RCMP Officer, drunk, kills motorcyclist, 21

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RCMP Officer, drunk, kills motorcyclist, 21

RCMP Officer, drunk, kills motorcyclist, 21

Shocking story. He was also part of the crew that killed Dziekanski with a taser at the airport.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

IAN BAILEY AND JOSH WINGROVE
    From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
    October 28, 2008 at 1:05 AM EDT

One of four Mounties involved in a fatal confrontation with Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski last year is now facing charges of impaired driving in an accident that killed a 21-year-old man last weekend on a quiet street in Tsawwassen, B.C.
    The dramatic news comes as Crown attorneys are trying to decide whether to lay criminal charges against the officers in the case of Mr. Dziekanski, who died after being tasered by officers at the international arrivals area of Vancouver airport.
    That incident captured on videotape that has raised enduring questions about the police use of conducted-energy weapons.
    Police refused to identify the officer by name, but the RCMP confirmed his link to the Dziekanski case, and also said he served on the Olympic Integrated Security Unit. Sergeant Tim Shields, a spokesman for the force, said he did not know the officer's age or how many years of service he had with the force.

The RCMP and police in the municipality of Delta, which includes Tsawwassen, on Tuesday disclosed that the off-duty Mountie, a Tsawwassen resident, was involved in a collision just after 10 p.m. Saturday night between his Jeep and a motorcycle driven by Orion Hutchinson, 21, on a quiet two-lane street. Witnesses say the officer left the scene of the crash, and later blew over the legal limit for alcohol.
    Witnesses reported that the Jeep appeared to be turning left onto a residential street on a tight angle when it struck Mr. Hutchinson's motorcycle.
    "It was just a loud explosion. Such a horrible sound," said a 50-year-old woman who lives steps away from the crash, and didn't want her name published. "There was just nothing left of that motorcycle. That poor boy didn't stand a chance."
    After the crash, the woman saw the officer hand his driver's licence to another witness before leaving the scene on foot with his two children who were in the car. He didn't appear to attend to or check on the injured Mr. Hutchinson, she said.
    "He got out of his Jeep, handed his licence to somebody and ran down the road with a kid in each hand," the witness said. "Maybe he could have saved that kid's life? He's a policeman, he must have had first-aid training."
    Untrained witnesses then attempted to perform CPR on Mr. Hutchinson until emergency crews arrived, guided by a 911 call-taker over a cellphone, the witness said. Mr. Hutchinson died at the scene.
    "It was very, very shocking. It's just devastating."
    The Mountie, who returned to the scene, afterwards failed a breath test at Delta police headquarters, and was released on a promise to appear in Provincial Court on Jan. 15. Police have recommended charges of impaired driving causing death and exceeding .08.
    Sgt. Shields offered his condolences to Mr. Hutchinson's family. "Our deepest and most heartfelt and sincere condolences and our hearts and prayers are with you," he said during a news conference at E Division headquarters.
    "This is a tragedy and a heartbreak. All of us are absolutely sick about it," he said, speaking for the RCMP's members and employees.
    The officer has been suspended with pay and will face a code of conduct investigation over the incident. "The officer involved is predictably devastated as are we," Sgt. Shields said.
    Mr. Hutchinson's father was so distraught he was barely able to express himself as he spoke to CTV about the loss of his son on the doorstep of the family's home.
    "He was incredibly smart and full of life. He loved nature. He could literally spend hours studying creatures," said Glenn Hutchinson, struggling to control his emotions as he recalled a young man who, as a child, would rescue earthworms from puddles.
    Asked about his son's interests, he said: "It was nature. It was all about nature with him." He added: "I loved every minute I had with him. The only thing I can tell you to do is love your children and hug them like there's no tomorrow because sometimes there isn't."
    Sgt. Shields said the RCMP has taken an "arm's-length" distance from the investigation and left the review of the incident to the Delta Police Department.
    The other three officers involved in the Dziekanski confrontation remain on duty, but Sgt. Shields would not say where.
    Constable Paul Eisenzimmer of the Delta force told a separate news conference on Tuesday that the case remains under investigation, and that additional charges are possible. "This is a large-scale investigation and, like any large-scale investigation, will take some time to conclude," he said. For that reason, he said there were limits on details that could be released.
    He said the officer's name had not been released because he had not been charged.

Re: RCMP Officer, drunk, kills motorcyclist, 21

Very sad. Very sad.
    "Who's to say the way a man should spend his days?" - J.M.

And after all we expect our police to protect us... my *****....!

suspended with pay? WTF is this ****?
    "So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life." - Office Space

Oh, the officer who hit and killed a motorcyclist while driving drunk with his kids in his Jeep is "predictably devastated"??????

what the **** is that ****?!

suspended with pay??? how about being fired.... out of a canon, into the sun. this guy has no place in our society, let alone trying to protect and serve us.

they're considering laying charges??? how about criminal negligence causing death?? vehicular manslaughter?

Quote Originally Posted by stevex View Post
    suspended with pay? WTF is this ****?
    that probably applies to cops only....

Quote Originally Posted by ForceGe View Post
    Or teachers.. dang. unions...
    Last edited by Angus Argyle; 10-29-2008 at 09:44 AM.
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

i'm just wondering what would happen if a motorcyclist killed a cop? the guy would be sentenced to 400 years, bikes banned in one month, in the meanwhile insurance companies go wild...

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Oh, the officer who hit and killed a motorcyclist while driving drunk with his kids in his Jeep is "predictably devastated"??????

what the **** is that ****?!

suspended with pay??? how about being fired.... out of a canon, into the sun. this guy has no place in our society, let alone trying to protect and serve us.

they're considering laying charges??? how about criminal negligence causing death?? vehicular manslaughter?

all sounds like what normally would happen, to us regular folks!

Quote Originally Posted by James VTX View Post
    all sounds like what normally would happen, to us regular folks!
    they would also show your face on every TV channel

Language....can this not be discussed without the swearing? It'll be in trash by lunch today!

Question...would you guys lose your job for drunk driving and killing someone? Didn't think so..
    "When you invite the whole world to your party, inevitably someone pees in the beer."

Visit Sponsors of GTAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Question...would you guys lose your job for drunk driving and killing someone? Didn't think so..

actually i believe anyone would... think of the order of things even for us regular folks.

first you lose your lic, yes you get it back for 3 months, but with a death i think it is safe to say you can't get a lawyer to get you off this one. then with the fact you killed someone, yes you can safely say there is going to be jail time (for regluar folks that is).

so i'm guessing you think your job would be there waiting?

and that really was just the short list of events that would come.

this is crazy.....but back in the late 90's my friends father was driving to Collingwood to work (LOF glass plant) on his old honda....and a 17 year old was passing on a hill in his das truck....and hit and killed my buddied dad....the kid got 6 month suspension and probation. But I hope this copper gets convicted and gets his bum really stretched out in jail! Then he can really feel bad about what he has done!
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 10-29-2008 at 09:54 AM.

"Police have recommended charges of impaired driving causing death and exceeding .08."

WTF.... why have they not been issued???? polices services won't punish their own, so even if they charges are laid they will fall near the paper shredder soon or a later....

R.I.P young soul.

hmmm...i would lose my job for a lot less...i should be in a union, then i never get fired...what a complete joke...i wonder who the SIU report will favour...lol...

I would lose mine.

Shows the upstanding charachter of this LEO.

That's 2 needless deaths at the watch of this officer. Shameful.

My vote, general population in the tank.

Pure scum...

"He got out of his Jeep, handed his licence to somebody and ran down the road with a kid in each hand," the witness said. "Maybe he could have saved that kid's life? He's a policeman, he must have had first-aid training."
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Language....can this not be discussed without the swearing? It'll be in trash by lunch today!

yup, i'd lose my job.

hard to be a P.Eng with a criminal record.

It would be up to the person who pays my salary if I lost my job or not. Now where does the money come from to pay the police? Shouldn't the taxpayer decide what happens to this scum bag? If I wasn't working I wouldn't be paid. This scum isn't working yet still collecting a paycheque? you don't see a problem there?

Why hasn't he been charged yet? Do you think the average person who killed someone in a crash would have charges 'Recomended'? They would already be charged. Plus get slapped with leaving the scene of a crime. Why isn't he in jail right now?

The guy who shot the girl in Leslieville is in jail right now because he murdered someone. Why isn't this officer treated the same. Murder is Murder it shouldn't matter if you use a gun irresponsibly or a car.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceGe View Post
    I think they will argue that he was off-duty, so basically just another drunk on the road who is not getting what he should deserve.

SIU verdict? LOL ,,,, yeah impartial as CBC and Leafs .....

This is getting swarmed at the CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...socialcomments
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.