Can I cross over to the US border with just a drivers license by car? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I cross over to the US border with just a drivers license by car?

Re: Can I cross over to the US border with just a drivers license by car?

1) When crossing by Niagara Falls do you still have to pay the toll charges if you get turned back?
    2) If you are able to cross the border with a license will the Canadian officer let you back in with just a license?
    Last edited by rizvi; 12-01-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com

you can cross without a passport until 09 just not sure when in 09 is all.

Quote Originally Posted by rizvi View Post
    2) If you are able to cross the border with a license will the Canadian officer let you back in with just a license?
    I saw a pile of skeletons on the bridge, I think those where people who got trapped there because nether US nor Canadian officials would let them in.
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov.on.ca
    From the Gov.on.ca website:

8. How much will the enhanced driver’s licence cost?

It is anticipated that the fee for an enhanced driver’s licences will be $40 for a five-year-term (on top of existing $75 fee for current driver’s licence fee). This fee will be confirmed prior to implementation.
    So they are passing some of the cost of the new system to us.

If a Citizen already forked the money for a passport, why would s/he be willing to pay more for the "enhanced driver's license" ??? I hope the make it optional - otherwise it is going to be double-billing for the same damn thing
    Security transcends technology

I'm sure it's been said here already but yes 100% you can cross over with just a drivers licence and birth certificate.. if you try just the licence they may give you a hard time.. I've crossed the border a million times this year but I have a passport, but when the woman comes with me, she only has the licence/BC

my buddy was able to cross into the US one time with only his D/L, but was almost denied entry back into Canada on our way back. you need to be able to show your citizenship and a DL doesn't do that.

most of the time when I'm coming back into Canada I don't even need to show my passport (but I always have it or my BC and DL with me)

I thought you have until June 2009 to be able to use your DL and BC, after that it's passport or the new DL for entry to the US.

Security measures are beefed up!

Be sure to bring your passport or birth certificate accompanied with your driver's license.

I made it past on just my driver's license, but had my car tossed by 4 BSOs and they will take their time.
    Mystique
    It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by tiborgh View Post
    i saw a pile of skeletons on the bridge, i think those where people who got trapped there because nether us nor canadian officials would let them in.
    love it!!!!

Up until May 31, 2009, Canadian citizens entering the United States by land or water may use a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence, PLUS a birth certificate or a Canadian citizenship card.
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/doc-eng.html

That is if you are travelling in a personal car.. if you are in a company vehicle.. or a commercial vehicle like a Motor Coach... then be prepared for almost anything, apparently there is some warnings that an attack is planned from Canada using a Bus, or a small truck...