Batteries in FI bikes

Thread: Batteries in FI bikes

Batteries in FI bikes

Do FI bikes need to have a well maintained battery to be able to start vs the carb versions?

Reason to ask is the FI system will not kick on when I turn the ignition on my DL1000. I check the battery and it reads fine but seems then system needs a bit of amperage to get things going as a quick charge does the trick.

This can be serious if in a remote area with no means of boosting. Correct me if I'm wrong but bump starting a FI is pointless without the system activated?
    One bike isn't enough.

Re: Batteries in FI bikes

]Do FI bikes need to have a well maintained battery to be able to start vs the carb versions?
    it doesnt matter, everything needs a well maintained battery. The battery's main draw is the starter motor, not really the FI system.

Reason to ask is the FI system will not kick on when I turn the ignition on my DL1000. I check the battery and it reads fine but seems then system needs a bit of amperage to get things going as a quick charge does the trick.
    What do you mean, the FI wont kick it? the injectors arent pumping fuel??

How did you check the batttery? put a battery load meter on it?

Doing the quick charge - after starting up the bike - does the bike charge the battery or does the battery not hold a charge?

This can be serious if in a remote area with no means of boosting. Correct me if I'm wrong but bump starting a FI is pointless without the system activated?
    YOu can bump start it. But the electrical system needs to be on. Even very little power can start it. But it still needs a bit of power. You can bump start it...better practice though..
    Last edited by frekeyguy; 11-17-2008 at 08:14 AM.

To clarify, the bike's relay switch for the injectors won't click on and activate the injector pump hence the no-start situation if the battery is run down.

Interesting though is that the bike will spin nicely on the starter but not fire the engine. So bump starting is pointless.

After a quick charge, all systems are good to go. Maybe it's the system Suzuki has set up in that the injector relay needs lots more juice than a marginal battery will provide

But the main concern is that if the injector relay doesn't switch things on and a boost is nowhere in site, the rider is basically stranded.
    One bike isn't enough.

have you tested your charging system?

The fuel pump takes very little power compared to the starter. It sounds like you have a problem in your fuel pump circuit.

The fault in that case sounds like it is not with the EFI system itself, but rather the EFI main relay.

Relays normally require higher voltage to get them to pull in, than to hold them in the pulled-in condition.

What's the highest battery voltage you've seen in which the relay fails to pull in?