Battery tender problem

Thread: Battery tender problem

Battery tender problem

I bought a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. from GP Bikes. My bike (2005 Katana 600) is also from GP, and they put battery tender leads on their bikes. When I got the tender home I connected it to the tender lead on the bike, and then plugged it in. According to the instructions that come with it, it's supposed to show a steady red light when charging, flash green when nearing full charge, and steady green when fully charged. However, it only flashes red, which the instructions say means an improper connection or very low battery voltage. I know the battery isn't dead because the bike starts. The leads should be working too, because I know they charged the bike up before I bought it. I called GP and they said to bring the tender in and they'd check it out. The problem is I'm in Etobicoke and they're in Ajax. Is there a way I can check if the tender is working myself?

Re: Battery tender problem

Connections may be reversed on the battery. Make sure the connectors are on the corrrect battery posts.
    2007 Suzuki M109
    1985 Suzuki GSX550F
    2004 Honda Aero 750

Check the connections first ..

If everything is good, than leave it plugged in overnight and see what its flashing in the morning.

IF it is still red, than your battery is possibly done or the tender is defective.
    It should be a steady green by morning time .. or flashing green indicates its at 80% of its charge.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

RTFM * copied form website.

STATUS INDICATOR LIGHTS: The following describes the operation of the status indicator lights:

RED FLASHING - When the red light is flashing, the AC power is applied to the charger & the microprocessor circuitry is functioning properly, but the DC output cables are not connected correctly.
    RED - When the red light is on, the battery charger is in the process of fully charging the battery. In order to properly charge large capacity batteries, the charger may remain in this mode for several hours or even days.
    GREEN FLASHING - When the green light is flashing, and the red light is on, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed from the charger and used if necessary. Leave the battery on charge until the green light is solid whenever possible. Once the green light begins to flash, it will remain flashing until either the battery charger output current drops below 0.1 amp, or until 6 to 8 hours has elapsed.
    GREEN - When the green light is lit, the battery charger is in the storage mode of charge. In this mode the charger will maintain the battery at full charge.
    Step 1) Initialization: Red Light On or Red Light Flashing: Monitor Circuit verifies appropriate battery voltage levels and good electrical continuity between the battery and the charger DC output.
    Step 2) Bulk Charge: Red Light On, Green Light Off: Constant Current at Full Power. Bulk Charge ends at approximately 75% to 80% of full battery recharge.
    Step 3) Absorption Charge: Red Light On, Green Light Flashing: Constant Voltage at Absorption Level. This conditions the battery for optimum performance. Absorption charge ends when the battery charging current drops below the optimum recharge threshold or theabsorption timer expires.
    Step 4) Float Charge: Red Light Off, Green Light On. Constant Voltage at Float / Maintenance level. Keeps battery fully charged and maintains high specific gravity. Full charge reset monitor protects battery against excessive appliance current draw while charging. Float charge continues indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by mydaddy View Post
    RTFM * copied form website.

but he did "Read The Free Manual"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndderivative View Post
    According to the instructions that come with it, ...

Quote Originally Posted by squid pro quo View Post
    but he did "Read The Free Manual"
    Did we try switching the leads? YMKN.

Hey guys, figured it out. The fuse on the cable was blown. Just swapped it with one that came with the tender, and the red light came on nice and steady. Should be some form of green by the morning. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndderivative View Post
    Hey guys, figured it out. The fuse on the cable was blown. Just swapped it with one that came with the tender, and the red light came on nice and steady. Should be some form of green by the morning. Thanks for your help!
    Now aren't you wondering what caused the fuse to blow?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Not me I was wondering where this other mystery cable came from.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I have a pretty good idea of what happened. I didn't RTFM closely enough the first time I used the tender, and plugged it into the outlet before I connected the leads. After finding the blown fuse I went back to the manual, and sure enough, it says to connect the leads before plugging it in. There's two lessons learned.

The tender comes with two cables (one with rings and one with alligator clips), each of which has an inline fuse. Since I wasn't going to use either of them (the bike came with leads attached), I helped myself to the fuse.