Aluminum tubing

Thread: Aluminum tubing

Aluminum tubing

Before i start bending,twisting,hammering on my aluminum fairing stay.Does anyone have any tips.Ya,i could buy a new one for not too much,but that's not what the Muffin (my trackbike) is all about.It's a one-off,home made piece,so i have no idea what it's made of other than being aluminum.I doubt that it's high grade aircraft quality stuff.Prolly someones old lawn chair.

"If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Re: Aluminum tubing

That looks like a very thin walled tubeing, probably 6063 but with a thin wall....

I make custom fairing stays for stunt bikes, but I use thick wall .120 6063 tubing...

If you want to locate that exact tube, then your going to have to cut a piece open, measure the OD and the wall thickness....From the looks of how it kinked so easily, and how the ends have been flattened Id assume its close to a .065 wall
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 10-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Re: Aluminum tubing

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    That looks like a very thin walled tubeing, probably 6063 but with a thin wall....

I make custom fairing stays for stunt bikes, but I use thick wall .120 6063 tubing...

If you want to locate that exact tube, then your going to have to cut a piece open, measure the OD and the wall thickness....From the looks of how it kinked so easily, and how the ends have been flattened Id assume its close to a .065 wall
    Not fair dangling a carrot like that! Now ya gotta pm me a quote to make me something.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"