SOAR Rulebook and Documents

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOAR Rulebook and Documents

SOAR Rulebook and Documents

We have completed the rule book as well as some of the critical documents and forms.
    I have stored them online and made them available for download until our site is live.
    SOAR will be at both Toronto Motorcycle shows.

Here is the rulebook

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...e-8a449dcc4595

Here is the 2009 SOAR license application. Note if a license is purchased before Jan 5/09 racer will receive a free practice.

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...8-f04971ebd144

Here is the 2009 SOAR race school application. Note there is a school every Friday before an event.

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...1-cea5b7baf847

Here is the On-Track program. It’s the track day segment of SOAR. There is a limited track day session incorporated into our Friday practice day. This is geared towards anyone teetering on the edge of racing. It allows the track day enthusiast to become part of the race weekend. Come do the track day, stay and enjoy the races. There will be a series of professional/expert licensed racers on had instructing the school that will be available for some one on one mentoring. This is a very limited session when it’s full it’s full. Buy all five days and save.

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...4-c73616c59230

Re: SOAR Rulebook and Documents

Quickie question/suggestion, Triumph 675 triple allowed in 600 Extreme?? (Doesn't qualify as it is written now, but to me it looks like it would slot in rather nicely)

Vintage class looks good to me.

Not a bad rule book. Pretty compact and covers a fair bit.

Only a few things I could see issues with.

1) Soar expects every single rider to buy their license?
    There is no mention of recognizing other sanctioning bodies licenses (ie. RACE). Even PMP only requires a RACE license (PMP does not have nor enforce their own), which is good for all rounds, regardless of which racing body is holding the event. What about other series licenses?

2) License forms does not have bike # request or preference. As acknowledged already, many racers may or will be existing racers. Does Soar expect them to re-number their bikes for SOAR events and then back to RACE and PMP events? This is where a RACE license standard may be beneficial as only 1 license body has to keep track of who's who and bike numbers.

3) No requirement for Back protectors. Only an "encouragement". On a track with known and presented safety issues, for which no major correction has been made, one would think a back protector would be mandatory at Cayuga.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Quickie question/suggestion, Triumph 675 triple allowed in 600 Extreme?? (Doesn't qualify as it is written now, but to me it looks like it would slot in rather nicely)

Vintage class looks good to me.
    Thanks Brian.
    Thats a good idea. Does anyone race one?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Not a bad rule book. Pretty compact and covers a fair bit.

Only a few things I could see issues with.

1) Soar expects every single rider to buy their license?
    There is no mention of recognizing other sanctioning bodies licenses (ie. RACE). Even PMP only requires a RACE license (PMP does not have nor enforce their own), which is good for all rounds, regardless of which racing body is holding the event. What about other series licenses?

2) License forms does not have bike # request or preference. As acknowledged already, many racers may or will be existing racers. Does Soar expect them to re-number their bikes for SOAR events and then back to RACE and PMP events? This is where a RACE license standard may be beneficial as only 1 license body has to keep track of who's who and bike numbers.

3) No requirement for Back protectors. Only an "encouragement". On a track with known and presented safety issues, for which no major correction has been made, one would think a back protector would be mandatory at Cayuga.

#1 Yes SOAR has our own license. RACE has nothing to do with SOAR. PMP and RACE have whatever arangement they have I have no control over that. Its no different than any other organization. If you race WERA, CCS, AFM, AMA, LRRS etc all have their own licence. I realize that you are only starting however you will see every organization has their own licence. If you race four different orgs you need four different licenses. Just the way it is. If RACE wants to share license revenue and/or insurance costs then we can talk. But seeing as I cant even get them to share a schedule , good luck with that.

#2 If your worried about your number then I suggest registering early to get it. Again read #1 this is the way EVERY org works. If a rider wants to race with SOAR they will need to run our number. No different than me I have beed #88 with RACE for years and when I race WERA to AMA I have to switch numbers. I suspect most people will get their own number anyway. We have a huge contingent coming from the US should they not have equal shot at thier number?

#3 I am not a the backprotector police. If you want to wear one then wear one I dont need to legislate it. I assume racers will wear what they are comfortable with.

ken, ive sent you two pm's over the time regarding questions about my bike, both times you said it would be fine but the rules say i cant run so can you clarify.

Q1. you say in the rules stock bodywork must be used.
    i have an sv with 916 bodywork and r6 tail, you said that would be fine in the pm, but it does not appear so. i hope so because ive already bought track bodywork for it at great expense. in your signature the bike looks like an sv with gsxr bodyork.

Q2. oil catch tray that can hold 4 litres.
    i asked you in pm if standard side fairings that come together at bottom instead of a standard one piece oil pan would be okay, you said it would, but the rules say otherwise.

Q3. numbers
    it says in the rules, numbers have to read from the side.
    lots of cbr 1000rr's have the numbers on the top of the tail.

maybe im misunderstanding the rulebook but i think this has to be explained better.

and what class would the sv650 run in, looks like BOTT but not sure.

thanks
    geoff

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    ken, ive sent you two pm's over the time regarding questions about my bike, both times you said it would be fine but the rules say i cant run so can you clarify.

Q1. you say in the rules stock bodywork must be used.
    i have an sv with 916 bodywork and r6 tail, you said that would be fine in the pm, but it does not appear so. i hope so because ive already bought track bodywork for it at great expense. in your signature the bike looks like an sv with gsxr bodyork.

Q2. oil catch tray that can hold 4 litres.
    i asked you in pm if standard side fairings that come together at bottom instead of a standard one piece oil pan would be okay, you said it would, but the rules say otherwise.

Q3. numbers
    it says in the rules, numbers have to read from the side.
    lots of cbr 1000rr's have the numbers on the top of the tail.

maybe im misunderstanding the rulebook but i think this has to be explained better.

and what class would the sv650 run in, looks like BOTT but not sure.

thanks
    geoff
    Sorry Geoff you are right. The stock bodywork rule is a mistake in BOTT. You are fine and I will amend. As for oil catch pan. A fairing that comes together is fine as long as its dammed at the rear and sealed. The idea is to catch an oil spill. You could even take stock bodywork and line it with a turkey pan and be ok. As long as the numbers are readable from the side we are ok. if the bodywork doesnt lend itself to side numbers we have to do the best we can. It is covered by 13(v)6, maybe just needs to be a little clearer.
    SV would be BOTT as main class.

I appologize for small errors in the rulebook. Its my first one and if you have ever tried to write one from scratch its a daunting task. I sent it to a half dozen people for a proof read before releasing it but I suspect there is a few places that will have to be tweaked. Bare with me and I will make it right. We will not be turning people away fo small problems. Our goal has always been inclusion and fun so we wont be rule crazy.

thanks, thats great news, i also like how sv's can use aftermarket forks. which they cant in SV cup.

also, maybe im missing it, but whats the cost of essentially one weekend for rookie in BOTT class only. you've put the price for fridays practice, but does that include the race also.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    thanks, thats great news, i also like how sv's can use aftermarket forks. which they cant in SV cup.

also, maybe im missing it, but whats the cost of essentially one weekend for rookie in BOTT class only. you've put the price for fridays practice, but does that include the race also.

thanks
    Changes made.

Costs will be

Friday practice $100
    First Class $100
    Second Class $75
    Third Class $50
    Fouth + Class $25
    School $150
    Ontrack $125 each or all five for $500
    Endurance will be $75/hour per team

Each entry will include gate entry for weekend. You will get practice Saturday and Sunday a qualifier race Saturday and a final on Sunday. We also have an arrangement with TMP for the July weekend to include a drag tech card if you so choose.
    The July round will be a blast its an all bike weekend with all bike drags and roadraces. I would like to involve the OEMs with the ride trailers, maybe a stunt show, maybe a vintage concourse etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    As for oil catch pan. A fairing that comes together is fine as long as its dammed at the rear and sealed. The idea is to catch an oil spill. You could even take stock bodywork and line it with a turkey pan and be ok.

I appologize for small errors in the rulebook. Its my first one and if you have ever tried to write one from scratch its a daunting task.
    Thank you for the clarification regarding the oil catch pan. This is the first thing I checked the rulebook for.

Good work so far Ken, I don't know how you do it all... busy guy!!

Thanks Brian.
    Thats a good idea. Does anyone race one?
    The 675 should be allowed to run with the 600's! I also think you should allow the 636 to run in the 600 class...

Quote Originally Posted by raginduck View Post
    The 675 should be allowed to run with the 600's! I also think you should allow the 636 to run in the 600 class...

Its already been changed
    Just an oversight on my part.

Its already been changed
    Just an oversight on my part.
    You are allowing the 636 to run with 600's?

Last edited by meme; 11-24-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot

I can understand the 675.... but the 636? Not apples to apples.....

Nites

Quote Originally Posted by raginduck View Post
    You are allowing the 636 to run with 600's?
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteshadeTA View Post

Nites
    Yes we are.
    If you look at a 600 with a 1mm overbore its pretty much there anyway. I seriously doubt someone is going to buy a 636 and build it into a mini superbike just to win a tophy with SOAR seeing as most other orgs dont allow it. The thought is why not allow the casual racer that already owns one to race?

Quote Originally Posted by NiteshadeTA View Post

Nites
    quit your complaining, go look at the Regional classes at shannonville over the past 10 years, do you have any idea how many GSXR750 powered GSXR600's there have been.

At this level, motor isn't everything.

Ken what's the school gonna be like? Is it something that you take once to aid in getting your license or is this an advance riders technique kinda thing like FAST or Arc? Would it always be the same content or will their be a continuous progression through the program?
    SOAR Novice #113

Looking at the school application. There is no number request on it, but there is a spot to pay for the lisence. When would you request your number after the school, even if you plan to race the next day?

Yes we are.
    If you look at a 600 with a 1mm overbore its pretty much there anyway. I seriously doubt someone is going to buy a 636 and build it into a mini superbike just to win a tophy with SOAR seeing as most other orgs dont allow it. The thought is why not allow the casual racer that already owns one to race?
    Cool. I'm all for it. I don't see how anyone that will have a 636 to run will exploit the advantage of it's motor...

Now I can run my CBR636...