2005 Hyosung GT650R project ??

Thread: 2005 Hyosung GT650R project ??

2005 Hyosung GT650R project ??

OK. This bike is for sale locally to me. It has a few problems all mechanical. First it leaks all it's oil on the ground days after filling it up, Second it sounds like a bag of hammers when running and smokes more than John Wayne.

It starts runs and drives. No local shops in my area will work on these bikes but the web site sells all the engine parts.

My idea is to try and fix the motor myself but if (after) I bugger it up take it to a shop. Just not sure on my mechanical skills. This would be much more complicated than my YZ85 was.

Asking price is $1000

2005 Hyosung GT650R

Re: 2005 Hyosung GT650R project ??

buy it and stick an SV motor in?

nice project for a RZ350 motor, very tempting as I have a spare 89 rz motor

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    OK. This bike is for sale locally to me. It has a few problems all mechanical. First it leaks all it's oil on the ground days after filling it up, Second it sounds like a bag of hammers when running and smokes more than John Wayne.

It starts runs and drives. No local shops in my area will work on these bikes but the web site sells all the engine parts.

My idea is to try and fix the motor myself but if (after) I bugger it up take it to a shop. Just not sure on my mechanical skills. This would be much more complicated than my YZ85 was.

Asking price is $1000

2005 Hyosung GT650R

Buy it, and ditch that motor, its brutal. The 650R's motor pre 07 are hideous monstrocities. Conversely all the motors 07 on, are gems with no real mechanical issues to worry about. Swap in an 07 or if you can an FI 08 motor and your good to go!
    NOMFuP, Not My ****ing Problem. - Malcom Tucker

Quote Originally Posted by HyoSilver View Post
    Buy it, and ditch that motor, its brutal. The 650R's motor pre 07 are hideous monstrocities. Conversely all the motors 07 on, are gems with no real mechanical issues to worry about. Swap in an 07 or if you can an FI 08 motor and your good to go!
    If the motor can't hold oil, then there is a high probability that all the moving bits are f'd. Unless you can get the bike for $100, then a used motor would be the best option.

Chances are greater than 50% that the wiring harness and ECU would also need to be replaced if you put in a FI motor. Even the 07 motor may have incompatibilities.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

There's a Hyosang Dealer in Richmond Hill. On Elgin Mills between Yonge and Bayview on the north side. Get a quote on repairing the motor before you get all jiggy with an engine swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duc View Post
    There's a Hyosang Dealer in Richmond Hill. On Elgin Mills between Yonge and Bayview on the north side. Get a quote on repairing the motor before you get all jiggy with an engine swap.
    I spoke with them. bring the bike, Pay us to strip the motor and give you an estimate. The estimate would cost more than the purchase price.