suzuki gs500f

Thread: suzuki gs500f

balds

suzuki gs500f

Hi my name is leo and I'm having problem with my shifting gears. I shift to 1st then go to second it doesn't work and I try riding it doesn't shift at all. It just shift only on first gear. Can somebody help me please. thanks

Re: suzuki gs500f

how is your oil level that effects the shifting on those and is the clutch cable adjusted properly ?

try upshifting WITHOUT using the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by squid pro quo View Post
    try upshifting WITHOUT using the clutch.
    If he can't shift with it, why would he be able to shift without it?

To the OP.
    More details might help.

When you shift from first to second, what specifically happens? Does the motor die? Does it get stuck in neutral?
    Can you shift to second when stopped (from neutral to second)? If not, what happens? Any sounds? Clicks? grinds?

With the bike on the center stand, and the rear wheel in the air, can you cycle through all the gears with the engine off? How bout with the engine on? (be safe).

Details!
    Last edited by djltoronto; 10-27-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by balds View Post
    Hi my name is leo and I'm having problem with my shifting gears. I shift to 1st then go to second it doesn't work and I try riding it doesn't shift at all. It just shift only on first gear. Can somebody help me please. thanks
    Typically you push the gear shifter down into 1st gear and pull up for the remaining 4-5 gears.

Now I pray that I didn't help sove your problem.

balds

Thank's for the help guys, It was the oil level it's was very low and the oil looks very black. The guy who i bought the bike from said he hasn't change the oil since the beginning of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by balds View Post
    Thank's for the help guys, It was the oil level it's was very low and the oil looks very black. The guy who i bought the bike from said he hasn't change the oil since the beginning of the summer.
    From this point forward do an oil change on that bike every 3,000kms, no matter what oil you use you're going to start noticing a major performance decrease in the smoothness of ***** after this point. Oh an change the filter every time...
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    From this point forward do an oil change on that bike every 3,000kms, no matter what oil you use you're going to start noticing a major performance decrease in the smoothness of ***** after this point. Oh an change the filter every time...
    are we talking corn?how does one test the smoothness?

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Typically you push the gear shifter down into 1st gear and pull up for the remaining 4-5 gears.

Now I pray that I didn't help sove your problem.
    This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Always try the simple solutions first.