New Motorcycle Race Series at TMP in 09

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Motorcycle Race Series at TMP in 09

New Motorcycle Race Series at TMP in 09

Southern Ontario Association of Racing

Introducing a brand new motorcycle road race series in Ontario. S.O.A.R. will be providing a five round series based at the challenging circuit Toronto Motorsport Park, located near the town of Cayuga. Our team brings many years of racing, officiating and business experience to the table. Our mission is to provide the safest ,most competitive, and most of all enjoyable racing experience possible.
    The series is geared towards novice club racing. There will be expert classes but the focus is on inclusion and genuine club racing. Our goal is to have a fun atmosphere with good value for your racing dollar. No shortened races. No three bike fields. No overly restrictive classes. We want you to come out and race with your buddies. Dust off that old steed in the corner and get it on the track again. I would like to think that if you have a bike that you want to race we will try to give you a place to do it
    S.O.A.R. is happy to be providing a minimum of two endurance races. One near the beginning of the season and one at the last round. They will be an exciting LeMans start and the final will be run into dark. There is opportunity to have more endurance if there is enough interest shown.
    We are taking a slightly different approach to racing in that there will be a race school available every Friday before a round. There is also a very limited track day segment included in our Friday practice days. This is done to include interested street riders into the exciting world of roadracing.
    There is so much to do and so little time. We are in the process of launching an interactive website and opening an official office. SOAR will be attending all bike shows with TMP as well. Until the official contacts are in place SOAR can be reached at SOARacing@gmail.com

Preliminary classes include:

Superbike
    Twins *
    Formula Two Stroke *
    Clubman Challenge (Air Cooled) *
    Lost Era (Min 12 years) *
    Vintage (Min 20 years) *
    Lightweights
    Rookie Cup (Under six races)
    Old Boys Club (Over 40 years old)
    Sidecars (select rounds)
    * Classes that will be sub divided

Schedule for 2009

May 15, 16, 17
    June 12, 13, 14 (Endurance Round)
    July 10, 11, 12 (in conjunction with the all bike shootout on the drag strip)
    Aug 7,8,9,
    Sept 11, 12, 13 (Endurance Round)
    Last edited by kneedragger88; 10-24-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Re: New Motorcycle Race Series at TMP in 09

No womens class eh?

Does Southern Ontario Association of Racing have an official website?
    Last edited by Yamaha_Gurl; 10-17-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    *~Maggie~*

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    No womens class eh?

Does Southern Ontario Association of Racing have an official website?
    The classes are just a start. Some may be added and some may be deleted. If there are enough women or monkeys for that matter a class can be added. As stated this series will be and morph into whatever the racing community wants it to be.
    The website is a work in progress. I didnt want to release this yet however there are too many rumours and false info around so the I felt it right to release it now and at least get some info out there.

Well the cat is outta the bag! We look forward to working with SOAR next season and will have more information as it becomes available.

the SOAR website will be up soon, we were not planning on making the announcement so soon, but as Ken stated, rumours about the series were already SOARING...
    Last edited by TMPracing; 10-17-2008 at 09:31 AM.

looking forward to it. TMP's track is in great shape, and I'm looking forward to seeing some good competition out there. Looking forward to the website launch and some more information.

Good for you Ken. Glad to see it getting off the ground.

Need a hand just call - strong back and a weak mind makes for a good little worker bee..

Thanks for the hook up the trackbike for sale too - with any luck (and a gob of $$$) I'll have something to ride to come out an play with you guys (and girls!).

All the best

Tarah

count me in
    www.89racing.com
    MotoDen/MW-Toronto, Accelerated Technologies, Clarington Cycle, Peterborough PowerSports, Galfer, Hindle

What sanctioning body are you working with?
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

How much will it cost to enter? What are the prizes?
    *~Maggie~*

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    The classes are just a start. Some may be added and some may be deleted. If there are enough women or monkeys for that matter a class can be added. As stated this series will be and morph into whatever the racing community wants it to be.
    The website is a work in progress. I didnt want to release this yet however there are too many rumours and false info around so the I felt it right to release it now and at least get some info out there.
    are you calling women monkeys?

sounds like a great idea especially with TMP being so close for a lot of riders!

I think the biggest thing for a lot of riders/racers would be the level of marshalling out there, track days are one thing, but having qualified marshalls at a race event is a must.

are racers going to need race licenses?

any idea if any of the tire suppliers are going to pay any contingency?

aaaahhh.. ok Maggie now I see what you were talking about!
    BUY MY BIKE!
    2007 Honda CRF 150R Big Wheel Supermoto with dirt wheels, $3600

Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt. - William Shakespare

We will answer all your questions as soon as all the details are finalized and ready for release.

As we stated, we were not planning this early announcement and not all the details have been worked out. Please watch for information on the new SOAR website which will go live soon as well as TMP's site.
    Please be patient.

thanks
    Last edited by TMPracing; 10-17-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic Trance View Post
    Why? Planning to win something?
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha_Gurl View Post
    How much will it cost to enter? What are the prizes?
    Cost will be similar to others in the industry. Our goal as stated is grass roots club racing where we WILL lead in value for your money. As stated we have released a base of classes some may survive some may not. Some may be added that are not shown. We did not really want to come live without having everything worked out however too many rumours were circulating that were inaccurate so better some info than the wrong info.
    If you have specific questions that we can answer we certainly will but I am sorry to say we dont have ALL the answers for you yet. Better still we would love to hear suggestions. What do you want to see? What is lacking in your racing program? Whats important to you as a racer? spectator?
    The exciting part is this is the first "new" series that I can remember in my twenty something years as a racer in Ontario. What better place to have a new birth than at a track thats experiencing a re-birth?

Quote Originally Posted by franz131 View Post
    Why? Planning to win something?
    Hey Franz you might qualify for the Old Boys Club

bike800

great idea. but i can see you losing out on some great racers if this runs on the same dates as RACE. but ill be there every round as long as it does not conflict with RACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic Trance View Post
    are you calling women monkeys?

sounds like a great idea especially with TMP being so close for a lot of riders!

I think the biggest thing for a lot of riders/racers would be the level of marshalling out there, track days are one thing, but having qualified marshalls at a race event is a must.

are racers going to need race licenses?

Racers will have to have a SOAR license like any other org. Its a safety issue where everyone has to be proven to have the basics in training.
    As for marshalling is concerned we are in the same boat as Calabogie where they are marshally challenged. Both MMS and CRCA have been contacted and are both welcome. Niether will contract outside they're home tracks.
    That leaves us with organizing our own service based at TMP. This will be a priority. I myself was a CRCA trained marshall before my racing days. I seniored corners at World Superbike, Canadian Superbike, NASCAR, Indy, and F1 during my few years as a marshall. I have also spoken to a few contacts in the marshall community and have commitments from them to assist in training new marshals. There is money set aside both up front and as an ongoing support for our marshall service. I am confident that we can have top notch marshalls compareable with any in the field.
    So ya wanna volunteer?

Quote Originally Posted by bike800 View Post
    great idea. but i can see you losing out on some great racers if this runs on the same dates as RACE. but ill be there every round as long as it does not conflict with RACE.
    Chris has had our schedule for weeks. Ball is in his court. So far I have not recieved RACEs schedule. A conflict will do none of us any good. Our goal is not to butt heads with RACE but simply fill a gap we see in the program and utilize a challenging track close to the GTA. This will especially appeal to SW Ontario and Western NY where the appeal to drive to Shanny may not be as great.

next year will be my first year racing, and would be great to join this from year 1. just a bit of a drive from ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    next year will be my first year racing, and would be great to join this from year 1. just a bit of a drive from ottawa.
    Maybe a good spot to sell some Amsoil?