Safety Wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Wire.

Safety Wire.

Do you have Jigs? or drill presses?

Any tips? good sites? im just learning the techniques, but i find it new and challenging at this point, as i've never safety wired before. But i have to say the safety wire pliers are neat.

Im just experimenting with spare bolts i have, and practicing before I do my bike.

Also if you have pictures of your own bikes, or neat stuff you've done with safety wire could you post those pictures.

I've seen one bike with plastic tubing used between the wire, how does that work? and how do you safety wire the swingarms E pin?

Re: Safety Wire.

Anyone know who/where stocks the wire twisters and wire?And a good one twister? I like spending a little extra on a good tool....Dont really want to order one, prefer to just go to a shop on payday and buy one for that instant satisfaction

Last spool of 028" wire came from Sturgess.Tyler should be able to help you.I picked up a spool of 025" at the Paris CVMG rally last summer for $10. I should be good for a while now. I use the PA cheapo pliers.After a bit of twisting and grinding,they work perfectly.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Anyone know who/where stocks the wire twisters and wire?And a good one twister? I like spending a little extra on a good tool....Dont really want to order one, prefer to just go to a shop on payday and buy one for that instant satisfaction
    princess auto has a decent tool for 9.99 now. its spring loaded. its a simple tool.

wire around mississauga/brampton? I am looking as well.

how do you safety wire your R clip (clip that holds the swing arm nut) to your swing arm?

i've been trying, but its all messey.

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    princess auto has a decent tool for 9.99 now. its spring loaded. its a simple tool.

wire around mississauga/brampton? I am looking as well.
    Thanks but no thanks, being a tool I plan on using alot...I dont want it to be a Princess auto tool...Rather spend close to $100 on a good tool, just dont know anywhere that stocks them...And Im not feeling like waiting 2 weeks for a blue point or Klien one from Ebay..

Also when I went to PA to look at them, they had none...Dude said yeah their over there in that section, and it was a pile of junk with no pliers to be found anywhere...That store just pisses me off...Since my freind left as the store manager at the Miss location, the place has gone down the shitter...

Thanks but no thanks, being a tool I plan on using alot...I dont want it to be a Princess auto tool...Rather spend close to $100 on a good tool, just dont know anywhere that stocks them...And Im not feeling like waiting 2 weeks for a blue point or Klien one from Ebay..

Also when I went to PA to look at them, they had none...Dude said yeah their over there in that section, and it was a pile of junk with no pliers to be found anywhere...That store just pisses me off...Since my freind left as the store manager at the Miss location, the place has gone down the shitter...
    maybe royal has some?

PA they have them, its by the plumbing/surplus section.. Your right, its not the greatest tool, but there are some guys who have been using theirs for 20 odd years.

$100 safety wire pliers? I want to see a picture. id be scared to use them just cuz they'd be so exotic/expensive.

maybe royal has some?

PA they have them, its by the plumbing/surplus section.. Your right, its not the greatest tool, but there are some guys who have been using theirs for 20 odd years.

$100 safety wire pliers? I want to see a picture. id be scared to use them just cuz they'd be so exotic/expensive.
    They look the same as any no name brand, but if your a professional mechanic you learn the difference between a quality brand name (Snap on, Mac, blue point) tool....

Im sure for $10 you can get one that works, I just prefer higher end stuff, for the bike and for working on the bike....Not sockets and stuff like that, but Ive got a Snapon torque wrench and a good chain breaker/rivit tool...Some things I'll skimp but for this I want something nice...

This is a blue point one, they sell used on Ebay for around $60-90 and retail new for $104US....So being a quality brand name tool it holds its value

Any tool supplier will have better quality than Princess Auto. The Princess Auto ones are crap. Try Snap-On or KBC tools.

The smart money would buy them at Leaven's Aircraft on Derry.

Oh...and Leavens sell a lb of SS wire for $12.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    Any tool supplier will have better quality than Princess Auto. The Princess Auto ones are crap. Try Snap-On or KBC tools.

The smart money would buy them at Leaven's Aircraft on Derry.

Oh...and Leavens sell a lb of SS wire for $12.
    First thing I did was flip through my KBC catalog, but no luck

Snap-on or Mac doesnt come to my shop, and they closed the store at Sherway, which sucks!

Do you have an exact address for that Leavens place?

Snap-on or Mac doesnt come to my shop, and they closed the store at Sherway, which sucks!

snap-on does have a nice safety wire plier. I believe it's about 130 bucks for one, and like all snap-on tools comes with a life time warranty.
    life's not short, it's just that you're dead for so long
    www.goloracing.com

The pliers i am using i got from Sturgess, i forget who makes them but they're out of the motovan catalog. I've used the PA pliers and they're garbage, the pliers i have now are a big step up and they were only $40 or so.

Any bike shop should be able to get them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    The pliers i am using i got from Sturgess, i forget who makes them but they're out of the motovan catalog. I've used the PA pliers and they're garbage, the pliers i have now are a big step up and they were only $40 or so.

Any bike shop should be able to get them for you.
    Yeah Ive seen some decent ones at certain bike shops, I think I remember Pro6 having one in their display case...I was just hoping maybe someone knew where they had a set in stock, that I could just go in and buy...

Yeah Ive seen some decent ones at certain bike shops, I think I remember Pro6 having one in their display case...I was just hoping maybe someone knew where they had a set in stock, that I could just go in and buy...
    Likely the same set i have. Sturgess usually has them in stock. They had two pairs when i went and got mine. I just gave a 2nd set to a friend of mine, too bad i didnt know you were looking sooner. All it would cost you is an "I *heart* caboose" sticker on your bike. ahahaha.

I Picked up a pair of Grey safety wire pliers at CISCO on Dixie for approx $130 and picked up stainless wire at Leavens which is on Derry a little east of Dixie.

Quote Originally Posted by sircastic View Post
    I Picked up a pair of Grey safety wire pliers at CISCO on Dixie for approx $130 and picked up stainless wire at Leavens which is on Derry a little east of Dixie.
    Where they instock? And do you happen to have a part # or anything....Thats not even 5 min away from me, and if its the Grey tool company Im thinking of Ive had good experience with their tools..

Do you have Jigs? or drill presses?

Any tips? good sites? im just learning the techniques, but i find it new and challenging at this point, as i've never safety wired before. But i have to say the safety wire pliers are neat.

Im just experimenting with spare bolts i have, and practicing before I do my bike.

Also if you have pictures of your own bikes, or neat stuff you've done with safety wire could you post those pictures.

I've seen one bike with plastic tubing used between the wire, how does that work? and how do you safety wire the swingarms E pin?

i just learned how to do this recently. if you use a bench-vice with some aluminum sheets so it doesn't damage the bolt threads. Torque all the bolts when they are on the bike, and mark them (paint) so that you aren't way off when connecting them to each other with the wire.
    When actually drilling, i've found that using a cordless drill at very low speeds is best. Let the drill do the work, don't push too hard or you'll over heat the bit, and more than likely snap it at the worst time.
    I actually enjoy doing it now, but when i tried it the first time....

Where they instock? And do you happen to have a part # or anything....Thats not even 5 min away from me, and if its the Grey tool company Im thinking of Ive had good experience with their tools..
    They had them in stock behind the counter in the pliers section .... just look at the board when you get there. Yep ... its Grey the industrial tool company. Good quality tools.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

Does anyone know who might carry stainless safety wire around the Barrie Area ?