Rust on Forks

Thread: Rust on Forks

Question Rust on Forks

I am restoring a few old bikes from the 80's. Most have specks of rust on the fork tubes -to varying degrees- any good means of removing this? - I guess rechroming is a last resort - any shop that can handle the forks if I cannot remove the rust?

Thanks

Tango
    A favourite bike is one you still have.

83GS1100SD Katana, 1990 BMW K1, 85 Goldwing Ltd

Re: Rust on Forks

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    I am restoring a few old bikes from the 80's. Most have specks of rust on the fork tubes -to varying degrees- any good means of removing this? - I guess rechroming is a last resort - any shop that can handle the forks if I cannot remove the rust?

Thanks

Tango
    Nope if the legs are pitted even if you remove the rust the rough pitting will destroy your seals over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Nope if the legs are pitted even if you remove the rust the rough pitting will destroy your seals over and over.
    +1. Had this exact problem. Got so fed up replacing fork seals (a few times per season) that I ended up buying replacement upper fork tubes. The replacements were used, but in much better condition than the originals.

It's been a few years, but I think the upper tubes cost me ~$100. The cost was easily recovered by no longer having to replace the seals so often.

Rust on the fork tubes is only a problem if it occurs on the area of the tube where the fork seal will make contact. Assuming that this is your problem there is a "bodge" fix. I read about this in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics but I have never tried it. First remove all the rust. You can do this with various chemicals/acids available. Then you need to remove any flaking or peeling chrome. Use a very fine file or sandpaper paper. Next use an epoxy to fill the pitted area. One it hardens sand it smooth with a fine sandpaper.

Failing that, try "Forking by Frank" for replacement tubes:

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I bought tubes from him to restore an old bike. Decent pricing and the quality was excellent, far superior to the stock parts.
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Thanks - will try the fix - I heard about a shop near near front street in Toronto where the guy regularly rechromes the tubes for abour $80 per side - will be my last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Thanks - will try the fix - I heard about a shop near near front street in Toronto where the guy regularly rechromes the tubes for abour $80 per side - will be my last resort.
    $80 per side is a decent deal. Do you have any contact information for this guy?
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Will post when I check with my source

This was the recommendation - anybody else use these people?

Mayfair Plating
    96 Carlaw Ave
    Toronto, ON
    M4M 2R7
    (416) 461-4435