Help with Trailer Wiring

Thread: Help with Trailer Wiring

Help with Trailer Wiring

I just bought a small trailer and hitch for my Toyota Echo (yes it’s a small bike). The hitch is on but the wiring is a problem. The regular 4 pin trailer connection on my trailer works with North American style one wire bulb set-ups, but asian two wire bulbs, well not so much. Or so says the packaging for the trailer hitch plugs came in. It also states I need a converter (?).

Anybody shed any light on this before I call the dealer?
    ride - if you want to

Re: Help with Trailer Wiring

Any trailer shop, or even CDN Tire can and will get you hooked up (pardon the pun) with a converter box that will convert your car's 4 wire tailights to a 2 wire signal before exitting your trunk into the trailer connector. I had to do this on my VW Jetta and it was a half hour of painless work.
    Do not skimp and use elec tape or crappy connectors. Try to use solder and heat shrink tubing so you only have to do it once.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    I just bought a small trailer and hitch for my Toyota Echo (yes it’s a small bike). The hitch is on but the wiring is a problem. The regular 4 pin trailer connection on my trailer works with North American style one wire bulb set-ups, but asian two wire bulbs, well not so much. Or so says the packaging for the trailer hitch plugs came in. It also states I need a converter (?).

4 wire VS 5 wire demo video - http://www.etrailer.com/tv-wiring-10...-wire-faq.aspx

Sounds like you need a converter! They are sold at walmart and Can-tire!
    Something like this - http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118130.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post

DUDE! don't waste you time with that.. cutting/splicing, heat shrinking,..etc... thats a pain in the arse... SPECIALLY if the wiring in your car is in a bad spot!

Head over to Hitch City! There's one is Scarborough on the North EAst side of Ellesmere and Warden area. The other one is in the west side area... Mississauga @ Dixie south of the 401 and south of the Car Dealers mall and you'll see it on the west side.
    Go in the store and ask the clerk for a 2 pin connector to a 4pin connecter adapter for you car and basic pin set up on the trailer. Thats all you need is a "plug and play"!!!
    It may cost $40+ but its worth every penny!

Quote Originally Posted by Arai-ko View Post
    DUDE! don't waste you time with that.. cutting/splicing, heat shrinking,..etc... thats a pain in the arse... SPECIALLY if the wiring in your car is in a bad spot!

Head over to Hitch City! There's one is Scarborough on the North EAst side of Ellesmere and Warden area. The other one is in the west side area... Mississauga @ Dixie south of the 401 and south of the Car Dealers mall and you'll see it on the west side.
    Go in the store and ask the clerk for a 2 pin connector to a 4pin connecter adapter for you car and basic pin set up on the trailer. Thats all you need is a "plug and play"!!!
    It may cost $40+ but its worth every penny!

2 pin to 4 pin?
    You're gonna be needing more than 2 contacts from the car side of things?

what does this connector look like?

go to Hitch City and ask for the Trailer Wiring Harness for you Echo. Don't bother with converters or anything like that. If you install the converter wrong and the car blows then you are on your own... With this kit you just unplug your lights and plug this thing in it's place....

The Wiring Harness also fits the Matrix.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012RM15W?...0&linkCode=asn
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

I selll you my trailer wire converter for $10 bucks if you want to take the converter route.

pm me located in scarborough

Thanks guys

Got the convertor from Toyota - 25$
    ride - if you want to