02 R6 sheave holder & flywheel puller

Thread: 02 R6 sheave holder & flywheel puller

02 R6 sheave holder & flywheel puller

does anyone have that could rent/loan to me?

anyone have a website which sells these tools for cheaper than 142 EUR for a sheave holder which i'm sure i can make a tool last case scenario, but the flywheer puller is essential.

anyone?

Re: 02 R6 sheave holder & flywheel puller

You can get Motion Pro brand pullers for $20
    http://www.motionpro.com/search/flywheel_pullers/

And to hold the fylwheel/rotor you can just use a cheap strap wrench...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 11-10-2008 at 09:15 AM.

I have heard of fillng the hole full of grease , and getting a regular bolt that fits the hole wrapping some teflon tape around the bolt, then using an impact gun to turn the bolt in and the hydraulic preasure of the grease pops the flyweel off.

Im not recomending it or even endorsing this method but some one told me it worked for them .

Herb

I can't seem to find the 2002 R6 flywheel puller, it has three separate screws and a plate attachment. This is what I envision it looking like, and what the manual shows.

Maybe I'm just confused, which is likely.

I found a nice rubber strap wrench from CT for $5, thanks Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    You can get Motion Pro brand pullers for $20
    http://www.motionpro.com/search/flywheel_pullers/

And to hold the fylwheel/rotor you can just use a cheap strap wrench...
    Last edited by g4getmoney; 11-10-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by g4getmoney View Post
    I can't seem to find the 2002 R6 flywheel puller, it has three separate screws and a plate attachment. This is what I envision it looking like, and what the manual shows.

I found a nice rubber strap wrench from CT for $5, thanks Johnny.
    The R6 uses a threaded puller, just like the Motion pro ones I posted a link for.....You can use the 3 holes and a differnt style puller but it is much harder then useing the threads in the middle of the rotor....

I cant remember the thread size and pitch off the top of my head, but I can find that out for you later if you want....

Quote Originally Posted by g4getmoney View Post

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
    Canadian tire has a harmonic balancer puller tool part number
    25-3608-0

that works nicely for $19.99 .the 3 bolts you need for that are more than likely in that kit.If they are not there go to Brafasco and pick up 3 hardened metric bolt grade 8 or higher to use.
    A word of caution when using this puller .Proper way is to back out the rotor bolt a few turns out so it has room for the rotor to break free.Then you use the rotor bolt as the surface to line up the center cone of the puller. The reason for this is if used directly in the rotor,and the rotor is hard to come out or seized you risk flaring or splitting the crank.I have seen this happen first hand then you are in trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    The R6 uses a threaded puller, just like the Motion pro ones I posted a link for.....You can use the 3 holes and a differnt style puller but it is much harder then useing the threads in the middle of the rotor....
    This style rotor on the 02 R6 cannot be extracted by a single bolt.I have always used the harmonic balancer type tool to get out these rotors .Perhaps you are thinking of the the 02 R1 which does have threads on the outside and can be extracted with a single bolt.For reference i have shown a picture of the 2000-2002 rotor and you can see it has no threads in the center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 326-21244-IgnitionRotor-1.jpg  
    Last edited by silverfox50; 11-10-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: grammar
    LICENSED AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE TECHNICIAN
    LICENSED MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox50 View Post
    25-3608-0

that works nicely for $19.99 .the 3 bolts you need for that are more than likely in that kit.If they are not there go to Brafasco and pick up 3 hardened metric bolt grade 8 or higher to use.
    A word of caution when using this puller .Proper way is to back out the rotor bolt a few turns out so it has room for the rotor to break free.Then you use the rotor bolt as the surface to line up the center cone of the puller. The reason for this is if used directly in the rotor,and the rotor is hard to come out or seized you risk flaring or splitting the crank.I have seen this happen first hand then you are in trouble.

This style rotor on the 02 R6 cannot be extracted by a single bolt.I have always used the harmonic balancer type tool to get out these rotors .Perhaps you are thinking of the the 02 R1 which does have threads on the outside and can be extracted with a single bolt.For reference i have shown a picture of the 2000-2002 rotor and you can see it has no threads in the center.
    Your right, Ive mistaken the rotor with another bike.....I havent done an R6 one since 04, and for some reason I dont remember having to use a 3 bolt puller...Which sucks IMO Id much rather use a threaded puller from the middle, but he doesnt have that option it looks like....

Use strong bolts and be ready for the POP!

Thank you sir, you are the man! I was looking at some flywheel pullers online for much more expensive, I knew crappy tire and a little bit of caution would suffice.

Again, thanks brother.

Johnny thank you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox50 View Post
    25-3608-0