Motorcycle HID Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle HID Kit

Thumbs up Motorcycle HID Kit

I remember seeing someone ask about HID kits for motorcycles. This is where I bought mine for my BMW, I haven't installed it yet, but I don't really see a problem. They are built for motorcycles so you don't need to worry about water or rain getting into ths ballast. They even offer a discount if you belong to another message board that they support. neet thing is they are from the TO region.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Motorcycle..._Kits_s/34.htm

Here is how to install

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/2004_BMW_K...rade_s/171.htm

Garry
    IBAID 26718
    BMWMOA 117552
    2011 K1600GTL NOW RIDING
    2007 Piaggio MP3 (wifes)

Re: Motorcycle HID Kit

Thats a little expensive, I get those kits locally for $100

Here's a link to my earlier thread about HIDs
    Apparently they are illegal....

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=70345

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Thats a little expensive, I get those kits locally for $100
    Would you like to share from where we can get it locally for $100?

there are kits all over craiglist, slim digital ballasts too

Quote Originally Posted by programmerbiker View Post
    Would you like to share from where we can get it locally for $100?
    Just your average JDM ricer, civic tunning shop......Still trying to get the name of the place, but they stock these kits in Hi/low H4/H7 for around $100.

refector housings aren't intended for use with HID. If you want HID's, the right way to do it would be to go to autowreckers and get a light bulb projector from an Acura/Lexus/BMW etc, and retrofit it into your bike's noce, then buy an HIS kit and install.

But if you just want whiter light and don't care about blinding traffic, go ahead and buy a $100 kit and stick it into you bike's stock headlight.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    refector housings aren't intended for use with HID. If you want HID's, the right way to do it would be to go to autowreckers and get a light bulb projector from an Acura/Lexus/BMW etc, and retrofit it into your bike's noce, then buy an HIS kit and install.

But if you just want whiter light and don't care about blinding traffic, go ahead and buy a $100 kit and stick it into you bike's stock headlight.
    Times have changed bud, and most of the newer kits on the market are designed to be installed on cars/bikes that dont have projectors...And the proper cut off shields are already installed over the bulb itself, so you dont blind people with straight HID...They even have Hi/Low beam operation.....

My 03 R6 already had projectors in the headlights, so I just used a HID setup from a Navigator.....You could still blind people if you didnt set them up with the proper cutoff
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 10-14-2008 at 10:00 AM.

I love how people make up random sh*t they know nothing about. A lot of cars came stock with HIDs with reflectors. My IS300 was one of them.

It's all about the design of the reflector assembly. Some are better than others. The cutoff on my 1000RR was a perfectly straight line - immaculate light distribution on the roadway.

You are wrong. Am I supposed to really believe that you in all your wisdom are somehow more in the know about automotive lighting than the expert engineers employed by light manufacturers just because you have installed an ebay kit in your stock reflector (against all manufacturer's recommendatioons I might add). I mean if you want to go ahead...but don't go online and say that it is the right way to do it...some newb will believe you.

The projectors engineered for halogens are not the same lens shape and ellipsoid as the ones designed for an HID...and for good reason. The actual light front (the "flame" if you will) inside the bulb that actually produces the light is a completely different shape, and requires the projector to focus the light in a completely different fashion. The simple cutoff line is only one of the problems with sticking HID bulbs into stock reflectors or even projectors designed for halogens.
    Putting an HID bulb into your stock bike's headlight enclosure without using a projector specifically engineered to focus HID light will NOT result in the correct beam pattern.

This pic is a correct beam pattern for HID.

This is HID's in free form reflectors for halogens:

Here's a good install, but the author said it took 2 days to complete.
    List of parts: setup is using Hella E55 projectors, Kyoto(lexus) D4S ballasts, and D4s Bulbs
    http://www.devilchrist.net/zx10r_hid_retro/index.htm
    Last edited by omnivore; 10-15-2008 at 11:05 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

I picked up a HID kit from http://store.f-sane.com/ for my bike in a group buy on a forum he supports, I think it was $145 shipped but anyways. The cutoff sucks as they are just in stock housings but I got them for the more light production (6000k) since I ride a lot on country roads at night and the high beam is stupid bright! BUT the low beam doesnt blind others on the road either so its all good.

You are wrong.
    Whatever buddy. Re-read my post.

Trying to compare a Lexus's stock reflector that was designed 100% to fucos the light from an HID bulb, which the car was equipped with when it left the factory, to one in a CBR sportbike that was designed 100% to focus the light produced by a halogen bulb is apples and oranges. The CBR's reflector will in no way properly focus the light or create an accurate cutoff. Maybe to the untrained eye, sure. But if tested against the correct projector for HID purposes, the homemade jury rigged setup will show it's faults quite readily.
    Generally people who just want to have that super white light look, are fooled into thinking that HID's in their stock reflector housings are working for them because they immeadiately see a huge difference in light volume, but quality of beam focus will be sacrificed .
    Sure a reflector can be designed to use HID's...but the question remains....Are there ANY sportbike reflectors yet to date designed like that?
    Nope.
    Last edited by omnivore; 10-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Lightbulb HIR solution

This is one alternative to stock bulbs that does make a difference, does not require any ballasts or rewiring, retains the stock beam and does not cost an arm and a leg:

Sold here: http://www.finemotoring.com

Some other links for those who want to learn more about headlights:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736
    http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-filament-bulbs.htm
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

refector housings aren't intended for use with HID.
    Trying to compare a Lexus's stock reflector that was designed 100% to fucos the light from an HID bulb
    You go ahead and argue with yourself. I'm done trying to explain this yet again.

The CBR's reflector will in no way properly focus the light or create an accurate cutoff.
    Says who? You? Have you ever tried it? Of course not. You're in internet expert who read some website by a self-proclaimed 'lighting consultant' by the name of Daniel Stern, and you suddenly know all about lighting. I can assure you with 100% confidence that the 2004/2005 1000RR reflectors will give you a perfect cutoff with a properly based H7 HID kit.

Don't mislead people into thinking everybody needs to go through expensive and time-consuming retrofits. You sound like a projector salesperson.

Generally people who just want to have that super white light look, are fooled into thinking that HID's in their stock reflector housings are working for them because they immeadiately see a huge difference in light volume, but quality of beam focus will be sacrificed .
    COMPLETELY agree...

used to have crappy Chinese HIDs H4s in my Civic stock headlamp. Beam pattern goes ALL OVER the place, even if you aim it onto the road. It used to blind people like no tomorrow. The stock housing reflects the HID beam and scatters it. If you turn on the HIDs against a wall at night, there is absolutely NO focus, just big blobs of light...

I got TYC Projectors now and the beam is much more focused. Projectors actually allow for cut off, not just HID light scattered all over the place. Aiming projectors; sharp cutoff allows you to have the beam patter hit the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

There are actualy measurements for proper cutoff. Here it is for a civic: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...k-warning.html

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    COMPLETELY agree...

used to have crappy Chinese HIDs H4s in my Civic stock headlamp. Beam pattern goes ALL OVER the place, even if you aim it onto the road. It used to blind people like no tomorrow. The stock housing reflects the HID beam and scatters it. If you turn on the HIDs against a wall at night, there is absolutely NO focus, just big blobs of light...

I got TYC Projectors now and the beam is much more focused. Projectors actually allow for cut off, not just HID light scattered all over the place. Aiming projectors; sharp cutoff allows you to have the beam patter hit the road without blinding oncoming traffic.

There are actualy measurements for proper cutoff. Here it is for a civic: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...k-warning.html

The guy in the example you linked seemed to get a very reasonable cut-off with his cheapy civic OEM reflectors!

Quote Originally Posted by 99CBRF4 View Post
    You go ahead and argue with yourself. I'm done trying to explain this yet again.

Says who? You? Have you ever tried it? Of course not. You're in internet expert who read some website by a self-proclaimed 'lighting consultant' by the name of Daniel Stern, and you suddenly know all about lighting. I can assure you with 100% confidence that the 2004/2005 1000RR reflectors will give you a perfect cutoff with a properly based H7 HID kit.

Don't mislead people into thinking everybody needs to go through expensive and time-consuming retrofits. You sound like a projector salesperson.
    Actually, nothing close to an expert.....and don't claim to be. But I do stand by the fact that if you aren't going to bother doing something as important as headlights properly, better to leave them alone .That's why I rely on professional advice of engineers to figure that out. If Merceds Benz/BMW etc could have gotten EQUAL performance out of a cheap tin, free-form reflector housing for it's HID's, don't you think that they would have used them? Becasue you have a nice straight cutoff line on your CBR, doesn't mean that your headlight performance is equal to what you would have, with your existing H7 HID kit installed in proper projector units. The cutoff line is only one of the problems many people have with HID's in halogen housings. Not even discussing cutoff, because you assure me you have that one part taken care of...now take a good look at the curvature of a halogen projector lens, then look at an HID one. The lens on a halogen one is much more bulbous, reason being it requires a different shape to focus the beam down the roadway, because the flame front inside a halogen bulb is much different than the front in an HID bulb. Asking a reflector/projector, that is intended and designed for use with a halogen bulb, to perform with an HID bulb will not focus or project light nearly as far down the roadway as a true HID lens will. I am not saying that you haven't made it work to YOUR satisfaction, but I bet dollars to donuts that what you have isn't EQUAL perfomance to true HID retrofit....probably not anywhere close. I am quite certain that neither you, nor I, am anywhere as close to as well versed as any high end auto manufacturer's lighting experts, or Danial Stern for that matter.
    If you
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6

Does anyone know where this local shop that sells these kits for $100? Johnnyp if your reading can you jog your memory, I pm'd you!
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 10-19-2008 at 08:09 PM.

What is the legal Hid brightness limit in toronto? 8000k? ....maybe 25000k lol?