$$$$$$ Looking for someone in GTA to do a Wideglide Conversion on my Harley Davidson.

Thread: $$$$$$ Looking for someone in GTA to do a Wideglide Conversion on my Harley Davidson.

Question $$$$$$ Looking for someone in GTA to do a Wideglide Conversion on my Harley Davidson.

The picture below is what I want my Harley Davidson Dyna to look like after a wideglide conversion. This conversion will require someone who knows alot about Harleys in order to get the right parts off of eBay and to properly install them on my bike.

If anyone here is interested in taking this job, I would like to hear from them asap.

Please PM. Thanks.

Re: $$$$$$ Looking for someone in GTA to do a Wideglide Conversion on my Harley David

You may want to post on some of the Harley sites around. There are very few Harley guys on here. Sorry I dont work on Harleys and cant recommend any shops that do but maybe some on here may be able to help out.

Re: $$$$$$ Looking for someone in GTA to do a Wideglide Conversion on my Harley David

You could give the guys at Markham Custom Cycle a try.

http://www.markhamcustomcycle.com/mcc/
    There are some thing's better left unsaid, but you can bet your sweet a** I'm going to say them anyway.

Try Motor City Custom in Oshawa. A bit of a drive but Bill and Ron there are decent people and do good work.

Here is the link: http://www.motorcitycustom.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Rider View Post
    The picture below is what I want my Harley Davidson Dyna to look like after a wideglide conversion. This conversion will require someone who knows alot about Harleys in order to get the right parts off of eBay and to properly install them on my bike.

If anyone here is interested in taking this job, I would like to hear from them asap.

Please PM. Thanks.

total waste of money dont bother. sell it and buy want you want. i promise i have been down this road many times with all kinds of bikes including harleys and P.S that is a FL front end not a wide glide
    51 Panhead FL Chop, 2011 MV Agusta F4

Quote Originally Posted by sonnythebull View Post
    total waste of money dont bother. sell it and buy want you want. i promise i have been down this road many times with all kinds of bikes including harleys and P.S that is a FL front end not a wide glide
    Yup

I'm curious now. Can someone explain what exactly the conversion is? maybe a before and after?

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    I'm curious now. Can someone explain what exactly the conversion is? maybe a before and after?
    Dynas and Sportsters come with a narrow front end, and the fork tubes are 39mm.
    Wide glide is what a big twin harley has, obviously wider, fork tubes are larger.
    In this case, what Easy rider wants is a wider inverted front end like a fatboy.
    Instead of fork sliders riding on the bottom, they are incorporated into the top like many sportbikes.
    He wants a wider looking stance in the front and some added stability i assume.

Actually this is a Wideglide:

The forks are longer and hold a skinny 21" wheel for that classic chopper look. If you do want this there may be a difference in rake. Talk to a Harley mechanic.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Actually this is a Wideglide:

The forks are longer and hold a skinny 21" wheel for that classic chopper look. If you do want this there may be a difference in rake. Talk to a Harley mechanic.
    That front end will accept any wheel, 21, 19 or even a 130/90/16, same as rear.
    Rake must be considered as retro said, you must have the correct length fork tubes (shorter) in order to keep the rake angle correct.

The inverted front end from a fatboy will be the easiest conversion, i have seen many, it basically swaps straight over as the rake difference between fatboy, dyna is within 1deg i believe. Length therefore is correct, perhaps a small mod to the damper spacer.

If you really want the lowdown, go to Heavy Duty Cycles and talk to Tony or Donny, they will tell you exactly what your options are, slightly more expensive but definitely the best advice and work.

Thanks for the excellent feedback!

I've spoken to one of the shops mentioned here. They will only install parts that they have on the wall or in their book. For them and me, we diverge on economic points of view. So I'm looking for a shop or individual willing to take this project on so I can order the parts from ebay and have them installed.

BTW, why do some members think this project isn't worth undertaking? I calculated that the cost of the conversion is basically the cost in GST+PST taxes on another bike. I like my bike so I don't want to switch.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Easy_Rider; 11-19-2008 at 05:46 PM.

The only reason i agree not to bother is because you want it done at a shop.
    First problem as you noticed, many shops won't install major parts they didn't sell you.
    Second, no insult intended, doesn't sound like you can do it yourself, maybe start finding some new people that have experience and can help you do it.

If you do some research, find the right parts on ebay or wherever, make it a winter project, you might be able to do it for around 1000$-1500$
    You have a 19" front wheel?
    Dual or single disc?
    You will need a new/used (or 2) caliper for a 41mm front end.
    Possibly some spacer work to use the original wheel.
    Must also consider headlight mounting, you need a bottom mount now, turn signals, they have different mounting points, may need to convert all 4 to match.

You're right, Agave. I'll need help on this project. So right now I'm looking for people for this job. Thanks for the reply!

I'm leaning towards a Fatboy front end with fatboy rims. Single disk.

Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    The only reason i agree not to bother is because you want it done at a shop.
    First problem as you noticed, many shops won't install major parts they didn't sell you.
    Second, no insult intended, doesn't sound like you can do it yourself, maybe start finding some new people that have experience and can help you do it.

If you do some research, find the right parts on ebay or wherever, make it a winter project, you might be able to do it for around 1000$-1500$
    You have a 19" front wheel?
    Dual or single disc?
    You will need a new/used (or 2) caliper for a 41mm front end.
    Possibly some spacer work to use the original wheel.
    Must also consider headlight mounting, you need a bottom mount now, turn signals, they have different mounting points, may need to convert all 4 to match.
    Last edited by Easy_Rider; 11-19-2008 at 06:55 PM.

my dad did this conversion years ago in the garage its easy just gotta change the forks and controls you could do it yourself with the right tools.

4 years later my dad wished he just bough a decker because even though its almost a decker, these days a decker is the same price he paid for his night train.