No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first reading) - Page 2

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first reading)

Re: No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first readi

ok fine....i will be the one to bring this up.

as i put on my flame suit i think......

i understand that people are upset. upset that they can't take their kids out for a ride.... but maybe its for the better.

this past summer there were a few accidents where a child was seriously injured or died from a motorcycle accident.

maybe this isn't to tell you the parent what to do... but maybe to help save the life of a young child.
    perhaps the adult isn't as good as they think they are... and end up getting into a situation that harms the adult and the child.

as motorcycle riders we know very well that sometimes things happen, people are stupid... and we sometimes get into scary situations...

i guess what they gov't is saying is...."if your going to do something dangerous like ride a motorcycle...thats fine. But do it on you own. Don't risk the life of a child.

not to mention.... kids may not have the strength to hold on. kids may not have the common sense needed to be a passenger.
    (some adults don't)

i dont often agree with the gov't and what they have to say... but maybe they are on to something here...the gov't isn't that far off.

just my 2cents.....DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY ...... flame away.

Re: No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first readi

when you can prove there are more children deaths on motorcycles then in cars (to a ratio obviously) i will agree with this. more kids die being bullied/abuse but whats the government do for that??? F this political system and F our government "the land of the free" more like the land of Parliament Hill and all others will bow down.

F the liberals and conservatives!! we complain and want change but no one votes for it. liberals have FAILED!! conservatives have FAILED!! but yet people just keep juggling the two like theyre the only 2 parties.

NEXT ELECTION VOTE FOR SOME GOD DAMN CHANGE!!!F*&$!!
    Last edited by zacm7; 10-28-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Cool Re: No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first readi

Quote Originally Posted by masalma View Post
    I am REALLY considering that as well. It is just getting too nuts, imagine 10 years down the road, each vehicle would have a tracker on it, the second you go above speed limit it just shuts off, locks the doors and pulls over to the side of the road an wait for the cops to come take you with it.
    Shhhhh....! Don't give them any ideas. But I would relax...Dolton and the gang are slow dimwitted idiots....they don't always get their way. Ride while you can...enjoy every minute.
    07 Buell XB12Ss
    Black, jardine exhaust, race ecm, k&n filter,
    CRG Hindsight bar end mirrors, crossroads handle bars, dieselmoto fender eliminator, gel grips, 010 Buell firebolt tire hugger and belt guard, S-10 British avon gas mask, right side air scoop, Buell pegasus decal and pazzo levers and then 5-0dro sliders & Rizoma track 77 led signals

Cool Re: No more giving Kids under 14 a Ride on your Bike (Bill 117 Carried on first readi

Quote Originally Posted by anth1414 View Post

i understand that people are upset. upset that they can't take their kids out for a ride.... but maybe its for the better.

this past summer there were a few accidents where a child was seriously injured or died from a motorcycle accident.

maybe this isn't to tell you the parent what to do... but maybe to help save the life of a young child.
    perhaps the adult isn't as good as they think they are... and end up getting into a situation that harms the adult and the child.

as motorcycle riders we know very well that sometimes things happen, people are stupid... and we sometimes get into scary situations...

i guess what they gov't is saying is...."if your going to do something dangerous like ride a motorcycle...thats fine. But do it on you own. Don't risk the life of a child.

not to mention.... kids may not have the strength to hold on. kids may not have the common sense needed to be a passenger.
    (some adults don't)

i dont often agree with the gov't and what they have to say... but maybe they are on to something here...the gov't isn't that far off.

Just gonna say...how many kids are hurt in car accidents vs motorcycle accidents..? Ban kids in cars??? It just makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    This slid through quietly yesterday with no debate whatsoever The Safety Fanatics are hard at work.. All you you in Markham will have to thank your MPP Helena Jackek.

Guess no more giving my Son a ride on a nice Summer Day.

[FONT=Arial]
    Thanks CBRJOHN. I posted this over at www.dirtybikes.ca.

Spread the word.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

blah...blah...blah...
    So I'm supposed to let the government infringe on my rights as a parent? My children are MY responsibility. Raising them is MY job. The activities that I let them enjoy are MY decision.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Well it seems that at least one of these many new bills may prove useful, the proposed ban on cell phones while driving: http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

What an absolute crock of sh**! Canadians need to wake up and stop the governmaent meddling in every aspect of your life. Next you'll be waiting for a politician to tell you when you can take a dump. If you think its dangerous to take your kid on a bike, Don't! But you'd better keep them bubble wrapped and in their bedrooms with padded walls. Wake up guys. If a kid gets knocked over, are you going to ban cars or kids crossing roads?
    I am just popping off to puke.
    Last edited by cutekill; 10-30-2008 at 09:26 AM.

yet you keep voting for these clowns.

Nothing else to say - too ****** off!

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

i understand that they are YOUR kids, and its YOUR money, and its YOUR job to raise them.

i am just saying that maybe its an attempt to "speak" on behalf of the children that don't know any better to say NO.

a child doesn't know any better to say NO... of course they want to go for a ride on mom/dad bike. but as an adult we should know better, or at least think twice about it.

the child is being put into harms way with out them knowing any better.

i don't think DEATHS should be the meter. Car deaths vs Motorcycle Deaths is not the measurement we should be looking at.

i guess most people are so upset and they feel the gov't should NOT tell them how to raise their kids....that they don't see the merit in this idea.

is this really a bad idea? can you honestly say that keeping children off motorcycles is a bad idea?

i understand that kids get hurt in car accidents too. but why make them more vulnerable on motorcycle.

again. I agree with you all that the gov't should not tell you how to raise your kids..... but for some people..... they need it.

i am simply providing a counter point of view. PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. REALLY....PLEASE DON'T.

(some adults don't)

You can't just ban everything that's dangerous.

Kids get hurt playing sports, ban kids in sports. Kids fall out of trees, ban trees. Kids get hurt with knives, ban knives.

This is just more nanny BS.

Bah.. I'm movin to mexico too.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiZuki View Post
    When does this take effect?

The absurdity continues. Did they catch that shooter yet?

nope

Resurrection

(some adults don't)

BS My son is 10, and he has been going for rides with me since he was 7 and never a problem. This crap is getting out of hand, and we need to stop it.

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

This is the letter I've written to Ms Jaceck.

I am writing you to make you aware of my objection to Bill 117:
    An Act to amend the Highway Traffic Act to prohibit the driving and operation of motorcycles with child passengers
    While every death of a child is a tragedy, I feel this bill unfairly targets families whose recreational activities include motorcycles. As a motorcyclist for over 25 year, I regularly take my children for rides on my Motorcycles. My children always wear Snell/DOT Approved full face helmets, Proper protective apparel with CE Approved armour. It is not the governments business to protect my children. That is my responsibility as a parent and one I take Very Seriously. I don’t know what statistics you based your decision to introduce this law were based on but based on what I know the number of injuries to children from riding on street motorcycles is very small. Perhaps you should Ban children from Riding Bicycles, Outlaw Skateboards, Ban Swimming. Make Skiing and Snowboarding Illegal. Outlaw Children riding in cars. All of these activities cause injuries and death to Children. Perhaps I shouldn’t have made those suggestions based on the ill conceived and poorly written legislation introduced by your government.
    The World cannot be made a 100% safe place, It is up to parents to keep children safe, Not the governments. If the Police see someone acting in a irresponsible manner then they should address the individual offender.
    Some of my fondest childhood memories involve riding on the back of my fathers motorcycle, Memories I don’t want to deprive my children of.. I am very offended you think you know what is better for my children than I do.
    I would be very interested in attending any public consultation on this bill, Or are you planning on forcing it through the legislature like the Liberal Government has done on so many other Occasions?
    Sincerely,

I'll betcha more kids are killed/hurt on bicycles than motorcycles...so we should ban bicycles then? Lets say out of 500 car accidents with a kid involved on any given day there might be 1 motorcycle accident with a kid. So the gov't is saying the one kids life is far more important thant the 500 in cars....tell me where is the logic?

i understand that they are YOUR kids, and its YOUR money, and its YOUR job to raise them.
    Exactly. So keep YOUR nose out of MY parental responsibilities.

i am just saying that maybe its an attempt to "speak" on behalf of the children that don't know any better to say NO.

a child doesn't know any better to say NO... of course they want to go for a ride on mom/dad bike. but as an adult we should know better, or at least think twice about it.

the child is being put into harms way with out them knowing any better.
    What would they need to know better? Please explain to me how I'm putting my kids in harms way. If you think motorcycling is that dangerous why don't you give it up?

i don't think DEATHS should be the meter. Car deaths vs Motorcycle Deaths is not the measurement we should be looking at.
    Why not? It's the whole basis of the safety argument. How about we compare children run over in school zones to motorcycle accidents. Bicycle accidents to motorcycle accidents. Sports injuries to motorcycle injuries. I betcha the motorcycling is the least of the bunch. So lets just ban bicycles, sports and school while we are at it.

i guess most people are so upset and they feel the gov't should NOT tell them how to raise their kids....that they don't see the merit in this idea.

is this really a bad idea? can you honestly say that keeping children off motorcycles is a bad idea?

i understand that kids get hurt in car accidents too. but why make them more vulnerable on motorcycle.
    Lets just put them in a bubble too. I'm sure with today's technology they can design something strong yet breathable.

again. I agree with you all that the gov't should not tell you how to raise your kids..... but for some people..... they need it.
    Then find those people and leave the rest of us alone.

Save the children.... Save the children....

i am simply providing a counter point of view. PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. REALLY....PLEASE DON'T.
    Will you still be on this side of the fence when they ban motorcycles completely? (Notice I said "when", not "if")
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

I'll bet you don't have Children of your own, If you did you wouldn't want the government telling you how to raise them or what activities you can do with them. True, Some people are Irresponsible, If there is a epidemic of that, Address those who are irresponsible. Not the 99% that are.

Yes, It is MY Job to raise my kid, Not the governments.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    This is the letter I've written to Ms Jaceck.

Nice. Let us know what the reply is. I also requested more info from my MP as to what I can do to voice my objections.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Well I don't agree with this bill, but you guys keep referring to compare how many kids die in cars vs on bikes.

This is not a fair comparison because motorcycles are only driven on days where weather is permitting, cars usually on any day. Not everyone owns a bike. Almost everyone has a car, including those who own bikes. Even fewer people who have bikes, have kids as well. And even fewer still are those who allow their kids on the back of their bike. Where as people put new borns in their vehicles. So to try and make a direct comparison for kids in cars vs kids in motorcycles would be not only unfair, but pretty pointless if you ask me.

That being said I think this is a pretty important right for us to maintain, as I can see this being extend to older and older. and eventually make 2 up riding illegal(or something to that extent).

So I recommend everyone send a letter similar to Johns to your government representative and possible to this lady as well.

This is retarded! I always take my cousins out on the bike.. now they have to wait 5 years to ride with me and their dad again? WTF! stupid markham mpp!