Winter Storage - gas in tank or not?

Thread: Winter Storage - gas in tank or not?

Winter Storage - gas in tank or not?

Are there two schools of thought on this?

1. If I keep a full tank and add stabilizer over the winter will the gas be usable in the spring?.

2. If I completely drain the fuel system, is there a risk of rust developing inside the tank?
    One bike isn't enough.

Re: Winter Storage - gas in tank or not?

I have done both before. Generally I go the full route for the tank, put in stabilizer, run the bike for 5 minutes or so to get stabilized gas everywhere, then shut off the petcock and run the carbs dry (if possible). The first tank in the spring is generally not an all out ride, so the old and slightly stale gas isn't a big deal. When you get nice January days, the bike is ready for you too. I have done empty and no rust formed, but full seems safer for the tank (and any fire risk).
    Last edited by GreyGhost; 10-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.

I always do as full as possible. On past bikes, I had rust start on the little lip at the top where there was no gas. I add stabilizer to an almost empty tank, fill, ride a bit and then park and top up from a jerry can. You can run the carbs dry if you like as well. I found that doing so on some left the seals to dry out a bit though.

If the bike will be stored outside or in an unheated space where the temperature will vary a lot, full tank + stabilizer (but expect problems come spring start-up anyway). If the bike will be stored inside in a climate-controlled space, store it with the fuel tank bone dry.

If the temperature stays (close to) constant and the tank is sealed with the cap, no air and moisture will go in and out of the tank, so it won't corrode. Besides, for indoor storage, empty fuel tank is safer ... can't leak out and cause a fire if the tank is empty.

Or you can just ride through the winter

I've always stored my bikes in the garage with a full tank with stabilizer mixed in. NO problems at all starting in the spring. The whole point of stabilizer is that the gas doesn't go stale over the winter. You'll have no problems running that tank in the spring but if you're really worried, throw premium in there for the winter.

I have (many times) just pulled the bike into the garage, yanked the battery and left it until spring or VERY mild sunny winter day.

Suprisingly the world did not stop spinning.

And yes the bike fired up and ran great in the spring....
    ride - if you want to

If you empty the tank be SURE it is absolutely empty, and drain the carbs and leave the tank open.
    If you use stabilizer be sure to FILL the tank completely, to the brim and the tank sealed.

jay98

Full tank with stabilizer, then take it out for a run for 15 minutes so you work the stabilized gas in to the carbs, hoses, whatever you got and you should have a pretty good start when you take it out of storage. If you don't run it for a bit afterwards you can get a rough start, which will clear up after a few minutes.

This will be my first winter storing a bike, but I'm going to do the same thing I do with the cars, full tank of fuel, Sunoco 94 & stabilizer. Have not had a problem in 15 years or more doing it this way. Other brands of fuel seem to go bad faster than Sunoco 94, so I'm staying with what works.
    Get in sit down buckle up and shut up and hang on !