Helmet cleaning

Thread: Helmet cleaning

Helmet cleaning

Not sure if this is where this post belongs but how do you guys wash your helmets (interior and exterior) and visor and how often do you guys do it?

Re: Helmet cleaning

I clean the outside of my visor before EVERY ride with Plexus. I often ride out of town so it get's loaded with protein critters pretty quick.

Exterior gets done maybe once a month (again with Plexus). I'm not a pretty-pretty guy, so my white leather jacket and white helmet can be dirty with whatever and it doesn't bother me much. I want it to look like I ride, not stand around talking about it or cleaning my stuff to perfection.

Interior depends on how sweaty I get when i'm riding. For my OGK FF4 helmet the inners are easily removable, so I hand wash that with laundry soap (the big yellow brick/bar of Linda's) in the bathroom sink and rinse thoroughly. I do this when it's raining outside because it needs a day to dry (I air dry it so it won't shrink). I do this maybe once a month also. Sometimes that's too often, sometimes not often enough.
    Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

I've used "Johnson's Baby Shampoo" for my helmet liners since my kids were babies.(oldest will be thirty soon...yikes) How often depends on how much you ride.An old stinky helmet is a breeding ground for very nasty bacteria.A scalp infection from prolonged use of a rotten helmet is really hard to get rid of.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

I clean the visor by putting under running water, adding a drop of dish soap and rub with my hand/fingers. Don't use rags or paper towels, they scratch. Then I finish with a hot water rinse and BLOT with kleenex.
    I put the helmet in the diswasher (by itself of course) when the Old Lady is out. Once a month is good enough.
    When you want something done in the worst way, that's usually the way it is implimented... in the worst way.

When I was down in Deals Gap at a rally a few years back one of the guys in our Cabin actually put his helmet in the dishwasher and ran it through a cleaning cycle. He swore by it.

Me, My liners removable so when it get's stinky I pull it out and wash it.

Quote Originally Posted by woobie View Post
    When I was down in Deals Gap at a rally a few years back one of the guys in our Cabin actually put his helmet in the dishwasher and ran it through a cleaning cycle. He swore by it.

Me, My liners removable so when it get's stinky I pull it out and wash it.

wouldn't the hot water and heating elements kill it?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    wouldn't the hot water and heating elements kill it?
    No idea, I assume he didn't put it on Heated dry. It was hot enough down there it would've dried out pretty quick just sitting on the counter.

Exterior as often as needed, same for visor. Interior I do same as wingboy, shampoo liner if it comes out.
    If it does not come out, entire lid into a bucket of soapy water.
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Lemon Pledge or Plexus for exterior and visor, after every ride if necessary.

Interior? I don't sweat much, so the helmet is most often due for a replacement before it gets dirty/smelly inside. I lightly spray the insides with Febreeze before I store it in the bag for winter.

Oh yes, once in a while I use S100 Engine Brightener for sliding plastic and rubber parts, hinges, etc. Keeps things sliding smoothly and prevents aging/graying/cracking of rubber. All my helmets are modular, BTW.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine