My rotors are already rusting

Thread: My rotors are already rusting

My rotors are already rusting

My bike has been sitting for more than 2 months in the garage (not heated) and the front rotors are starting to rust. I was wondering what solution can I use to prevent this from happening and not contaminate the brake pads?

I found these at CT, are they safe for the rotors and the pads?
    Rust Remover http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...Rust+Converter

Rust Check Spray
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...bad00a630002ca

Re: My rotors are already rusting

Rotors on my car rust if I don't use it for a weekend.... (and its damp)

Quote Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
    Rotors on my car rust if I don't use it for a weekend.... (and its damp)
    That pretty much sums it up.

Cast Iron getting damp during the manufacturing and transportation, if not correctly accounted for, is a large portion of their defective count (Big 3 won't accept ill-coloured parts, not pretty enough). It's surface, doesn't look pretty, but comes off as you ride (or drive) it off.
    *gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    My bike has been sitting for more than 2 months in the garage (not heated) and the front rotors are starting to rust. I was wondering what solution can I use to prevent this from happening and not contaminate the brake pads?

I found these at CT, are they safe for the rotors and the pads?
    Rust Remover http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...Rust+Converter
    I've used that on our car's panels way back when. I think it just eats away the oxidization. I wouldn't spend my money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    Its not thick, its a very thin spray. If you want something like this, try to find this can, its black I forget what its called, but its in the same area, and its only a big can. around $9.99 for it.

What I would recommend is use brake clean + clean rags....get as much off as possible. Then use medium steel wood, then fine. Then coat is in chain wax (the dupont stuff). This should keep moisture off.

Thats how i'd protect the rotors.

Please don't spray your rotors with an oil based rust inhibitor.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Talking Re: My rotors are already rusting

Yeah, brake clean and a good clean rag will do the trick along with some elbow grease!!!!! You'll have to spin the wheel and get the whole rotor, or wipe as much as you can access and then roll the bike forward a bit and wipe the rest that was hidden by the caliper. Just make sure that before you take the bike out for it's first ride of the season in spring, that you thoroughly wipe the rotors down with the brake clean again to get rid of any excess Dupont Chain Wax!!!!! You can also use the steel wool to help you with the really tuff corosion/ stains.

Good luck.
    Cheers........
    Steve

Just leave them.
    It wont hurt anything and will only happen again before you get that bike together again.
    Dont use any spray inhibitor. If you must do anything just some steel wool will take it off but its a waste of time. Its not like they will rust away like a car body panel anytime soon.

cover them with a layer of oil, motor oil works fine ...

-> use at work risk

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

pretty sure the guys at Fireball Coatings have something that'll coat the rotors and stop that from happening

as has been said, don't waste your time and money, once you start riding the bike the rust will be worn off within a couple blocks by the brake pads

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    pretty sure the guys at Fireball Coatings have something that'll coat the rotors and stop that from happening
    I got my car rotors Cadmium plated when they were new. This does help prevent rusting and looks great as I use to have regular drilled rotors that look like azz when rusted. Note though that the coating process is a thin layer and when you use the brakes the point of contact (where pads touch) will scrape away. This means the majority of the break will be rust free but your friction points will still rust.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

im not suggesting that you spray them with chain wax, just spray some into the cap and rub them with your hands.

its minimum. amount + the molecules are larger enough, its not like its penetration oil.

and it can be easily wiped off with brake clean.

If you have high dollar brakes, then its worth the effort to save them from the rust in the holes...

Don't coat the rotors with anything. Whatever crap you put on the rotors will soak right in to the brake pads, and you can't clean them. If you like stopping then just let them rust. The rust will disapear the first time out in the spring.
    CB750F, R6, XR250, CR80, CRF50