street legal supermoto which bike?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: street legal supermoto which bike?

Unhappy street legal supermoto which bike?

help
    im looking to get a street legal SM but cant decide on a bike
    im deciding between:

aprilla 550svx($$)
    husqvarna 610(does anyone know a canadian dealer/ legal?)
    DRZ400sm(carbed and low on power)

any others i should consider? i prefer somthing thats lower maintance like the drz but still has FI and is under 650cc

Re: street legal supermoto which bike?

The new Yamaha WRX250 is about the same power as the DRZ but uses FI.

The aprillia's are great fun, but require maintenance as do the husky's.

Don't forget KTM and Yamaha.

Nites

The 2009 Kawi klx 250 SF, I'm told will be about $5800 and gets 85 mpg.

The real question is can a person buy any of the listed bikes and manage to ride it like an adult...As apposed to a 15 year old that just discovered wheelies and stoppies.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC View Post
    The real question is can a person buy any of the listed bikes and manage to ride it like an adult...As apposed to a 15 year old that just discovered wheelies and stoppies.
    NO it cant be done

The DRZ is a fun bike but it is a little heavy and low on power. You can get more power by doing the common mods. (3x3, fcr, exhaust.)

From what I've read a wrx wont catch a Drz in a straight line but it is apparently around 20-25lbs lighter and more flickable. I wouldn't go for the wrx just because I think I'm too heavy for it.

It all depends what you are looking for. If you want a low-maintenance/easy to work on/fun bike to mess around with the drz fits the bill. I've done everything from chasing sportbikes in the twisties to chasing dirtbikes on singletrack and it has served me quite well. But if you are a track junkie I'd look into other options.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

i was kinda staying away from the 250's but i guess ill have to take one out for a spin and try it out. im just worried about the 250 for longer trips and the occasional hwy riding i do.

I don't think either one is suited for longer trips. That being said, I have done 600km+ days on mine at highway speeds. A bit buzzy and my butt didn't like me but the bike had no troubles.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

I thought the DRZ would be more interesting with the extra displacement?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post

I was thinking about buying one from Envy Rides, but they tell me the first service is already after the first 100km or something crazy like that...And it doesnt get better after that, its a very tight service schedule...

Still the best road ready package Ive seen IMO

What a KTM?

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I thought the DRZ would be more interesting with the extra displacement?
    The DRZ puts out more torque and a few more hp, but is heavier. I think I would go with the DRZ
    CB750F, R6, XR250, CR80, CRF50

the DRZ also lends itself to modification a bit better.

the best mod you can do is to throw the CV carb in the lake and grab a 39mm FCR, this mod REALLY wakes the bike up and makes it feel like it has some decent power delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I was thinking about buying one from Envy Rides, but they tell me the first service is already after the first 100km or something crazy like that...And it doesnt get better after that, its a very tight service schedule...

Still the best road ready package Ive seen IMO

What a KTM?
    I will say that Envy had no clue, or let say the person you spoke to had no clue (perhaps they mixed it up with WR250F which a lot of dealers do ... the X is still very new). WR250X is the opposite, based on the reports from users who have the bike. Also a detailed review I have in front of me suggests quite quick times and inexpensive standard maintenance cost (for example it's half of what SXV 5.5 is; I know, two cylinders different ball game ... just for a comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by weeler2 View Post
    husqvarna 610(does anyone know a canadian dealer/ legal?)
    I got my te450 from Ross Rocher Sales in Stratford (about 1 hour from Mississauga). great people to work with, if you are looking for husky info give them a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    I will say that Envy had no clue, or let say the person you spoke to had no clue (perhaps they mixed it up with WR250F which a lot of dealers do ... the X is still very new). WR250X is the opposite, based on the reports from users who have the bike. Also a detailed review I have in front of me suggests quite quick times and inexpensive standard maintenance cost (for example it's half of what SXV 5.5 is; I know, two cylinders different ball game ... just for a comparison)
    Johnny is refering to the SXV....
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    I should have put the two together ... thanks.

Does Suzuki still offer the DRZ engine upgrades. It's now a few years ago but the old Milton Motorsports would do the upgrade and include the upgrade in the, out the door price. I don't remember the specifics but I think it was carb, cam, exhaust and thin gasket (head or base I can't remember). I'm told that the DRZ make good SM engines because they will rev WFO for extended periods without wanting to grenade.

I did see a guy go through Deal's Gap extremely quick on a DRZ.

But seriously how are you going to be anything but a complete ********* in town traffic on a SM.

If I can ever get a SM brake system sorted out I might get my CRF on a short track next season.

Oh...If I was going to spend extended time on any MX seat I'd invest in some bycycle shorts or some form of extra padding. Dirtbike seats are not for sitting on.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Yup it was the 550 SXV I was looking at...And Id think the manager there would know the correct service info.....He said thats one of the reasons people shy away from it and go for the DRZ. The Aprilla is basically a race bike thats been put on the street, more of a race bike then the DRZ thats for sure..Just look at them side by side....

Quote Originally Posted by BBC View Post
    Does Suzuki still offer the DRZ engine upgrades. It's now a few years ago but the old Milton Motorsports would do the upgrade and include the upgrade in the, out the door price. I don't remember the specifics but I think it was carb, cam, exhaust and thin gasket (head or base I can't remember). I'm told that the DRZ make good SM engines because they will rev WFO for extended periods without wanting to grenade.

I did see a guy go through Deal's Gap extremely quick on a DRZ.
    It is quite an upgrade machine. Carb's, cams, Exhaust system, Base gasket (E model), bore kit, 3X3 mod, and more can be done to these bikes to get extra ponies - All the while staying bomb proof.

Nites

Quote Originally Posted by NiteshadeTA View Post
    It is quite an upgrade machine. Carb's, cams, Exhaust system, Base gasket (E model), bore kit, 3X3 mod, and more can be done to these bikes to get extra ponies - All the while staying bomb proof.

Nites
    and with all that, they're still slow.