Power commander

Thread: Power commander

Power commander

Just got a new bike and it came with a power commander and a full akro exhaust system. Just wondering what exactly does this power commander do and how do you tune it? is it supposed to be dyno tuned? total newb at this never had a power commander in any of my other bikes before so not sure what am i supposed to do with it? and is there a way to check it is currently running a diffrent map on the commander?
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Re: Power commander

Quote Originally Posted by kawi101 View Post
    Just got a new bike and it came with a power commander and a full akro exhaust system. Just wondering what exactly does this power commander do and how do you tune it? is it supposed to be dyno tuned? total newb at this never had a power commander in any of my other bikes before so not sure what am i supposed to do with it? and is there a way to check it is currently running a diffrent map on the commander?
    download the software from their site and plug it into your computer
    there is a manual on their site aswell to teach you how to use it.

The PC allows you to change the fuel maps & ignition (on some models) in the ECU wich is the computer in your bike.. when you add new pipes,filters ect, to your bike you need to change the mapping in order to gane the best performance out of the mods & to not do any damage to the motor.. I do not recomend that you play around with your PC unless you know what you are doing, as you can cause damage to the engine.. Take the bike to a shop that can tune your bike on the dyno..
    Last edited by Mach12R; 11-07-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    2003 ZX12R---2008 ZX 14---

Don't mess with it if it's working fine!
    If it does need tweaking, take it to Zaid !

umm see thats the problem i dont know if im getting the most out of it since i only had the bike for a day now i wouldnt be able to tell you if this bike has more undiscovered power or if its supposed to run like that, i will most likely take it to a dyno tuning shop. is zaid expensive to dyno tune it? how much is that service anyways?
    Last edited by kawi101; 11-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

Quote Originally Posted by kawi101 View Post
    umm see thats the problem i dont know if im getting the most out of it since i only had the bike for a day now i wouldnt be able to tell you if this bike has more undiscovered power or if its supposed to run like that, i will most likely take it to a dyno tuning shop. is zaid expensive to dyno tune it? how much is that service anyways?
    For most shops it ranges from around $200 - $350... I think they go by an hourly rate. Its probably not a bad idea to do so cause you have no idea what kind of map is in there right now. I don't think that the owner before you would have a crappy map put into the bike, but if he's played around with it himself and doesn't know what he's doing, that would scare me abit...
    2003 ZX12R---2008 ZX 14---

If the bike has been dyno tuned it has already been mapped for maximum performance I would assume. If the bike is behaving properly (not popping on downshifts, no black smoke, no stumbles on acceleration etc) thn leave it alone. If you download and install a map from Dynojet or the pipe manufacturer you will be undoing what has already been done.
    Like grandpa always said "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

There is also no way you're going to FEEL any undiscovered power.

You're talking about finding 1-2hp, the best riders in the world don't have the ability to feel this, there is no way you can riding the bike on the street.

Outright power is not the most important characteristic in a streetbike, driveability is.

If the bike doesn't sputter or hesitate while riding and throttle response is good, leave it alone.

You could always ask the previous owner what they did to it. But like everyone else, if it aint broke, etc, etc.
    "Motorcyclists do it all the time, why don't human beings?"

Jeremy Clarkson on 'just driving'