Quote Originally Posted by GSXMAER View Post
    THE PLATING HOUSE
    116 Viceroy Road
    Building C, Unit 1
    Toronto (concord) L4K 2L8
    416-661-3964

I've put on and off 20 tires on the Busa's back rim...over 5 years
    not 1 problem EVER with the chrome........their the BEST
    and only need to wash them every 700 to 1000 klms...dirt dont stick!!
    I just called:

The "ball park" quote for regular chrome (they do not do black chrome) is $700 - $800 per rim.

This is not in my snack bracket for chrome plating stock wheels.

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Re: Black Chrome

Um yeah...that sounds a little high.

Have you checked on eBay. I'm sure I've seen a listing there for 14's. I think they're an exchange. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrom...Q5fAccessories

I wanted to keep the business on the north side of the border. But for the price difference it may be necessary to get from the USA.

What is wrong with Canadian companies? Does it make any sense to have this type of 2.5 time price difference on this product? If anything a Canadian company should be very pleased to have the opportunity to have our business (especially when they can do it in there slow time as I am in no hurry to get these back).

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I wanted to keep the business on the north side of the border. But for the price difference it may be necessary to get from the USA.

What is wrong with Canadian companies? Does it make any sense to have this type of 2.5 time price difference on this product? If anything a Canadian company should be very pleased to have the opportunity to have our business (especially when they can do it in there slow time as I am in no hurry to get these back).
    I dont think you guys realize that before rims or any parts can be chrome plated, they have to be polished...Alot of the cost lies in the polishing of the rims or parts you want to have chromed......Its not just a matter of dipping them in a chrome tank...

Also the price will go up and down with the price of chopper, because anything aluminum has to be chopper plated before it can be chromed...Chrome will not stick to aluminum, but it will stick to copper and the aluminum can be copper plated...If you know anything about the price of chopper, you know that its at an all time high value right now..$3+ per pound for #1 brite....So anything to do with copper or that uses copper in a process, its also going to be at an all time high for cost right now...

Another factor that adds to the prices here in Canada, is our GOV and how strict they are getting for companies that use chemicals...The place I use in Brampton to chemical strip parts, has doubled their min charge in the last 1-1/2 years....Their water gets tested every week instead of every month or 2, and guess who has to pay for that? They are closing more and more of these companies down, and making the ones that stay open pay more and more money to operate...Soon enough we wont even have these places available locally...You cant open any business in Markham that isnt GREEN friendly, we were thinking of moving shop to Markham...And found out it costs almost double to setup a manfacturing business there because of the city by laws being so strict...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 12-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFrEnChGuY View Post
    Precision Platers (905) 845-7191
    520 Speers Oakville ON

I'm pretty sure they do decorative chrome jobs but not sure for Black chrome. I only plated industrial Hard chrome and that's where I sent guy's for deco job's when they called.

Hopefully they can help if not let me know and I can call a couple of my contacts. Dont bother with places like DC Chrome / Ontario Chrome / North American Hard chrome, they're all hard chrome shops for industrial parts.
    So if i want my forks hard chromed, which would you recommend?
    When you want something done in the worst way, that's usually the way it is implimented... in the worst way.

I understand economics and the process. Still does not justify the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I dont think you guys realize that before rims or any parts can be chrome plated, they have to be polished...Alot of the cost lies in the polishing of the rims or parts you want to have chromed......Its not just a matter of dipping them in a chrome tank...

Also the price will go up and down with the price of chopper, because anything aluminum has to be chopper plated before it can be chromed...Chrome will not stick to aluminum, but it will stick to copper and the aluminum can be copper plated...If you know anything about the price of chopper, you know that its at an all time high value right now..$3+ per pound for #1 brite....So anything to do with copper or that uses copper in a process, its also going to be at an all time high for cost right now...

Another factor that adds to the prices here in Canada, is our GOV and how strict they are getting for companies that use chemicals...The place I use in Brampton to chemical strip parts, has doubled their min charge in the last 1-1/2 years....Their water gets tested every week instead of every month or 2, and guess who has to pay for that? They are closing more and more of these companies down, and making the ones that stay open pay more and more money to operate...Soon enough we wont even have these places available locally...You cant open any business in Markham that isnt GREEN friendly, we were thinking of moving shop to Markham...And found out it costs almost double to setup a manfacturing business there because of the city by laws being so strict...

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Gregg have you seen these wheels?

No black chrome, but the aluminum wheels are priced right (cost of two wheel getting chromed) and you save some weight also.

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/m...lum%20zx14.htm

http://store.58cycle.com/product_p/m...mag%20zx14.htm

get em from the states...the one dealer on ebay that does the exchange plus $500. also does black chrome....still cheaper then getting them done here!

Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I understand economics and the process. Still does not justify the price.

this is the seller that does black chrome aswell!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

liquified56

Your not going to find black chrome for cheap.. i work for a world class chrome finishing company and its actually pretty rare to find a company that does both decorative chrome and Black electroplating (most car and bike parts are actually electroplated black not actual black chrome). If you have chrome parts that you would like to have "black chromed" they dont have to be stripped or have the chrome removed its just an overlay process after the fact. And the reasons for chroming costs being so high is due to the process... and how many hours of plating buffing and replating (copper, nickel, then chrome) it takes to get a mirror product.

gone_rippin

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    was at a car event and these are by far the coolest rims i have ever seen on a car. they are interesting.

there is a car in holland landing that has rims like this. but it's the whole rim not just the lip. the chameleon looks awesome.

^^ those wheels are burnt titanium and SUPER rare, there is a company that just started offering black chroming but they are in the states WWW.RBCHROMING.COM