Oil change disaster

Thread: Oil change disaster

ZeevSchneider

Question Oil change disaster

I have an ‘84 nighthawk which I bought this season and, about to put it into storage, was changing the oil for the first time. The crankcase drain bolt was very difficult to open. After draining the oil, I noticed that there were some metal bits on the thread of the bolt. It turns out that it does not fit back on – it reaches a point of resistance and then loses it. I have no idea whether this can be fixed and how. Meanwhile, I have a bike with no oil, sitting in my parking spot. Help if you can!

Thanks!

SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Re: Oil change disaster

Not that I could help, but what kind of metal? Is it bits of the aluminum thread (non magnetic) or swarf stuck to a magnetic drain plug. Does the plug thread in until it seats then 'let go' or is it hard starting (the last guy may have cross threaded it)?

I have a tap set, we could clean up that hole, and put that bolt back..if it seats well....or go one size up, either metric of imperial..

I've had a drain plug issue with my old 250r....

i dont know who posted it, but you can get a oil drain tap.

The season is almost over, get the tap which is a tad more than that size.

You gotta get your micrometer out and measure the hole first....

so when you retap that hole for one size up, and put the oil drain tap in, you wont have to remove the tap, you drain away and close the tap.

or if you can find a Oversize - Piggy Back - Self Taping (w/Washer) sorta nut to fit, that will work, but you gotta be careful when you use the smaller nut...

If you are going to tap the drain hole to fit a larger size bolt, I would remove the entire oil pan before you do it. You don't want any bits of swarf left inside the motor and the only sure way to be 100% certain is to remove the pan and thoroughly clean out the hole and the inside of the pan after tapping the thread.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.