'll fit. Same time I picked up my slicks, another guy was there picking up a set for his R6; he said he'd run them before.

is it a 6" or 5.5" rim on a 600?
    2008 DUCATI 848

Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    you can always try it and see how it goes.
    here's a 200/70
    is that a 10 or a 6?
    2008 DUCATI 848

is that a 10 or a 6?
    it's a 6

is it a 6" or 5.5" rim on a 600?

it was the standard 5.5" rim on his R6.

You'll be fine.

Why not put a 180 slick on?
    www.89racing.com
    MotoDen/MW-Toronto, Accelerated Technologies, Clarington Cycle, Peterborough PowerSports, Galfer, Hindle

Quote Originally Posted by wmcphee89 View Post
    Why not put a 180 slick on?
    I found SB slicks for $250 brand new...
    2008 DUCATI 848

I found SB slicks for $250 brand new...
    It would work but it throws off your geometry and you will not like it! Unless your running this setup full time and your using that tire full time then go for it, set your bike up to run it
    www.89racing.com
    MotoDen/MW-Toronto, Accelerated Technologies, Clarington Cycle, Peterborough PowerSports, Galfer, Hindle

AND if you plan on racing the weapon you better check with the organizer to see what classes you can use that conversion in, I would assume only in superbike classes, I'm almost sure its not 600 legal in most cases
    www.89racing.com

Slicks are definitely not legal in a 600 class at RACE or the Canadian nationals.

are they legal in SOAR. i remember reading any tire is fine.

another problem is the tire itself, you'll probably end up going slower with such a large, heavy tire.

It'll also make the bike turn like a schoolbus.

Those 190 dunlops were designed for the 6in and 6.25 rear wheels run on superbikes in the AMA that were making 200+hp

Your best place for advice would be Pro6 Cycle.

They're the tire vendor and know more about that piece of equipment than anyone else.

If they tell you you'll be alright, I'd say your safe, unless Jim Allen decides to start posting here.

The tire is awesome on a 600. We wouldn't have told you that if they would not work on your machine. The last thing we want to do is sell you the wrong tire for your bike and have a customer upset.
    We ran them on our 08 R6 all season and have dozens and dozens of our trackday riders on every brand and year of 600 with this slick on who rave about them. AMA used this exact tire in FormulaX in 2006 and 2007 on 600's with stock wheels (5.5 rims).
    That being said, this tire is by far the best bang for the buck
    They use to retail for $570 a set and now we sell them for $250. They are NOT 'old' - all late 2005 and 2006 production dates and as tires have a shelf life of 5 years, and as they have spent they're life in proper storage at Dunlop USA and now with us ,they are good until the end of the 2010 season. The only reason for this price drop is that they are discontinued, beign replaced by the NTec's, and we scooped up what they had left.
    You will go on average anywhere from 2-8 days a set, 2 days being if you are a fast red group rider at our days.
    Yes the tire is a bit bigger than what is stock on a 600 but all you have to do is make sure you have 10-12mm clearance at the front on the swingarm for growth and you are good to go. DO NOT worry about any suspension changes until you ride it first. Chances are you won't have to change anything (we didn't change a thing on the R6 this year!) you may have to raise the front or lower the rear but if anything everyone LOVED the way it turned in QUICKER than the 180 (as its taller...)
    So, hope that helps. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to call the shop at 416-231-8829.

Sandy and Sheena

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Your best place for advice would be Pro6 Cycle.
    WTF??? You mean this forum isnt the best place for advice??? lol
    RIDE LIKE YOU WANNA LEARN

I would take MaSheena's response as the right one if you are talking about track days. For racing ... check rulebook as to legality of slicks in the class you want to run.

Yeah, we watched people run them on 600's and 1000's all season with Pro6. I ran them myself on my R1. They are great tires. I was getting 4 trackdays on the rear. I bought two more sets to use next year.

What everyone says is correct, it will change your setup (if you care), they are definitely heavier, they do steer slower. But unless you are running fantastic times, and are super quick (which judging from the original question I am guessing not) they are very confidence inspiring and will last a long time on a 600. They are a great tire for mid pack track junkie like most of us are.