Anybody know the legal HID brightness limit?

Thread: Anybody know the legal HID brightness limit?

Anybody know the legal HID brightness limit?

As mentioned in the title...I was thinking 8000k

Re: Anybody know the legal HID brightness limit?

the K is the colour not the brightness.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

the K is the bulb temperature...the higher that number the less white light you will have.

There is no explicitly-written limit.

There is a standard for lighting on motor vehicle lighting which new vehicle manufacturers must certify that their vehicles conform to, and that is CMVSS 108.

HID systems require automatic-levelling devices in order to be legal. The usual type of HID retrofit kit (direct replacement of the bulbs along with the wiring for the associated ballast and igniter) does not have this.

Also, the standards require a certain beam pattern, and that beam pattern is based on how light is emitted from an industry-standard filament-type bulb. It is not guaranteed that the beam pattern from an HID replacement bulb will send light in the same directions, so it will be out of compliance based on that also.

BUT ... nowhere in the HTA does it say in black and white (excluding vagaries that are subject to interpretation) that you cannot use HID bulbs.

So ... you are on your own.

If you use an HID system that does not attract too much attention then probably you won't get ticketed. But, if you get busted in one of the MoT vehicle safety "sting" operations, because your lighting system is not OEM-original and not completely DOT or e-code, you will have a difficult time defending it IF you get ticketed.

Clear as mud?

Stay under 4500K and don't use the extra-high-power bulbs and make sure the aim is decent, particularly on low beam.

I have had a home made hid system using oem audi and nissan bulbs and ballasts for about 3 or 4 years and have never been pulled over . They show up the reflective strip on the side of cop cars hiding in the weeds nice at night. The set up has saved from the cops at least once and from a herd of deer and parade of basket ball size turtles once.

You guys have it easy now , I remolded the bases of my own bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HERBXX View Post
    They show up the reflective strip on the side of cop cars hiding in the weeds nice at night.
    *THAT* is a useful feature!!

Thanks for all the info guys...much appreciated

i have seen plenty of 10,000 k hids where i'm from...although to be safe id stay at 8000 k or under...6000 is your BEST BET